Blue Note

Peter

Seems to me that there's TONS of BN stuff that's not easy to get and which I would love to see re-issued domestically. Some more-or-less random examples:

Curtis Fuller: "Bone & Bari" and "Vol. 3"

Clifford Jordan: "Cliff Jordan" and "Cliff Craft"

Elvin Jones: all of his BN albums

Jackie Mclean: "One Step Beyond", "High Frequency" and "Hipnosis"

Donald Byrd: "Byrd in Flight", "I'm Tryin' to Get Home", "Chant" and "The Creeper"

Bobby Hutcherson: "Total Eclipse"

Duke Pearson: "Profile", "Tender Feelin's" and "Wahoo"

Lou Donaldson: "Good Gracious"

Blue Mitchell: "Step Lightly," "Bring it Home to Me" and "Heads Up"

Hank Mobley: "A Slice of the Top"

Larry Young: "Contrasts" and "Heaven on Earth"

Lee Morgan: "The Rajah"

Booker Ervin: "The In Between"

Wayne Shorter: "Odyssey of Iska"

I don't think BN is in any danger of running out of good music to re-issue any time soon.

That's a nice list. Not meant to chastise, but a lot of those could have been purchased when the Mosaic boxes were in print.

Maybe you weren't collecting then.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice list. Not meant to chastise, but a lot of those could have been purchased when the Mosaic boxes were in print.

Maybe you weren't collecting then.

Yeah, most of the relevant sets would have been before my time. It's a bit depressing looking over the list of OOP mosaic sets and realizing what I've missed out on.

Yes, and many of those were either available as Conns (Cliff Craft, One Step Beyond, Byrd in Flight, The In Between) or Rare Grooves (Good Gracious), and I guess - though I'm too young to have them - most or all also were on "domestic" CDs in the late 80s. I'm happy owner of most of the respective Mosaics, luckily! But agreed, albums like those by Elvin Jones I've never seen in the last years... also the Mobley and the Larry Youngs I'd buy immediately! And any Duke Pearson, too!

Relax boys, it's almost over. Free downloads have seen to that. In the future look for "blogs" with copies of unissued stuff. They will show up. Then you can whine about the days when "real" stuff in updated mastering was available.

At that point all "fans" can bitch about the news of masters being destroyed/disposed of by the copyright holders, as a cost saving measure.

The Universal/MCA fire is nothing.

i like colorful original cover art, which the mosaics do not provide. and i like the original sessions in their original form along with this original cover art (bonus tracks are fine, but i do not like sessions slooshed across multiple discs).

Agreed. That is why I have nothing to do with Mosaic. I don't trust a jazz reissue label with no sense of style or aesthetics.

i like colorful original cover art, which the mosaics do not provide. and i like the original sessions in their original form along with this original cover art (bonus tracks are fine, but i do not like sessions slooshed across multiple discs).

Agreed. That is why I have nothing to do with Mosaic. I don't trust a jazz reissue label with no sense of style or aesthetics.

Whaaaaaa????

Re: Mosaic -

It's doctrinaire in the extreme to boycott Mosaic on the basis of the packaging , but that being said , I never have understood why "the Mosaic treatment" means ( at least with respect to the big box-sets ) being respectful to the original artists and music but not to the original cover art and the original liner notes . As mentioned , a lot of the covers are indeed available online , but the same can't be said of the liners which , although often far from illuminating , are sometimes very worthwhile .

Re: Mosaic -

It's doctrinaire in the extreme to boycott Mosaic on the basis of the packaging , but that being said , I never have understood why "the Mosaic treatment" means ( at least with respect to the big box-sets ) being respectful to the original artists and music but not to the original cover art and the original liner notes . As mentioned , a lot of the covers are indeed available online , but the same can't be said of the liners which , although often far from illuminating , are sometimes very worthwhile .

I think that Mosaic made the decision to commission new essays about the music in lieu of reprinting liner notes. So which is more important to you, the essay or the original liner notes? Or do you want both, something new and more in depth plus the original essay?

Personally I think its like going somewhere for Thanksgiving dinner only to complain about the scrumptious turkey because you always have delicious ham.

Seems to me that there's TONS of BN stuff that's not easy to get and which I would love to see re-issued domestically. Some more-or-less random examples:

Curtis Fuller: "Bone & Bari" and "Vol. 3"

Clifford Jordan: "Cliff Jordan" and "Cliff Craft"

Elvin Jones: all of his BN albums

Jackie Mclean: "One Step Beyond", "High Frequency" and "Hipnosis"

Donald Byrd: "Byrd in Flight", "I'm Tryin' to Get Home", "Chant" and "The Creeper"

Bobby Hutcherson: "Total Eclipse"

Duke Pearson: "Profile", "Tender Feelin's" and "Wahoo"

Lou Donaldson: "Good Gracious"

Blue Mitchell: "Step Lightly," "Bring it Home to Me" and "Heads Up"

Hank Mobley: "A Slice of the Top"

Larry Young: "Contrasts" and "Heaven on Earth"

Lee Morgan: "The Rajah"

Booker Ervin: "The In Between"

Wayne Shorter: "Odyssey of Iska"

I don't think BN is in any danger of running out of good music to re-issue any time soon.

....just in case MC or an associate sees this thread, I'll toss in:

CD_BH_LiveatMontreux.jpg

I understand the disappointment of some at the absence of original artwork in Mosaic reissues. However, when you consider the high quality of the remastering, the excellence of the large format booklet, the great photos and first class customer service ; the idea of a boycott is........wierd.

Lon's comment says it best: oy vey.

the idea of a boycott is........wierd.

Lon's comment says it best: oy vey.

It's hard for me to shell out significant money - for me - for something that doesn't have the original artwork.

Think of it as less competition for limited edition releases.

No offense, and I know this has been said before, but isn't it about the music? Last time I checked, you can't listen to artwork.

Up over and out.