Blue Note Catalog deletions

mgraham333

It does seem kinda strange that they're deleting some of these titles; doesn't it seem like a bunch of these have been out less than five years?

Less than five years? Several of these were released last year!!

The following were released in 2007 and are deleted now in 2008!!

Horace Silver - You Gotta Take A Little Love

Introducing Kenny Cox

Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever

Stan Kenton - The Compositions Of Dee Barton

If that is the case, then I suspect that the 500 minimum sold quota still holds (maybe Kevin or someone on the inside can verify). But needless to say, the Foster and the Cox are extremely worthy sessions, and if you don't have them, consider picking them up. I can't comment on the rest.

If price is anything to go by, I bet they're not selling to any great degree. The RVGs are already pretty cheap CDs but I picked up the Silver (and a couple of older ones) from an Amazon UK seller yesterdy at 60% of the normal price. If firms are having to reduce prices to that extent in order to move product, then not too many people want it.

:) Back to the good old days of getting many of my Soul Jazz albums at reasonable prices, I hope.

MG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I used this as an excuse to stock up on various titles:

From J&R:

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love, The Freedom Rider

Jackie McLean - Right Now

Lee Morgan - Caramba

Groove Holmes - Groovin' With Jug

J.R. Monterose

From Tower:

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing, Jacknife

Scolohofo - Oh!

Pat Martino - Live At Yoshi's

Art Blakey - Meet You At The Jazz Corner, The Witch Doctor, At The Jazz Corner

Jimmy Smith - Groovin' At Smalls Paradise

From Import CDs:

Lee Morgan - Standards

I also ordered Jackie McLean - New Soil from Newbury Comics, but they're out of it.

It does seem kinda strange that they're deleting some of these titles; doesn't it seem like a bunch of these have been out less than five years?

Less than five years? Several of these were released last year!!

The following were released in 2007 and are deleted now in 2008!!

Horace Silver - You Gotta Take A Little Love

Introducing Kenny Cox

Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever

Stan Kenton - The Compositions Of Dee Barton

If that is the case, then I suspect that the 500 minimum sold quota still holds (maybe Kevin or someone on the inside can verify). But needless to say, the Foster and the Cox are extremely worthy sessions, and if you don't have them, consider picking them up. I can't comment on the rest.

Well, I did my part. I picked up three of them (except for the Kenton). I wasn't entirely sure about the Foster, so I checked and there it was. Not really a comment on how memorable the session is, just the fact that I have a bit too much new music to fully process it. (Maybe one of the benefits of a slowdown is that I will savor each CD a bit more.)

I suggest a year from now Blue Note and related labels will be gone. Pay attention to ALL titles, not just the deletions.

I went hunting thinking I'd namely stick to those going OOP now, specifically the McLeans I don't have and the Morgan and Green "Standards" titles, maybe Blakey "Jazz At The Corner Of The World" and a couple of others. Then I noticed how much I've been enjoying Grant Green of late and how few titles of his I have relatively speaking, and added several. Also some titles on other labels. The majority have no current going out of print warnings, but I "trust in Chuck." :)

At Tower you can search by label then sort by price, which is very handy. Thanks mjzee for mentioning J&R - I had forgotten about that place.

I had taken something of a Blue Note sabbatical for the past year or so. Playing Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes brought me back. Thanks Mr. Hubbard.

Edited by Quincy

Got a question about this on the Night Lights site--how many, if any, of these titles are available as legal/purchasable downloads (and will they remain available after the CDs are gone)? And any word from BN about digitalization of the catalog going forward? I'm going to e-mail BN but wondered if anybody here had heard anything.

Edited by ghost of miles

Celebrated an Eagles win by ordering the following from Amazon:

Horace Silver - Stylings of Silver

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It

Donald Byrd/Doug Watkins - The Transition Sessions

So, how did you celebrate yesterday's win? :)

(BTW, this Cowboys fan is loving this! Normally I hate the Eagles, but as long as T.O. is on the Cowboys, I want the Eagles to go all the way!)

Good choices!

If you've never heard it before you may be surprised by how special the Byrd/Watkins is. And "Stylings" is one of my 3 or 4 favorite Silvers. :tup

Good choices!

If you've never heard it before you may be surprised by how special the Byrd/Watkins is. And "Stylings" is one of my 3 or 4 favorite Silvers. :tup

The Byrd Transistion dates are solid, although I wouldn't say essential. I have the JRVG's and sound is excellent. Never heard the Watkins.

don't miss caramba!

it's one of the best lee morgan albums from the 1960s!

Definitely !

I would rate that one and 'Sixth Sense' pretty high.

They don't get much in the way of critical plaudits (and lots of Morgan fans don't much like them) but these two are definitely two of my favourite latter Morgan Blue Notes.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

The one Blue Note to-be-delected I'm REALLY glad I nailed at $11.99 before it vanished is:

Kenny Cox and the Contemporary Jazz Quintet: 'Introducing' ('68) and 'Multidirection' ('69).

This BN Conn is getting the axe, barely a year-and-a-half after release by EMI on CD.

For anyone with an indelible imprint of Miles' 1965-68 Quintet on their little grey brain cells -- Kenny Cox & the CJQ is a logical extension -- with the exact same instrumentation.

Oddly for Blue Note, both albums were recorded in Detroit and originally produced by Francis Wolff. The CD is mastered in 24-bit entirely by Ron McMaster with NO RVG futzing.

As long as listeners can cool-out their expectations of hearing the 'sound' of Wayne, Ron, Herbie, and Tony -- this jewel should provide lots of pleasure.

btw this "gostoso" track on PJ-64 "brasamba!" bud shank/clare fisher// last trk side A on the reissue (i think the orig. order differed)-----

thsese PJ-liberty era reissues c. 1980 (with the white cover), from waht i know about liberty im suprised these reissues even existed, or had the opportunity to exist--- actually sounds like a decent mastering...but how? you mean this tape wasn't thrown out in the trash beause it didnt have reverb?

The one Blue Note to-be-delected I'm REALLY glad I nailed at $11.99 before it vanished is:

Kenny Cox and the Contemporary Jazz Quintet: 'Introducing' ('68) and 'Multidirection' ('69).

This BN Conn is getting the axe, barely a year-and-a-half after release by EMI on CD.

For anyone with an indelible imprint of Miles' 1965-68 Quintet on their little grey brain cells -- Kenny Cox & the CJQ is a logical extension -- with the exact same instrumentation.

Oddly for Blue Note, both albums were recorded in Detroit and originally produced by Francis Wolff. The CD is mastered in 24-bit entirely by Ron McMaster with NO RVG futzing.

As long as listeners can cool-out their expectations of hearing the 'sound' of Wayne, Ron, Herbie, and Tony -- this jewel should provide lots of pleasure.

Ah, that explains why I got rid of it quiclky in 1970!

:D

MG

from today's Jazz In Print topic thread 'At 70, A Legendary Label Asks, 'Now What?' there's a link to a 2/6/09 same-titled NY Times story with the quote:

"Late last year (2008) the label made a round of catalog deletions; any title that sold fewer than 350 copies over a 12-month period was vulnerable." The paragraph implied a battle between those sharp-penciled EMI accountants versus Bruce Lundvall, who could intervene and spare a title or two from expulsion.

from today's Jazz In Print topic thread 'At 70, A Legendary Label Asks, 'Now What?' there's a link to a 2/6/09 same-titled NY Times story with the quote:

"Late last year (2008) the label made a round of catalog deletions; any title that sold fewer than 350 copies over a 12-month period was vulnerable." The paragraph implied a battle between those sharp-penciled EMI accountants versus Bruce Lundvall, who could intervene and spare a title or two from expulsion.

Fewer than 350 copies in 12 months? Worldwide, or just the US? (not read the article yet) Either way, who'd sell jazz CDs for a living?

• 5 months later...