Blue Note Catalog deletions

mgraham333

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another :tup:tup for The 27th Man.

With regard to Like Someone In Love, Marc Myers from the JazzWax blog had an interesting piece on this last week. All the tunes from this and A Night In Tunisia we're cut at the same time. When Alfred Lion realized they had enough material for two full Messenger LP's, they were deliberately broken up into softer (LSIL) and harder (ANIT) releases. Marc has good things to say about both, but especially about Bobby Timmons. Interestingly enough, when he put these on his iPod, he created a playlist and randomly collated all the tunes. He said that made for a very interesting and satisfying audio experience. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

The only one on this list I'm tempted to get is the Leo Parker. I have Rollin' With Leo already, so it would make for a nice set of baritone bookends.

Up over and out.

just days after I lose my job, BN has to do this? the deletions of RVG's is sort of unnerving b/c like someone else said I thought they were permanently in print. Pulling "Our Thing" OOP (again) what the hell? Luckily I have it. Same for the two Blakey's on the list. "The Sounds of Jimmy Smith" I have considered b/c right now the Mosaic is still packed away somewhere, hopefully its not missing. The Hank and Lee sets are packed in the same box.

Hm, several on this list that I'll need to get before they're gone for good:

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Sarah Vaughan/Lester Young - Town Hall 1947

maybe also:

Cannonball Adderley - Domination

Bobby Hutcherson - Now!

also possibly some more Kenton (Balboa, Tropicana, Viva Kenton are the ones)

what's the word on these "maybe" ones? and the three Kentons?

Just in case, here are the other deletions (other than Conns and RVGs):

Big Band

Cannonball Adderley - Domination (with Oliver Nelson)

Count Basie - Breakfast Dance And Barbecue

Count Basie - Basie Meets Bond

Count Basie - The Count Basie Story (2 CDs)

Don Ellis - Live At Monterey

Don Ellis - Jazz In 3 & 2/3 /4 Time

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra - Consummation

Stan Kenton - At The Las Vegas Tropicana

Stan Kenton - Back To Balboa

Stan Kenton - City Of Glass

Stan Kenton - Kenton Showcase

Stan Kenton - Standards In Silhouette

Stan Kenton - Viva Kenton!

Buddy Rich - Buddy And Soul

Vocal

Mose Allison - Jazz Profile

Dr. John - Sippiana Hericane

Billie Holiday - Billie's Blues

Sheila Jordan - Portrait Of Sheila

Peggy Lee - Basin Street East Presents

Julie London - About The Blues

The Best Of Nellie Lutcher

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions

Dakota Staton & George Shearing - In The Night

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Sings Soulfully

Sarah Vaughan & Lester Young - Town Hall Concert 1947

Joe Williams - A Swinging Night At Birdland

Joe Williams And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra

The Best Of Joe Williams

Afro Cuban

Laurindo Almeida & Bud Shank - Brazilliance-Volume 2

Art Blakey - African Beat

Los Van Van - Dancing Wet

Sabu - Palo Congo

DVDs

The Manhattan Project (Wayne Shorter, Michel Petrucciani, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White)

Michel Petrucciani - Power Of Three (with Wayne Shorter & Jim Hall)

I guess even those not into Kenton should give City of Glass a chance... also Showcase is nice.

And then, the Basie Bond album is a very good one! Some great Lockjaw solos there!

The Don Ellis may not be to everyone's taste, but from the albums I've heard, I still consider the Monterey one the best!

And finally, Sheila Jordan's Blue Note album is one of the most special (and dearest in this household) ever committed to disc

I like the Rouse. If I didn't have it, I'd get it simply because I'd kick myself if it went OOP before I grabbed it.

Plus, it's worth the price of admission for the extra track at the end, a quintet track from an aborted session with Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, and Billy Higgins.

It does seem kinda strange that they're deleting some of these titles; doesn't it seem like a bunch of these have been out less than five years?

Plus, [the Rouse title] is worth the price of admission for the extra track at the end, a quintet track from an aborted session with Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, and Billy Higgins.

My sentiment exactly. That's one of the best bonus tracks I've ever heard on a CD. That, and "The Collector" on Wayne Shorter's Adam's Apple.

Plus, [the Rouse title] is worth the price of admission for the extra track at the end, a quintet track from an aborted session with Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, and Billy Higgins.

My sentiment exactly. That's one of the best bonus tracks I've ever heard on a CD.

Agree on the bonus track-worth the price just for the that track alone.

Mothership is da bomb, totally!! Some of the most amazing and eye-opening Lee Morgan ever. Must have, must own, must hear material -- if ever there was.

Thanks for the info. This kind of enthusiast report makes me buy a record !! I don't know this one. Just ordered it @mazon.fr

Sure thing! And let us know what you think of it too.