Gil Melle - Complete Blue Note 50's Sessions

It looks like my original copy. It's possible that Blue Note had extra packaging (booklet, tray cards), and that's why they chose this title to issue.

I found it significant that Amazon listed the label as Blue Note. That says to me that they're standing behind the quality of the product.

Definitely not original packaging. It was made on demand along with the discs but as you can see, very well done. As far as Amazon backing the product - where the product description discloses the CD-R it also reads "Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply. "

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, how can you tell that the packaging is not from an offset press?

I'm curious about this process. The company must have at least on digital press and capacity to trim/fold/saddle stitch the booklets efficiently.

I hate to call them inkjet streaks because that would be overstating it. But when viewed at an angle you can see lines from top to botton on the cover pages and pages with photos. Again, these aren't as bad as your entry-level consumer inkjets where there can be small but visible gaps in the image. What's funny is that when I tried to scan it to show what I am talking about they didn't show up. The lines are really only visible from an angle. Bottom line (no pun intended) seems much more like a pro-sumer print job than full-blown offset press.

One final note - could someone with an original copy check the liner notes to see if Michael Cuscuna is listed as Coscuna in the opening sentence. It appears as Coscuna in my version.

I am having a heartbeat looking at that also, but I am wondering how many CD's I have in my collection that in fact are CD-R's. I find the packaging very distressing in that it very much resembles, via the scan (and thank you again for posting it) my actual copy of the CD (from memory--I can't locate my copy).

However, at least for this CD, it displays a bar code on the disc. I don't recall ever seeing that on any original Blue Notes or any others.

I have wondered also, about the prevalence of counterfeit mini-lp CD's. Sure, some of these mini-lp's can fetch big prices on e-bay, but the market itself for jazz is so limited, I would think that people would not bother to counterfeit jazz CD's. I hope I am wrong and welcome input.

In summary, from reading the previous posts, you really can't distinguish by looking, at least casually? You needed to inspect the booklet at an angle. I recall reading on a previous post (on counterfeits, I believe) that someone mentioned that with counterfeits, you will not see the manufacturers serial number imprinted on the non-playing part of the CD. With regard to this legitimate CD-r, does it also have markings imprinted onto the CD and the inner clear part of the plastic?

Thanks,

Baker

I am having a heartbeat looking at that also, but I am wondering how many CD's I have in my collection that in fact are CD-R's. I find the packaging very distressing in that it very much resembles, via the scan (and thank you again for posting it) my actual copy of the CD (from memory--I can't locate my copy).

However, at least for this CD, it displays a bar code on the disc. I don't recall ever seeing that on any original Blue Notes or any others.

I have wondered also, about the prevalence of counterfeit mini-lp CD's. Sure, some of these mini-lp's can fetch big prices on e-bay, but the market itself for jazz is so limited, I would think that people would not bother to counterfeit jazz CD's. I hope I am wrong and welcome input.

In summary, from reading the previous posts, you really can't distinguish by looking, at least casually? You needed to inspect the booklet at an angle. I recall reading on a previous post (on counterfeits, I believe) that someone mentioned that with counterfeits, you will not see the manufacturers serial number imprinted on the non-playing part of the CD. With regard to this legitimate CD-r, does it also have markings imprinted onto the CD and the inner clear part of the plastic?

Thanks,

Baker

CDRs are easily distinguishable from regular CDs because the back of the CDR has a bluish tint.

I have some "interesting origin" ECM mini-lp's (Jarrett, several Garbarek's) and some other jazz mini-lp's (Cohn-Sims, Corea Tones for Joan's Bones) that I got in trade from a guy in Russia.

I have some "interesting origin" ECM mini-lp's (Jarrett, several Garbarek's) and some other jazz mini-lp's (Cohn-Sims, Corea Tones for Joan's Bones) that I got in trade from a guy in Russia.

Well, that's interesting. I wonder if they pirate them primarily for the Japanese market, and then a few end up here.

Well, that's interesting. I wonder if they pirate them primarily for the Japanese market, and then a few end up here.

I don't think so - these have clearly Russian markings on them for some of the company credits, etc. Not nearly pure enough in appearance for the Japanese market.

And just because it's a Japanese mini-LP doesn't mean it's legit.

I agree regarding the possibility Japanese mini-lp not being legitimate; but how would you know?

I remember going to Rhino Records once and finding several Japanese issued Horace Parlan CD's, which I yanked out of the used bin. Then I looked at them closely and it appeared that the inlay cards were color photocopies. Obviously done well enough to attract my attention while flipping through stacks of CD's, but also so obvious as not to pass a careful inspection (note, when I was back next week, the Parlans had been sold). This Melle set, on the other hand, looks extremely well done.

Again, I appreciate the input.

And to John Felser, whom I remember from the old Jazz Trading Post, do the Russian CD's have the imprints on the "dead areas"?

Regards and thanks,

Baker

Speaking of CD-r's, I've always noticed Downtown Music Gallery's catalog includes a few CD-r copies of OOP LPs that have never made it to CD (search for Noah Howard or Archie Shepp if you like). Am I being naive in thinking that they are approved by the artists/sending them a chunk of the money?

I probably am, aren't I?

Which reminds me - why hasn't the Noah Howard Judson Hall album ever made any of the ESP-Disk reissue programs? That's a great album, as good as anything ever done on that label. Also, the Archie Shepp-Philly Joe Jones album would be nice to see on CD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...