Blue Note Catalog deletions

mgraham333

Cannonball Adderley - Domination

Bobby Hutcherson - Now!

also possibly some more Kenton (Balboa, Tropicana, Viva Kenton are the ones)

what's the word on these "maybe" ones? and the three Kentons?

anyone?

I guess I'll get the Adderley anyway, so what about the Hutcherson and those three Kentons?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's quite a bit of comment about the Hutcherson on the site. I really like it, it adds an extra, unreleased session that is as good as the released, and I like the writing and the voices.

The Kentons. . . well they're what you would expect them to be knowing a bit of Kenton.

Jackie McLean - Right Now!

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Neither of these have made my collection yet so now is probably the time if at all. I'm a Jackie fan, should I be without either of these?

Both are very, very good. The first track on Jacknife is worth the price of admission as well as the final track on Right Now!

Sad to see these go OOP (Right Now! again). For some time a good deal of McLean's BN output, sans 'Bout Soul, Tippin' the Scales, SSS and OSB, were readily available.

If you are really a fan, why such a silly question? Wanna wait a few years for a "Spanish/Andorran" reissue?

Because I already have 14 Jackie McLean CDs and wanted to solicit opinions on whether these two were compelling enough to make it 16.

I'm an unapologetic fan of the "Spanish/Andorran" reissues but who can predict what they are going to reissue? They represent some truly fantastic music in my collection, most of which, is not available elsewhere.

Edited by mikelz777

If you are really a fan, why such a silly question? Wanna wait a few years for a "Spanish/Andorran" reissue?

Because I already have 14 Jackie McLean CDs and wanted to solicit opinions on whether these two were compelling enough to make it 16.

I happen to have both amongst my 16 McLean discs. :) Right Now! is one that sometimes is my favorite McLean and it really blew my socks off the first time I heard it. It was tough to get it out of the player from what I remember. Jacknife is one you want as well.

This warning notice is a good wake up call to not take these releases for granted.

Edited by Quincy

Thanks for the friendly feedback. It's nice for helping weigh out whether I should spend limited jazz funds on 2-3 more Jackie Macs or whether the same money should be spent on something else. Like you said, the warning is a good wake up notice. I'd probably regret passing them up only to have them go out of print and become unavailable or only available at a severely inflated price. I'm really intrigued by the sample I heard of "Poor Eric" on "Right Now". I know it was written for Eric Dolphy's untimely death. The sound is so sad and mournful that it appears to be a very heartfelt performance.

Edited by mikelz777

I'd prefer Dolly had a shot at some royalties from her husband's work.

Prefer all you want , but unless you're prepared to argue for the assumptions underlying that preference , don't think for a second that such a preference is morally privileged simply in virtue of whatever emotional appeal it may have .

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Neither of these have made my collection yet so now is probably the time if at all. I'm a Jackie fan, should I be without either of these?

Both are very, very good. The first track on Jacknife is worth the price of admission as well as the final track on Right Now!

Sad to see these go OOP (Right Now! again). For some time a good deal of McLean's BN output, sans 'Bout Soul, Tippin' the Scales, SSS and OSB, were readily available.

Agreed on Jacknife and Right Now!

As for the others you mention, it seems 'Bout Soul is one of those Conns that will never vanish... Hutcherson's Components is a similar case (though in the current EMI sales here it doesn't turn up). Those may be OOP but there seems to be plenty of stock around. Bad sellers, I guess... (and for some good reasons in the case of 'Bout Soul!)

I'm a huge fan of Jackie Mclean and own both releases. It wasn't till recently I picked up "Jacknife" and I already owned at least a dozen or more recordings by him. I should have bought this one years ago. Gosh, you get Lee Morgan and Charles Tolliver on this date and one track "Soft Blue" you get both. Don't pass on either of these recordings up or you'll end up kicking yourself.

Edited by Tom 1960

Prefer all you want , but unless you're prepared to argue for the assumptions underlying that preference , don't think for a second that such a preference is morally privileged simply in virtue of whatever emotional appeal it may have .

The umbrage you ostensibly take with this constituent’s disputation is eclipsed by the excessively complex nature of your composed rejoinder.

The umbrage you ostensibly take with this constituent’s disputation is eclipsed by the excessively complex nature of your composed rejoinder.

I think it's fitting that Chas lives in Interzone, which is a suburb of Andorra.

I'll vouch for that KENTON SHOWCASE--it's all Russo and Holman arrangements, and you get some nice Lee Konitz on the last several tracks as well. (I'm guessing these sides were part of the Mosaic, which I never picked up.)

I'm on the fence about RIGHT NOW, because I already have it as part of the McLean Mosaic--but it's a real favorite of mine, and I'm sure the sound is improved over the 1993 box.

I'll vouch for that KENTON SHOWCASE--it's all Russo and Holman arrangements, and you get some nice Lee Konitz on the last several tracks as well. (I'm guessing these sides were part of the Mosaic, which I never picked up.)

I'm on the fence about RIGHT NOW, because I already have it as part of the McLean Mosaic--but it's a real favorite of mine, and I'm sure the sound is improved over the 1993 box.

I'll back you on the Kenton Showcase, David. The 12 Holman tracks are great favorites, the 8 Russos less so.

I nominate this as THE post of the year.

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Sad to see these go OOP (Right Now! again).

Word-for-word what the Holy one sez. I would also add that "Poor Eric" is mesmerizing like few pieces of music are; the way the bass and the alto play the melody line is heart-breaking.

Besides, if you ever need a reason to justify a purchase, always remember that one can never have too much McLean. (Well, except for 'BOUT SOUL. I'm in agreement with Ubu on this one!)

Those may be OOP but there seems to be plenty of stock around. Bad sellers, I guess... (and for some good reasons in the case of 'Bout Soul!)

Maybe its just me but I absolutely love 'Bout Soul-some of the most out-leaning McLean that I know of!

I won't necessarily disagree - let's just call it "uneven", ok? I mean I don't need to re-listen to that lady's overacted poem recitation another time in the coming five years or so (and I guess it's been five years since I last heard it). Anyway, I'm a fan of McLean's early years, having most that's been out in recent years... but for those who have doubts about what McLean to buy, this is one I'd rather recommend to skip, still.