Strata East

Noj

• 1 month later...

Charles Rouse "Two is One" — essential!

Just got this one relatively recently (for the very first time), and I'm lovin' it. Great date.

Seems a touch "harmalodic" to my ears (just a tiny bit).

Also has some pre-"M-BASE" things goin' on here and there too (at least on the title track).

Very cool date!!! B)

Guest akanalog

i do not recommend the larry ridley strata east album "sum of the parts". though it has an awesome version of "well you needn't" with some serious clavinet action, there is too much cheese on it. it also features cornell dupree, grady tate, sonny fortune and onjae gumbs. not too hot overall. a little too much string synth work. well i guess if you like some smoothness, it is an ok album. "glass bead games" is great, as people have said. i have the rouse but am not sure how much i like it yet-it has all the ingredients but i think it is missing something. who is that playing drums on the second song-david lee or joe chambers? that's a nice beat.

Just playing "Such Great Friends" by Stanley Cowell, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman and Billy Hart. It's one that I've overlooked and it's been languishing on my shelves for ages without a play. Much better than I remembered form my initial playings.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bring this topic back up because I was going to put on "Handscapes" by the Piano Choir. Did a search on "Strata East" and found this thread.

Chuck, thanks for your post, and it would be yet another thing I could add to the "What have you learned" thread. Most of what I have heard about the label would fall into the "indy label romanticizing" category, so having a fuller picture is appreciated.

I don't think I've heard enough of their releases (they aren't all that easy to find) to have formed a full opinion of the entire label, but I like much of what I have heard. "Handscapes" is one of the ones I really like. It is poorly recorded but the music has an intensity. The Stanley Cowell above is awesome.

It is.  Never heard it, but I've always been curious about that one.  It goes for pretty good prices on E-Bay.  Don't know if it is available on CD anywhere or not.

I have that. I don't think it has ever been reissued on CD (which, in any case, should be a double album: it's 85+ minutes). In a sense, it's a period piece, very Sandersian (Pharoah, that is), recorded live at the East in 1971, with some strong compositions ("Saud", in particular, is very well done, with an excellent Stanley Cowell solo).

Musicians are Leroy Jenkins, Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Cowell, Buster Williams, Billy Hart, Ndugu Chancler, Mtume, Andy Bey, Joe Lee Wilson, Eddie Micheaux on vocals and two poets. Date is AUgust 29, 1971.

I found it ten years ago, still sealed, in a small record shop that had another dozen of strange (still sealed, too) Strata-East LPs by mostly unknown guys, at a very low price. I took them all, and the guy at the shop was so happy to see them go, that he kept saying "Please, come back soon"! (He had quite a handful of old MPS, too, so I came back VERY soon...).

Luca

• 1 year later...

Anyone have/heard Cecil McBee's entry (I think there's only one)? I've been intrigued, but not enough to take the plunge yet.

Cecil McBee's "Mutima" lp is something of a mixed bag. A long arco bass duet with McBee overdubbing, a sprited freeish piece, a Pharoah Sanders like number with tinkling percussion, a groovier cut with McBee Jnr on electric bass and two short pieces, presumably the openings to longer works.

I just picked up Mutima, and I have to say the glass is definitely half full (or more). Yeah, the 11-minute arco bass duet for one is a bit much, but everything else is top-drawer Strata East material in my book. George Adams is everything you'd expect ( :tup ), and the obscure trumpeter (Tex Allen) is a REALLY fine inside/outside kind of player, with some serious chops (at least back then).

Maybe not THE best Strata East date ever, but for those that like Strata East -- I'd say it's among the best, or very much in the same ballpark.

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties