Music Stores You Like to Go To

Hot Ptah

I don't go as often as I'd like but last Saturday I spent a couple hours at Mystery Train up on Cape Ann ... Moved all the stores from Boston & Cambridge up here and recently went to just one floor with the store. Seems like they have tens of thousands of records in the space reserved for maybe half. The days of finding a gem are gone tho.

Next time I will make sure I don't eat and do some yoga before going in so I can slink behind the massive racks and get comfy in a foot wide floor section to look thru a cord of soundtracks. It's kind of like crate digging and changing your oil at the same time.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my great good fortune to be able to wander in to a new record store nearly every day. (Yes, even in Uganda.) So I feel like I've been to about 85% of those mentioned above. (I particularly remember Digelius in Helsinki; ten years ago I wandered in and found several Mosaic boxes, and even picked up a couple of LPs, including a J.R. Monterose). But, since I travel all the time, I can't buy any more. I'd rather just fine a place with cool, knowledgeable people who love music and sometimes even have the time for a chat and listening session.

Of course if commerce is that 'slack' they usualy aren't around long.

Amoeba and its ilk are great for people who want to buy. But I'll be in the combination bookstore/record shop off the alley.

I've only been going to JRM for a few years now (3), but I've always had great experiences there. I'm still very much a neophyte collector (not a collector, really -- just that when you get into improvised music there's always something new). JRM doesn't have the greatest turnover, but if I stop in every couple of months or so they're almost sure to have something I haven't seen before. They seem to have good relationships with certain labels (Emanem in particular).

Dusty Groove is really clean. Love them but resent them for not allowing me to take my Yorkshire Terrier in there (even if I held him!).

And oh, Reckless, my old stand-by. I live in the south loop so I hit that location up at least once a week I think. I'll also often use their online database to troll for stuff I want, & if they have it in stock I call the store (they indicate which store has the item now) & have them put it on hold, which they are happy to do for a week. I'm afraid I might be abusing this system a bit but the amount of money I drop there must justify my behavior.

Please do visit Permanent Records if you're out in Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village. It's run by a wonderful young couple & very well maintained. The selection is small & tends toward indie rock (please forgive the term), but they have small & tasteful sections for jazz, noise, & all sorts of stuff. Also a pretty healthy vinyl section, although my lack of a turntable has kept me away from there lest I get too sad. Also lots of t-shirts & stuff & a big lazy cat who likes to sleep on the counter. Come to think of it maybe Dusty Groove could learn something from Permanent.

The open toilet lid and the wet 'n' dry vac give me pause.

I mentioned our thread discussion here to Jason Nickey, who runs Landlocked, and he laughed and said, "Well, just tell him that I've sold 5 copies of NONAAH so far!" And it is true (sadly) that Jason's store is probably the only one in south-central Indiana stocking NONAAH, as well as other cool jazz titles like the ESP reissues (the Don Cherry release is visible on the front riser in the top picture).

I'm sure someone must have posted this before, but it seems appropriate to a thread composed of record store-junkies.

I have never seen it either. Hilarious!

It certainly applies to the Music Exchange liquidation sale in Kansas City this year, in which over 500,000 vinyl albums were set out in boxes in an old warehouse.

Although out of my way(Not exactly enjoyable hour & a 1/2 car ride) I visited the Princeton Record Exchange in NJ for the first time a little over a year ago on a coworker's recommendation.

No lie, within about 2 minutes looking at the 'new arrivals' bin or whatever, I snatched about 7 things I wanted and never saw anywhere else, like J.R Monterose Conn, a few Louis Smith Steeplechases and several others I can't recall. From what I remember they also had a few Mosaics....Nat King Cole, Don Cherry and Larry Young seem to stand out for some reason.

In addition to those, if I had enough money I could have walked out with enough Fantasy/OJCs to fill a suitcase.......

Haven't been back there since but damn! Car ride aside, the place was pretty sweet for someone like me who had never before been in a place like that with so much stuff I wanted to listen to. :excited::blink:

Edited by Templejazz

From what I remember they also had a few Mosaics....Nat King Cole, Don Cherry and Larry Young seem to stand out for some reason.

Last time I visited the Jazz Record Center in NYC some years ago they had a good selection of Mosaics above the racks too. Mainly the more classic jazz titles and not cheap but fairly priced and in excellent condition. Just to see them on sale was an eye-opener.

The rare vinyl racks had some nice BN Lexington deep grooves too (Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley titles spring to mind). They were not cheap but would have been good buys based on the crazy prices for this stuff in recent years. I came out with a couple of Tal Farlow Clef/Norgran LPs - again, not cheap but in wonderful condition. Great place !

Last time I visited the Jazz Record Center in NYC some years ago they had a good selection of Mosaics above the racks too. Mainly the more classic jazz titles and not cheap but fairly priced and in excellent condition. Just to see them on sale was an eye-opener.

The rare vinyl racks had some nice BN Lexington deep grooves too (Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley titles spring to mind). They were not cheap but would have been good buys based on the crazy prices for this stuff in recent years. I came out with a couple of Tal Farlow Clef/Norgran LPs - again, not cheap but in wonderful condition. Great place !

I won a couple OOP Mosaic sets from them on ebay a while back--Woody Shaw and Curtis Fuller--each around or less than $100.

Jazz Record Mart is still hanging in, but I find it just a shadow of its former self and nearly never go in.

Please explain! Why is Jazz Record Mart a shadow of its former self? I have not been there in several years--what happened?

They kept getting squeezed on the rent. Now they are in a walkdown location with maybe half the space of the old location. I just find it claustrophobic. The used CD area is generally a big mess. The staff are far less approachable than before (maybe because they sense more hard times for the store -- hard to know). It's probably still the best dedicated jazz store in Chicago, but I find it so much less pleasant that I don't want to go in anymore.

Jazz Record Mart is still hanging in, but I find it just a shadow of its former self and nearly never go in.

Please explain! Why is Jazz Record Mart a shadow of its former self? I have not been there in several years--what happened?

They kept getting squeezed on the rent. Now they are in a walkdown location with maybe half the space of the old location. I just find it claustrophobic. The used CD area is generally a big mess. The staff are far less approachable than before (maybe because they sense more hard times for the store -- hard to know). It's probably still the best dedicated jazz store in Chicago, but I find it so much less pleasant that I don't want to go in anymore.

How long ago did they move to this new location? I didn't notice an address change in recent years on my copies of Rhythm and News.

How long ago did they move to this new location? I didn't notice an address change in recent years on my copies of Rhythm and News.

Don't remember - 3 or 4 years ago. We discussed it a bit on the board at the time.

They still have a ton of stuff (though mostly new material - few great finds in the used CDs), but I just don't like the vibe there anymore, so I don't go.

They don't send me Rhythm & News regularly - I've had a couple of copies, that's all. If they sent it more regularly, I'd buy more stuff from them. Last lot I got included some really ace Gospel stuff, including "I fell in love with a prostitute", a magnificent sermon from Rev Jasper Williams.

MG

Please do visit Permanent Records if you're out in Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village. It's run by a wonderful young couple & very well maintained. The selection is small & tends toward indie rock (please forgive the term), but they have small & tasteful sections for jazz, noise, & all sorts of stuff. Also a pretty healthy vinyl section, although my lack of a turntable has kept me away from there lest I get too sad. Also lots of t-shirts & stuff & a big lazy cat who likes to sleep on the counter. Come to think of it maybe Dusty Groove could learn something from Permanent.

Hmmm - cats and indie rock. I'm in. I live in Lakeview, so it can be a trek, but as soon as this damn snow lets up...

Don't remember - 3 or 4 years ago. We discussed it a bit on the board at the time.

They still have a ton of stuff (though mostly new material - few great finds in the used CDs), but I just don't like the vibe there anymore, so I don't go.

I have the same feeling when I go in - plus, their prices can be, well, pricey. At least they are near Star of Siam, so I can get some good curry after a browse (which again, I don't do as much anymore).

I went to grad school in St. Louis and have to echo the thoughts about Vintage Vinyl. I was hesitant to move to that town, but VV sold me on the belief that I could survive for three years (this was pre-internet). I remember several Euclid locations too and they were always happy to take my money.

My local record store is a good one in Mill Valley Music. He gives me great deals on trades, will order anything I want, calls me when it comes in and has a great vinyl section. He use to work part time at Village Music (which sadly closed), he’s really doing it for the love of it and he thinks its important for the community as he has a part time job to fund his music store habit. Sadly business isn’t what it should be and losses may be piling up. When I was there two weeks ago they were celebrating the new t-shirt for the store and he poured me a shot of tequila. You don’t get that at Best Buy.

I still like to go to Amoeba on Haight even though they helped to wiped out several other independent record stores in the area and all over SF that couldn't compete. The list of cool record stores that went under the last five years would be a long one.

Edited by WorldB3

I have the same feeling when I go in - plus, their prices can be, well, pricey. At least they are near Star of Siam, so I can get some good curry after a browse (which again, I don't do as much anymore).

I went to grad school in St. Louis and have to echo the thoughts about Vintage Vinyl. I was hesitant to move to that town, but VV sold me on the belief that I could survive for three years (this was pre-internet). I remember several Euclid locations too and they were always happy to take my money.

Don't think the inventory has been reduced to meet the space. Ask for stuff. It is really just rearranged from my experience.

My local record store is a good one in Mill Valley Music. He gives me great deals on trades, will order anything I want, calls me when it comes in and has a great vinyl section. He use to work part time at Village Music (which sadly closed), he’s really doing it for the love of it and he thinks its important for the community as he has a part time job to fund his music store habit. Sadly business isn’t what it should be and losses may be piling up. When I was there two weeks ago they were celebrating the new t-shirt for the store and he poured me a shot of tequila. You don’t get that at Best Buy.

I still like to go to Amoeba on Haight even though they helped to wiped out several other independent record stores in the area and all over SF that couldn't compete. The list of cool record stores that went under the last five years would be a long one.

I miss Village Music. A truly great store.

• 1 month later...

I live right near a dusty old record store called The Jazz Quarter in the Sunset district of SF, and its eccentric one person staff named Tom has been a challenging influence for my dive into the history of Jazz. Through him, I've been hipped to events like Larry Vuckovich at the Piedmont Piano Store and the Dogpatch Saloon. He's the type of guy that doesn't say hello or involve himself in any sort of stop-and-chat, but every time I enter the store, he plays obscure records specifically based on my taste from what he remembers me buying the last time I came in. When pushed, he gives me a thorough lecture filled with personal stories. I love that place.

Is that the one on 20th near Irving?

Yup.

I'll have to remember that one. I didn't know about it. I may be coming into SF Friday or Saturday. I'll make an effort to stop in and check it out.

Don't get too excited because the hours are extremely erratic, and it is just one guy's operation, but I think technically it is supposed to be 1pm to 6pm Tues.-Sat.

Tom from the Jazz Quarter was just featured in yesterday's SF Chronicle!!

In Austin there is Waterloo of course...which is kind of an annoying store but they do get some good used stuff.

My store of choice here is Encore Music & Video, the guy that runs it is very cool and I like throwing business his way. They also stock alot of obscure import horror & genre movies which gives them extra credit in my book.

Guest Bill Barton

With the relatively recent sad demise of Bud's Jazz Records, the place in Seattle that I really like best is Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. They don't have much in the way of mainstream jazz, but if your tastes include free jazz, avant-garde, non-idiomatic improvisation, EAI, contemporary classical plus assorted experimental and/or improvised musics they're the place in Seattle to check out.