Blue Note

Peter

It has to happen eventually. I've been buying Blue Note CD re-issues for 10-15 years now (when did the connoisseurs first come out???). Certainly they've been re-cycling for years now. Connoisseurs are OOP so now we see RVGs. Doesn't seem like there's anything left. Of course Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence hasn't been re-issued in the US. Anything else in the Blue Note Vaults would re-issuing?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Horace Silver "Silver 'N'..." albums from the early 70s ever been released on CD?

I have a strong recollection of the very late 60s, that my friends and I thought that what Blue Note was putting out then was pretty mediocre. Unfortunately, I don't recall any titles. I just recall that James Spaulding was always on flute. To my knowledge those titles haven't been released on CD, but I wouldn't be interested in them if they were.

Still lots of unissued stuff in the vaults. I run across sessions all the time I'd love hear. A Freddie Roach unissued I was just looking at. Also, some John Patton I'd like to see...

What sessions are you referring to ? What little is left in the vaults are rejects ? I once owned the discography.

Most of the sessions with James Spaulding that I can think of have been reissued, except for T. Washington's Natural Essence. I like 'em, YMMV. We're not quite at the bottom of the barrell, but it's getting close. But as the last two Stan T's before Dearly Beloved (the midsized late '0s dates, Prodigal Son and Bluish Bag) show, bottom of the barrell can still be pretty sweet. I'd like to hear the two jimmy Web tunes left off GG's Carryin' On! and I think Sngry would too...

plenty of older jazz they could reissue... the rest of the George Lewis sessions, the Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis, the Swingtet material, and most of all the Art Hodes! Also I think not all of the Bechet material was recently out on CD, but then I just may have missed a couple of those late 80s CDs (seems back then almost anything was on CD at one time... but a lot of it was OOP by the time I started buying CDs in the mid-late 90s).

Surely there must be some issuable tracks from rejected sessions that would make up a couple of very tasty 'Rare Groove' cds.

Why would you want all that formulaic stuff?

:rolleyes:

I think John's idea is a great one - a Rare Grooves Lost Sessions. Maybe Michael could even include a track from the Grant Green - Gene Harris date.

711px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895_2.jpg

Would make nice bonus cuts on a 'Natural Essence' reissue. Love Joe Chambers on 'Natural Essence'!!! I think there is a fair amount of Freddie Roach stuff that hasn't been on domestic CD, though some of it is pretty poor. I would like to see the New Heritage Keyboard Quartet session from the early 70's on CD. I think there are several Horace Parlan's which have not been on domestic CD, and they're good. Some Duke Pearson trio stuff from the early 60's. The Jutta Hipp Hickory House albums. A Jackie McLean late 60's session with Moncur which was on one of those Brown-covered twofers in the 70's/80's. Still some Jones/Lewis to go. Some 50's Hank Mobley. There's still plenty that is worthy, if not essential ('Natural Essence' is essential).

Edited by felser

Seems to me that there's TONS of BN stuff that's not easy to get and which I would love to see re-issued domestically. Some more-or-less random examples:

Curtis Fuller: "Bone & Bari" and "Vol. 3"

Clifford Jordan: "Cliff Jordan" and "Cliff Craft"

Elvin Jones: all of his BN albums

Jackie Mclean: "One Step Beyond", "High Frequency" and "Hipnosis"

Donald Byrd: "Byrd in Flight", "I'm Tryin' to Get Home", "Chant" and "The Creeper"

Bobby Hutcherson: "Total Eclipse"

Duke Pearson: "Profile", "Tender Feelin's" and "Wahoo"

Lou Donaldson: "Good Gracious"

Blue Mitchell: "Step Lightly," "Bring it Home to Me" and "Heads Up"

Hank Mobley: "A Slice of the Top"

Larry Young: "Contrasts" and "Heaven on Earth"

Lee Morgan: "The Rajah"

Booker Ervin: "The In Between"

Wayne Shorter: "Odyssey of Iska"

I don't think BN is in any danger of running out of good music to re-issue any time soon.