Blue Note Catalog deletions

mgraham333

Got an email from True Blue today-

A large number of superb titles from the Blue Note labels will go out of print by the end of this year, including a number of CDs from the RVG and Connoisseur Series. So you don't miss out on albums that you have been intending to purchase, here is a list of the casualties of 2008. We don't know the exact quantities left on these items, so it's best to order sooner rather than later. To ease the squeeze, we have put a number of these titles on sale.

RVGs

====

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love

Sonny Clark- Dial S For Sonny

Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore -Blowing In From Chicago

Jackie McLean - Capuchan Swing

Jackie McLean - Right Now!

Blue Mitchell - Boss Horn

Blue Mitchell - Down With It

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It

Bud Powell - Bud! The Amazing Bud Powell-Volume 3

Ike Quebec -Heavy Soul

Horace Silver - In Pursuit Of The 27th Man

Horace Silver - The Stylings Of Silver

Jimmy Smith - The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

CONNOISSEURs

===========

Tina Brooks - Minor Move

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Donald Byrd - The Transition Sessions (w/Doug Watkins) (2 CDs)

Bobby Hutcherson - Now!

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Larry Young - Mother Ship

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. Very much "of its time" w/the presence of the Brecker Brothers, electric bass, vibes, all that but I was there at the time & remember the excitement the whole album caused. Good tunes, all the principals at their best (the self-parody that Michael Brecker became later in the 70s - and then broke away from - was not yet in evidence), and the tunes were all fresh, yet still "Silver-y". There's a cover of Weldon Irvine's "Liberated Brother" that is pretty much a stone classic imo.

Having said all that, though, I can see where many will not like it, either because it's not "classic" Silver, or because it's of a time/place to which they do not feel any particular connection. So proceed accordingly, that's all I can say.

I second Jim's opinion--ironically enough, I was just listening to this CD a couple of weeks ago. Everything JSngry says is right on; I'd add only that it's not as radically removed from Horace's 60s work as you might be inclined to think.

Indeed, and the 'funky' sound should delight MG, IMO.

Just keep in mind that it's a different kind of "funk" here - mostly young, white, and already getting hunkered down into the studio scene - than what we heard from Horace before (or after).

But that shit was just different, not in any way unreal (at least not at this point in the game). It's very real, I think, and like I said, I dig it.

Mothership is da bomb, totally!! Some of the most amazing and eye-opening Lee Morgan ever. Must have, must own, must hear material -- if ever there was.

And the 27th Man is pretty darn good too. Just gave it a spin a few weeks ago myself, and found myself liking it a LOT more than I had remembered. A couple of the cuts with vibes (sans horns) were really quite progressive -- a lot more so than I've ever typically heard from Horace. Made me wish there was a whole album of that 'vibes' group all by itself -- though the cuts with horns were good too.

More generally, is this the first time that they've deleted RVGs?

I would take this as a good sign that there will be fewer and fewer physical reissues (at least on CD). But one would think that they will make more and more available on itunes, emusic, or other sources.

I might be over-inferring though.

Mothership is da bomb, totally!! Some of the most amazing and eye-opening Lee Morgan ever. Must have, must own, must hear material -- if ever there was.

And the 27th Man is pretty darn good too. Just gave it a spin a few weeks ago myself, and found myself liking it a LOT more than I had remembered. A couple of the cuts with vibes (sans horns) were really quite progressive -- a lot more so than I've ever typically heard from Horace. Made me wish there was a whole album of that 'vibes' group all by itself -- though the cuts with horns were good too.

YEAH it is! Lee and Larry go pretty far out and even Herbert Morgan gets pretty far out too. Agree with Sangrey too about Eddie Gladden who pushes the music forward quite convincingly!

More generally, is this the first time that they've deleted RVGs?

I believe so. For some reason, I was under the impression that they were going to keep the RVGs perpetually in print (I know that would be completely at odds with standard industry practice, but I thought I'd read/heard something to that effect not long after the series was launched).