Album of the week: Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing

AfricaBrass

And you're sure you've listened all you care to? This is one that took several listens to reveal itself to me. (But I agree about the Byrd albums, :unsure: ).

Are you a big free-jazz fan? I know you're way into "modern" jazz (hard bop, etc...) but I'm not sure if I recall you commenting much on 'outside' types of music...??

Edited by Parkertown

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say, add your reply.

I'm only trying to learn about this music anyway. The day that I get hurt about someone having a different opinion is the day I need to leave this place.

If you have a problem with an aspect of this cd, I'd love to hear it. I haven't always been a fan of it either. I tried to be fair in my review of the Donald Byrd. I found things I liked and things I didn't.

Sometimes, I feel like the comments about an album or so positive, it makes me wonder if the album has truly been listened to and digested.

That's one reason I wanted to bring back the album of the week thread. I really want to learn to listen critically, so I can really discern the great from the good.

:rsmile:

Scott,

Don't get me wrong, I love The All Seeing Eye; it's right up my alley, from A to Z. My question was a general one, just in case...

I'm interested in most jazz styles (though much swing-style jazz is "not really my cup of tea", it quickly bores me), but I'm a big fan of bop, hard bop, 1960s "advanced hard bop" and modal jazz. Haven't listened much to free jazz / avant garde since my initial interest in it fell into a deep sleep way back in the early 1970s, but I started listening to it again a couple of years ago and now I'm figuring out which albums to add to my humble free / avant garde collection.

Edited by J.A.W.

Question to all: what to do if you don't like or even hate "the album of the week",

1. keep one's mouth shut and refrain from posting; or

2. simply post "yuck"; or

3. politely but firmly say "this is not quite my cup of tea" (posh accent not required  ;) ).

...how about

4) I gave my copy to Big Al Rearick :D

:g

Question to all: what to do if you don't like or even hate "the album of the week",

1. keep one's mouth shut and refrain from posting; or

2. simply post "yuck"; or

3. politely but firmly say "this is not quite my cup of tea" (posh accent not required  ;) ).

...how about

4) I gave my copy to Big Al Rearick :D

TWICE!!!! :P:wacko::g

aL

Edited by Big Al

I dont know what it is about this tiltle , I love Wayne's acoustic music , some of the other musicians are among my favourites , i love this style of jazz - but this CD does absolutely nothing for me & I cant seem to put my finger on why .

i bought it about a year ago & have to make an effort to put it on - when i read last week it was to be CD of the week i have played it nearly everyday (& once this morning ) but no - still nothing .

Anyway c'mon what's next week ???

I may need to order it to take part.

J.A.W., as to your earlier question, I for one would enjoy hearing why a person didn't like a particular album, even more so if it was a favorite of mine. I mean, hell, we're jazz fans;we know everyone doesn't agree with our choices! :g

As for the album at hand (you guys were wondering if I was ever going to comment after picking the album, weren't you?), I can't say it's one of my "top ten faves" or anything, but I think it's interesting, and does contain one song that might make my "top forty" list anyway.

The one thing I love about Wayne Shorter's music is that, even with my untrained ear, he's probably the only artist other than Monk that I can spot. Even when someone else does one of his tunes, I can immediately say "Yeah, Wayne wrote that. I don't know what it is, but that's a Shorter composition". I'm just not that musically advanced to do that with a lot of artists, but Shorter and Monk have fingerprints that make it obvious, and yet their stuff doesn't all sound the same. (Well, it does at first, but only because it's so distinctive.)

The All-Seeing Eye reminds me in many ways of an album that is in my "top ten", Dolphy's Out to Lunch. There's something about both of these albums that makes them more than "just music". There's no way I can explain this properly, so bear with me. With both of these albums, I get the feeling that there is more than one sense in play. I'm not just listening to the music, it's coming in through another sense as well. What sense? Well, it's sort of halfway between sight and smell, but it's neither. (I told you this wouldn't make sense!) There's something speaking to my "soul", if you will, that most albums, even jazz albums that I love a lot, just aren't able to articulate. Anyway, enough of the mysticism...

Oh, the song that might make my "top forty"? Mephistopheles. Whenever I listen to this disc, I always have to replay this one. Absolutely amazing...

Edited by Jazzmoose

Possibly interesting anecdote about "The All Seeing Eye." Soon after the record came out, I was in Chicago's Jazz Record Mart (the old W. Grand Ave. location) while the title track was being played in the store. Standing at the counter listening was Roscoe Mitchell, and during Freddie Hubbard's trumpet solo on (as I recall) the title track, Roscoe made one of those sub-verbal sounds that indicate intense approval. A bit surprised because I assumed he wasn't a big Hubbard fan, I said something along the lines of "You like Freddie Hubbard?" Roscoe replied, "No, man -- the drummer" (i.e. Joe Chambers).