Jazz is the philosophers stone of new "indie rock"

SpaceEquator

Aside from the amazing modern jazz movements of the late 80s and 90s there seems to be something else going on, Bands like Tortoise and the Chicago Underground led inpart by guitarist Jeff Parker seem to tastefully and timelessly blend archetypal aesthics from rock and pop that have been overlooked by alot of"jazz gurus" ive come to know.

Each generation i believe has a sincere contribution to add to the immortal organism that has become jazz music.

What alot of people i discuss music with seem to disreguard is that Human kinds unconcious as a whole is ever changing and one of the only mediums/outlets to display this evolution is through jazz music/modern art.

So take a dive in, dont be afraid:

check out bands like "Icy Demons", "Tortoise", "Chicago Underground Trio/Quartet", "Q-Tip", "Daedalus", "SpaceEquator" ;) , "Jega Jazzist", "Sequins and Skeletons", even "Radiohead", And then listen to albums like "heartcore" by kurt rosenwinkel, and Brad Mehldau playing Paranoid Android....

id say 20% of great musicians these days 'get it' and the light switch gets flipped on.

If feel like alot of creativity in jazz is lost in the educational system...not the education itself but the university atmosphere....to me there is something much more romantic/original about an uneducated movement from the same personality types that create interesting rock and roll AND JAZZ ...(cant we all just get along?)

something much more grassroots, like a true renaissance of jazz.

and to take it for granted would be to overlook a new chunk of jazz history.

In this day and age there is such a polarization between even genres of music that unconcious prejudices keep your musical ear from evolving.

dont be stuck in power chords and distortion and not bathing, and dont be stuck in II,V,I's, Pink Panther Theme Songs, and Minor Pentatonic either.

Of course after reading this I even realize "Wow...Im really Idealistic", but i discover its not the genres im nit picky over its the community as a whole.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont be stuck in power chords and distortion and not bathing, and dont be stuck in II,V,I's, Pink Panther Theme Songs, and Minor Pentatonic either.

That reminds me of Kenny G for some reason. :w Pentatonic Fairy somethin or nother....

Maybe Kenny G's music is the end result of our ever-changing "unconcious".

Aside from the amazing modern jazz movements of the late 80s and 90s there seems to be something else going on, Bands like Tortoise and the Chicago Underground led inpart by guitarist Jeff Parker seem to tastefully and timelessly blend archetypal aesthics from rock and pop that have been overlooked by alot of"jazz gurus" ive come to know.

Each generation i believe has a sincere contribution to add to the immortal organism that has become jazz music.

What alot of people i discuss music with seem to disreguard is that Human kinds unconcious as a whole is ever changing and one of the only mediums/outlets to display this evolution is through jazz music/modern art.

check out bands like "Icy Demons", "Tortoise", "Chicago Underground Trio/Quartet", "Q-Tip", "Daedalus", "SpaceEquator" ;) , "Jega Jazzist", "Sequins and Skeletons", even "Radiohead", And then listen to albums like "heartcore" by kurt rosenwinkel, and Brad Mehldau playing Paranoid Android....

id say 20% of great musicians these days 'get it' and the light switch gets flipped on.

If feel like alot of creativity in jazz is lost in the educational system...not the education itself but the university atmosphere....to me there is something much more romantic/original about an uneducated movement from the same personality types that create interesting rock and roll AND JAZZ ...(cant we all just get along?)

In this day and age there is such a polarization between even genres of music that unconcious prejudices keep your musical ear from evolving.

Of course after reading this I even realize "Wow...Im really Idealistic", but i discover its not the genres im nit picky over its the community as a whole.

I thnk I hear what you're trying to say, and would like to mostly agree with you, at least in principal, if I could be sure.

In the meantime, two words for you babe - Monday Michiru.

Space Equator, I have heard Tortoise, Chicago Underground Trio, Radiohead, the Heartcore album, and Mehldau playing "Paranoid Android." I have found them all appealing, some more than others. I have not heard the rest of the musicians you have mentioned. Would you be so good as to briefly describe the music of Icy Demons, Q-Tip, Daedalus, Space Equator, Jega Jazzist. and Sequins and Skeletons? I would really like to know about them.

Would you be so good as to briefly describe the music of Icy Demons, Q-Tip, Daedalus, Space Equator, Jega Jazzist. and Sequins and Skeletons? I would really like to know about them.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Q-Tip

(the thread starter, http://www.myspace.com/spaceequatorhome - minimalistic layout!)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=72971308

How many people have their music on myspace? OMG, must be like, you know, something like 4.000.000.000? LOL. Awesome!

youtubemyspaceyoutubemyspaceyoutubemyspaceyoutubemyspaceyoutubemyspace

youtubemyspaceyoutubemyspace OMG! YouTube is ruining salvia for everybody else! youtubemyspaceyoutubemyspaceyoutubemyspace

facebookfacebookfacebookfacebookfacebookmyspacefuckitthanksfortheadd

Edited by rockefeller center

Would you be so good as to briefly describe the music of Icy Demons, Q-Tip, Daedalus, Space Equator, Jega Jazzist. and Sequins and Skeletons? I would really like to know about them.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Q-Tip

(the thread starter, http://www.myspace.com/spaceequatorhome - minimalistic layout!)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=72971308

How many people have their music on myspace? OMG, must be like, you know, something like 4.000.000.000? LOL. Awesome!

youtubemyspaceyoutubemyspace OMG! YouTube is ruining salvia for everybody else! youtubemyspaceyoutubemyspaceyoutubemyspace

facebookfacebookfacebookfacebookfacebookmyspacefuckitthanksfortheadd

I would still like to get Space Equator's words on these bands, though.

If we all just went to YouTube and My Space for all information about music, there would be no need for this board.

I find it ironic that a board that produces a 5 page thread about 40-50 year old Blue Note recordings losing their charm is so quick to dismiss this thread.

Which four more pages than the Best of 2008 Jazz list thread.

While the op's writing style is very awkward it does seem strange that on a Jazz Discussion Forum their aren't a lot of people that support new Jazz artists. Seems to be more bashing of anybody that gets any type of positive press/ promotion than support. I know that isn't entirely true but it seems that way here sometimes.

I find it ironic that a board that produces a 5 page thread about 40-50 year old Blue Note recordings losing their charm is so quick to dismiss this thread.

While the op's writing style is very awkward it does seem strange that on a Jazz Discussion Forum their aren't a lot of people that support new Jazz artists. Seems to be more bashing of anybody that gets any type of positive press/ promotion than support. I know that isn't entirely true but it seems that way here sometimes.

Well, see, we're all extremely jaded with Hard Bop and Blue Note's formulaic approach and prefer to talk about car manufacturers and politics - even to Weizen Jr :)

MG

And four more pages than the thread about organissimo's videos on YouTube... you know, the band that actually owns this board.

I have been frustrated by the lack of discussion of new artists on this board for years. What I have found is that younger people are generally more open to cross-pollination of musical ideas than older jazz fans, which is ironic considering jazz is supposed to be "free" and "expressive" and all that.

Before anyone gets defensive, I'm not singling out anyone here. Just a general observation from being in the trenches, so to speak.