mgraham333

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is essential:

Stan Kenton - City Of Glass

Yes, definitely.

Also on Cannonball's "Domination" - not my fave Cannonball, but for someone who is inherently (perhaps unfairly) wary of Oliver Nelson arrangements from the mid 60s, I was very pleasantly surprised. Also, "Experience in E" is definitely worth hearing for those fond of early jazz rock. Not entirely successful but a fun listen.

Guy

oh, and "Capuchin Swing" is a fine album but it sounds horrible - it's one of those RVGs I rarely ever play because of that... couldn't tell what exactly is the problem... but I wonder: does anyone here have a similar reaction to it?

My recollection of CS, which I haven't listened to in a while, was that the first tune was awesome and the rest was somewhat unremarkable relative to benchmark JM recordings.

Guy

Jackie McLean - Right Now!

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Neither of these have made my collection yet so now is probably the time if at all. I'm a Jackie fan, should I be without either of these?

You want both. Right Now is essential, among the best Jackie I've heard. I would put Jacknife in the second tier of JM recordings, but it's still very good.

Guy

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the Jackie McLean titles. How could I resist so many people encouraging me to buy more jazz CDs? ^_^ I ordered "Jacknife", "Right Now!" and threw in "It's Time!" for good measure. (and to get the free shipping) Amazon added an additional promotional discount so the discs ran $7.99 each delivered. Not too bad!

Edited by mikelz777

Sad to see these going OOP. I guess it's part of the move from physical CDs to mp3 files on the pc. But I like to have the artwork and liner notes and I will never buy just a file.

I have everything I want from their hit list. There's a lot of fantastic stuff there, e.g. those McLeans.

I got "Domination", by Cannonball, when the LP came out. I love that session. There's some great blowing, and Oliver's arrangements are gorgeous, especially the clarinet choir on the slow number. The sound on the vinyl is stunning stereo. I have not heard the CD, so I don't know how well it emerged from the McMaster wringer.

After all these years of BN CD reissues, I find it hard to work up a lot of interest in it really. It's so mid 90s.

Thanks for posting that list, I just ordered the Mobley...been meaning to get it for awhile. I don't have the Brooks CDs, probably need to attend to that also.

I don't take much comfort in knowing these will be available in digital format sometime down the road, I guess I'm a Luddite.

I like (In Pursuit of the 27th Man). Very much "of its time" w/the presence of the Brecker Brothers, electric bass, vibes, all that but I was there at the time & remember the excitement the whole album caused. Good tunes, all the principals at their best (the self-parody that Michael Brecker became later in the 70s - and then broke away from - was not yet in evidence), and the tunes were all fresh, yet still "Silver-y". There's a cover of Weldon Irvine's "Liberated Brother" that is pretty much a stone classic imo.

For me, THE killer track on 27th Man is the title track (all nearly 10 minutes of it). Reminds me of Stanley Cowell more than just a bit.

Deletions in the US doesn't mean automatically they are deleted in Europe too. Europe has it's own pressings and stock so they might be around much longer over here (or shorter, no not Wayne, depending on stock). Repressing in the EU has been made even more difficult since the EMI pressing plant in Uden (NL) is going to close down soon.

Edited by Bluerein

I have the Brooks Mosaic... but that CD is already on its way to me, too!

good that you mention it... i must have lost your copy somewhere in the appartment and knowing the chaos here just ordered a second one... wanted to have it anyway :)

ooops - but then that first copy arrived pretty fast! looking forward to hearing this one again (I hardly play vinyl these days).

Jackie McLean - Right Now!

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Neither of these have made my collection yet so now is probably the time if at all. I'm a Jackie fan, should I be without either of these?

You want both. Right Now is essential, among the best Jackie I've heard. I would put Jacknife in the second tier of JM recordings, but it's still very good.

Guy

Buy right now right now, period. That is something you'll never forget.

If you have even the slightest interest in Don Ellis, then Live in Monterey is essential. Great solos and a lot of excitement. The other live one is so-so.

Jacknife has some nice playing, but a couple of the compositions are weak. Buy it if you are a Tolliver fan or a McLean completist.

Stan Kenton’s City of Glass is overstuffed in parts, but the arrangements are brilliant. It’s something you’d really want if it was out-of-print.

Larry Young’s Mother Ship is disappointing compared to Unity but it has a kind of out there appeal.

Sam Rivers’ Fuchsia Swing Song is a must have! Also have a fondness for Hutcherson’s Now!

I put all the Brooks on my X-mas list. Here's hoping. I put Jacknife on there too for early Jack DeJohnette.

I like Jacknife a lot, the opener is a classic to me--the CD has more going for it than early DeJohnette! You may be in for a pleasant surprise :D

That's right. Tolliver and Morgan share the front line together on at least one track. Again, that first track is killer-worth it just for that track alone.