The flute thread

ASNL77

I really enjoy the very few flute sessions I own ( mainly Herbie Mann and Sam Rivers) but I have only got three or four CDs. Which Herbie Mann albums would you recommend and more generally what are the best flute albums in your collection? I have always been amazed at how underrepresented this instrument is in jazz music.

Edited by ASNL77

My favorite modern flute player is probably Gary Thomas icon12.gif (the tenor sax player, formerly M-BASE).

He only plays a few cuts per album on flute (if that), but I've almost always loved whatever I've heard from him on the instrument. He's the ONLY sax/flute doubler I've ever heard where (I think) I can hear some of his sax playing and "personality" in his or her flute playing.

His own "Pariah's Pariah" (Winter & Winter, 1999) is a pianoless quartet with Greg Osby, and there are at least two 'flute' cuts on there. He also plays flute on two or three cuts of Ingrid Jensen's "Higher Grounds" (Enja, 1998). (There are a couple others, but I'm not recalling them at the moment.)

Once backstage at a Herbie Hancock gig in Columbia MO a few years ago (4tet with Gary, Scott Colley and Terri Lynne Carrington), Gary told me that flute was actually his first instrument. :cool:

And of course Eric Dolphy, obviously -- who has/had the best pure flute technique of almost any jazz player I've ever heard.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If I recall correctly, there was a pretty lengthly flute thread a year or so ago. I remember it well because it afforded me the opportunity to express my deep dislike of that instrument in jazz. Something along the lines of the only good flute is a dead flute. The one exception being the seldom heard, nether worldly sound of the bass flute which I dearly love. To each his own.

Anyhow, I'm sure there was quite a bit of discussion of jazz flute recordings on this thread. A quick search using that function would probably uncover this.

Up over and out.

Anyhow, I'm sure there was quite a bit of discussion of jazz flute recordings on this thread. A quick search using that function would probably uncover this.

Yes , more recommendations here .

My Herbie Mann recommendation would be the one I most recently listened to , that being Latin Mann . This has Herbie fronting a big band with Oliver Nelson arranging and conducting tunes like Manteca , Señor Blues and Jive Samba .

Harder to find ( read : vinyl only ) but worthwhile are Paul Horn's Impressions Of Cleopatra and Lloyd McNeill's Asha and Washington Suite .

I totally agree with you, Lon, about "I Talk With The Spirits'. Very tasty Horace Parlan on that too.

Yusef is awesome on flute - as well as all the other instruments - in spite of all the islam garbage. "A Flat, G Flat and C" has some fantastic Japanese bamboo flute. What an outstanding player, and for so many years.

Jazz flute has never been rare since the 50s.

One of Hank Mancini's trademark sounds was with one or more flutes. The "Peter Gunn" albums have a good helping.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! I am just getting back to this site after several weeks of grading and I find a "jazz flute" thread that does not mention Frank Wess!! It is just my opinion, of course, but his classic album with Milt Jackson on Savoy, "Opus De Jazz" has to be the most swinging jazz flute found anywhere .... and also no mention of Jeremy Steig's seminal album (which he never really ever duplicated) "Flute Fever", with Denny Zeitlen. Both worth a listen to ...

Garth.