.99 cent bin WEST COAST JAZZ discovery (+ bonus item)

"Chewy's most important thread ever"?. Allow me to retort. Not as long as the documentation of your phone call with Lou Donaldson lives in the hearts and minds of Organissimo posters everywhere. You're going to have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat that one to the bar.

Up over and out.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to agree with Dave, Chewy. That was one of this board's finest moments.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

GOT THE WOODY HERMAN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not the orig crown issue unfortunatltly, but its the same one as the kenton: the "collectors" edition on Bright Oragnge records

never heard of these songs: are these really woody sogs?

MONTMARTE BUS RIDE/ARUBA/Darn that dream/CROWN ROYAL/I cant get started

THE GRIND/OFF SHORE/SINGLE O/AFTER GLOW/ HERMOSA BEACH

John La Porte [sic-Porta]- cl, alto

al cohn, joe romano, don lanphere- tenors

marty flax- bs

DANNY STILES- tpt ??????

BERNIE GLOW- tpt ????

Hal Posey- tpt ????

al forte- tpt????

willie thomas- tpt???

alvin steweart--tpt???

frank rehak- tb ?????

bill byres- tb??

wayne andre- tb???

Charley Henry- tb?>?

eddie costa- vibes

bill potts- piano?????? (whos this espically?)

jack six- bass

jim campbel- drums ???

from eddie cost discog-- same personel-- jsnrgy thought these were 2 separete recording sessions i think-- hmm u think its jus the song titles were altered?

Members of the Woody Herman Orchestra Crown CST 133 "Tribute to Woody Herman"

Danny Stiles, Bernie Glow, Hal Posey, Al Forte, Willie Thomas, tp; Frank Rehak, Billy Byers, Wayne André, Charlie Henry, tb; John La Porta,cl; Al Cohn, Joe Romano, Don Lanphere, ts; Marty Flax, bs; Eddie Costa, vb; Bill Potts, p; Jack Six, b; Jimmy Campbell, d; Maxwell Davis, cond.

a. Woodchopper's ball

b. Northwest passage

c. Apple honey

d. Goosey gander

e. Four brothers

f. Blue flame

g. Wild root

h. Bijou

i. Blowin' up a storm

Recorded 1957 or 1958

from eddie cost discog-- same personel-- jsnrgy thought these were 2 separete recording sessions i think-- hmm u think its jus the song titles were altered?

Danny Stiles, Bernie Glow, Hal Posey, Al Forte, Willie Thomas, tp; Frank Rehak, Billy Byers, Wayne André, Charlie Henry, tb; John La Porta,cl; Al Cohn, Joe Romano, Don Lanphere, ts; Marty Flax, bs; Eddie Costa, vb; Bill Potts, p; Jack Six, b; Jimmy Campbell, d; Maxwell Davis, cond.

a. Woodchopper's ball

b. Northwest passage

c. Apple honey

d. Goosey gander

e. Four brothers

f. Blue flame

g. Wild root

h. Bijou

i. Blowin' up a storm

Recorded 1957 or 1958

That's the album/session I have. Mighty fine stuff!

Maybe because you haven't paid enough attention to the sidemen lists of those (bigger) bands of that time? :rolleyes:

Bernie Glow was with the Woody Herman herd of the 40s long enough to have left traces in discographies, for example.

Also check out this (found through googling) if you want to read more ;)

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/profiles/Bernie%20Glow.htm

GOT THE WOODY HERMAN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not the orig crown issue unfortunatltly, but its the same one as the kenton: the "collectors" edition on Bright Oragnge records

never heard of these songs: are these really woody sogs?

MONTMARTE BUS RIDE/ARUBA/Darn that dream/CROWN ROYAL/I cant get started

THE GRIND/OFF SHORE/SINGLE O/AFTER GLOW/ HERMOSA BEACH

John La Porte [sic-Porta]- cl, alto

al cohn, joe romano, don lanphere- tenors

marty flax- bs

DANNY STILES- tpt ??????

BERNIE GLOW- tpt ????

Hal Posey- tpt ????

al forte- tpt????

willie thomas- tpt???

alvin steweart--tpt???

frank rehak- tb ?????

bill byres- tb??

wayne andre- tb???

Charley Henry- tb?>?

eddie costa- vibes

bill potts- piano?????? (whos this espically?)

jack six- bass

jim campbel- drums ???

Hi Chewy,

See my previous post re: these tunes. The personnel on the Bright Orange reissue is wrong and it's very likely the origin of subsequent mistakes. The original Crown LP doesn't give any details re: personnel although it gives the exact date of recording, and I guess whoever did the sleeve for the Bright Orange assumed that the personnel was the same for both LPs.

However, at least Bruyninckx gives both takes on this session (one under Maxwell Davies and the other under Herman) but more importantly in Woody Herman: Chronicles of the Herds by William D. Clancy and Audree Coke Kenton very concrete details are given about the session with Montmartre, Aruba, etc, the date and the location. For starters these were recorded in Chicago, so you can almost certainly forget about Glow, Cohn, Byers, André, Rehak or Costa being on it.

So:

- Woodchopper's ball, Northwest passage, Apple honey, Goosey gander, Four brothers, Blue flame, Wild root, Bijou, Blowin' up a storm were recorded by a studio band *without Woody Herman* including some musicians connected with him. The tunes are all from the First Herd book, except Woodchopper's and Brothers. Recorded in NYC, c. early 1959. Published as MEMBERS OF THE WOODY HERMAN ORCHESTRA - TRIBUTE TO WOODY HERMAN (Crown CST 133 or 5103).

- Montmartre Bus Ride, Aruba, Darn that dream, Crown Royal, I cant get started, The Grind, Off Shore, Single O, After Glow, Hermosa Beach were recorded by the then current Woody Herman Band, in Chicago on March 22, 1960. Released originally as THE NEW SWINGIN' HERMAN HERD (Crown 205 or 5180), then reissued as REAL BIG BAND MUSIC LIVES AGAIN - STEREOPHONIC SOUND OF "THE HERMAN HERD" (Bright Orange X-BO-717) and CROWN ROYAL LaserLight (CD 15 775).

F

PS Bernie Glow was one of those studio guys who had been in big bands in the 40s and that you'll find anywhere in those big band records of the fifties by people like Al Cohn, Billy Byers, Manny Albam... and in Miles Davis recordings with Gil Evans.

so marcello why havent i heard of these guys? who did they play with

Bernie Glow, Hal Posey, Al Forte, and Willie Thomas were part of one of the all time great Woody Herman trumpet sections.

Mr. Glow is especially well known on many sessions.

Danny Stiles, is on many NYC based recordings.

Same with Wayne Andre' who played with Thad and Mel and is on many CTI recordings.andre1.gif

Jimmy Campbell played with Woody, Kenton amd Maynard (Ithink) and eded his days in Vegas.

Jack Six played with Brubeck ( now again) and Goodman.

Joe Romano, who just passed away last week, played with Mangione, Buddy, Woody, Sam Noto and lots of others over the years.

Chewy, I could go on and on but you really should know Bill Potts, Eddie Costa, Marty Flax, Don Lanphere and Al Cohn, of course.

THE NEW SWINGIN' HERMAN HERD (Crown 205 or 5180, "stereo" or "hi-fi").

Is identical to

REAL BIG BAND MUSIC LIVES AGAIN - STEREOPHONIC SOUND OF "THE HERMAN HERD" (Bright Orange X-BO-717).

Is identical to

CROWN ROYAL (LaserLight , CD 15 775) , with four added tracks from a different session.

c41204721t9.jpg

DATE: March 22, 1960

PERSONNEL: Rolf Ericson, Don Rader, Bill Chase, John Bennett, Paul Fontaine (tp) Ken McGarity, Jimmy Guinn, George Hanna (tb) Woody Herman (cl, as, voc) Gus Maas (fl,ts) Don Lanphere, Larry McKenna (ts) Jimmy Mosher (bar) Marty Harris (p) Larry Rockwell (b) Jimmy Campbell (d) Ralph Burns (arr).

TUNES: Montmartre Bus Ride, Aruba, DARN THAT DREAM, CROWN ROYAL, I Can't Get Started, The Grind, Off Shore, Single O, Afterglow, HERMOSA BEACH. According to the LaserLight CD booklet, Lanphere solos on Darn that Dream, Crown Royal and Hermosa Beach.

F

Don Lanphere was a great tenor saxophonist and a great person and if you guys haven't checked him out yet, you best be doing so, asap. some of you might rememember him from a c. 1949 fats navarro date, the one which produced the songs "Stop", "Go", etc

these crown lps are the missing link. I do not know a complete discog for don (anyone????) but i have the 1949 stuff. then the gene roland big band stuff from a few yrs later, which if you guys dont know, is a rehersal tape of an innovative ten piece big band- members of this big band not only included don lanphere, but also a mr. charles "the bird" park appeared in the alto sax section.

brings me to my next point we not only owe don for his own saxophone improvisiation solos, but we owe a great debt to what we know about charlie parker from him. don was personally responsible (along w/ people sometimes such as jimmy knepper) for recorded bird in concert. many intregal bird concert dates physically exist to this day on tape thanks to don, im not sure how many of you this board know about this- organnimsmo never has been to "bird-centric" but surely one of yous the bird nut- i just dont know who.....who is the biggest bird collector on organismo...i wonder.....me myself, I know about the twenty minute rendition of "lover come back to me" which is the one of the chief coolest moments in all of charlie parker history. I really hope you guys are hip to this. It sounds amazing.

Of course, the Bird holy grail, which i have only heard once, through my telephone handset, via a call to the country in central europe, Slovenia. (very beautiful women there, btw)- anyways, when The Bird, The Mobe, and The Stitt are "trading fours" on the changes to ornothology, it is DEFINITIVE. no other 1 min. 45 seconds ever in Jazz, were like the 1 min. 45 seconds here on this night. If I ever go to Europe, I would make a point to visit my friend so I can hear it again. I'm thinking I'll get over there by at least '12: or whenever it is that Peter Gabriel decides he's ready for the GENESIS REUNION TOUR

DUH BIG BEST STEVE DIDNTY U SEE MY LAST EMAIL, OF COURSE I KNOW WHO ALL ***THOSE*** GUYS ARE, (excpt bill potts....who he?)

anyways omg read my last post.....D.L. was my friend who was an amazing musican and was a pioneering participant in modern jazz. One time he came over to my pad and he was showin me what he was doin on the changes to the tune "Thinking of Home" by Hank Mobley.

Another great area jazz guitar player you guys should be hip to is RICHARD DANGEL. His contribution to american music is vastly significant

DUH BIG BEST STEVE DIDNTY U SEE MY LAST EMAIL, OF COURSE I KNOW WHO ALL ***THOSE*** GUYS ARE, (excpt bill potts....who he?)

Off the cuff, he did a Porgy and Bess for United Artists c. 1959 with a big band full of big names, IIRC.

Here it is.

F

Bill Potts did another fine big band album in 1987 on Jazz Mark, the title is "555 Feet High". He is also known for his arrangements for the 1960's Buddy Rich Big Band.

Well, Gents, with all your enthusiasm about this Crown/Bright Orange series you got me curious!

So when I stopped by our local used records shop to check out the "Jazz Special Offers" bin I took the plunge and grabbed the copies of the Woody Herman and Charlie Barnet tribute LPs from that series that seemed to have been waiting for me there:

- Woody Herman on Bright Orange X-BO 707 (the one with the more familiar titles from the Herman book)

- Tribute to Charlie Barnet on CROWN CST-131 (red vinyl!)

At 3.75 euros for both (both in very, very decent condition) I guess I could have done a lot worse, really ...

So I'll be looking forward to giving them (and the Ellington disc I already had but apprently hadn't appreciated properly ;)) a spin later on!

Well, Gents, with all your enthusiasm about this Crown/Bright Orange series you got me curious!

So when I stopped by our local used records shop to check out the "Jazz Special Offers" bin I took the plunge and grabbed the copies of the Woody Herman and Charlie Barnet tribute LPs from that series that seemed to have been waiting for me there:

- Woody Herman on Bright Orange X-BO 707 (the one with the more familiar titles from the Herman book)

- Tribute to Charlie Barnet on CROWN CST-131 (red vinyl!)

At 3.75 euros for both (both in very, very decent condition) I guess I could have done a lot worse, really ...

So I'll be looking forward to giving them (and the Ellington disc I already had but apprently hadn't appreciated properly ;)) a spin later on!

Hello Big Beat Steve

Could you please tell me whether there are any details about the personnel and especially the date of recording on the sleeve of the Herman LP?

Thanks in advance,

F

@Fer Urbina

This record was discussed earlier in this thread:

a. Woodchopper's ball

b. Northwest passage

c. Apple honey

d. Goosey gander

e. Four brothers

f. Blue flame

g. Wild root

h. Bijou

i. Blowin' up a storm

Recorded 1957 or 1958

My Bright Orange 70s reissue of this LP listes the same personnel except that it ADDITIONALLY lists Alvin Stewart in the trumpet section.

No recording dates given.

Walter Bruyninckx' discography gives a tentative recording date of 1958/59.

Sorry, that's all I can tell.

S

Hi, Big Beat

I've followed the discussion indeed. I was asking about the Bright Orange sleeve specifically (I do have the original Crown), just in case it carried something else. I guessed it wouldn't, but you never know.

I'm aware of what's in the regular sources too. I have a very tentative date for this of early 1959, but nothing definite.

THANKS!

F