Anybody familiar with James Booker?

The Mule

Guy I just met who lives in New Orleans told me some totally outrageous stories about blues piano player James Booker. If he can be described in one sentence it is: Black, gay, one-eyed, drug-addict piano prodigy.

Based on what this guy told me I have to run right out and pick up some sides.

Anybody know about him and, if so, have any recommendations?

Eastwood seemed to have skipped him in his "Blues" documentary.... <_<

Isn't this the cat that taught Harry Connick?

Yeah, that's him. This guy I met was telling me a story about one of Booker's last recording sessions. He spoke to the bass player who told him that from where he was standing he could see the ends of the piano's keyboard, but he couldn't see Booker. On one number, Booker was playing some wild solo with his arms outstretched, one hand playing on each end of the piano. Suddenly there was a third sound coming from the piano. The bass player couldn't figure out what Booker was doing so he leaned in to get a better look and saw that Booker's partial dentures had fallen out onto the keyboard and Booker had his face on the keys trying to suck the false teeth back into his mouth. He never stopped playing as he chased his teeth around the keys....

This was just one story from two hours worth that I heard today...

Booker was pretty FLAMBOYANT. There's a lot about him in DR JOHN'S autibiography that came out a couple of years ago. I think it was called UNDERNEATH THE VOODOO MOON. In any event, it was a pretty good book. Booker was a huge influence on Dr. John both singing and playing.

Booker reputedly ghosted piano parts for Fats Domino and Little Richard, moreso as a recording expediency, rather than any insufficiency on the part of Fats or Little Richard. He played organ also and played that instrument on YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN, a pretty hip instrumental by the PHIL UPCHURCH COMBO. He recorded under the name Little Booker for Ace. In the late 70s and early 80s there were at least 3 or 4 lps out by Booker. I remember one was called CLASSIFIED.

James Booker could flat out play. There were a number of great individual New Orleans R&B pianists. Booker was the real virtuoso of the bunch. He could do what everyone else did and more.

There are several CDs of his around. The one on Rounder, for example, is excellent: "New Orleans: Piano Wizard: Live!"

Edited by John L