Int'l Association of Jazz Record Collectors

I've been a member of the International Association of Jazz Record Collectors (IAJRC) for quite a few years, but I decided not to renew my membership for the following reason.

One of the primary purposes of the IAJRC is "...to maintain an Association of collectors of jazz recordings of all eras and styles..."; my main objection is that, contrary to this statement, they seem to be very much biased towards older, pre-bop jazz styles and mainly white jazz musicians - though I admit that they've been reviewing an increasing number of "modern" (i.e. bop and later) recordings in their Journal lately.

Any opinions on the IAJRC?

I am myself a member and am more interested in post-war jazz (WWII, that is) than pre-war. Though I enjoy it all, I do skip over many articles in the Journal.

As someone told me once, if you (as a more modern fan) don't stay and participate then what can you expect? Believe me, the IAJRC and Journal now are *way* more inclusive than years ago.

Honestly, the fans of pre-war jazz have a tough time in the world today. Radio stations like WBGO have programming policies that directly exclude their music and it's not like performances of that kind of music are anywhere near as common as bebop, hard bop, post bop, free jazz, fusion, etc. etc. There are some, of course. But for those people who think that Don Cherry was the vocalist from the Victor Young Orchestra, the Tomasz Stanko tribute to Cherry will be a rude awakening. (Not that WBGO doesn't have a policy excluding that music!!!)

Going through the last 12 journals (to 2000), I find: a cover story on Texas Tenors, articles on Charlie Parker (2), V-discs, the Billy Eckstine film, the Deer Head Inn, the Randy Brooks band, Boris Rose (2), Paul Villepigue, Ladislav Habart, and as you mention, *plenty* of reviews that deal with more modern music.

In terms of their CD issues, they have put out a 1986 Al Cohn concert and a set of 1954 Horace Henderson broadcasts, 1949/53 Herbie Fields, Oscar Pettiford 1953-60, and a Lucky Thompson, among others.

For a little comparison, looking at the 1973 Journals I found NO post-war material, apart from the occasional review (Kenton, Ellington, Herman, Clifford Brown!).

As has been mentioned at various times in the Journal, the IAJRC is looking for people to help - what better way to support your preference (and that of many other members) than by being more active as a member? And I don't mean just writing a letter expressing your displeasure - because we've seen those, and the responses from the early jazz guys who want *less* modern material in the Journal(!).

Hoping you will reconsider, if just to know that there will be one more member out there with similar interests rather than one fewer. There is no similar organization/publication strictly for post-war jazz. Things at the IAJRC are getting better, not worse.

Mike

I'm also a member. But every time my subscription becomes due I agonise about renewing. The only benefit for me is the magazine but like Mike I skip a lot of the articles as post war jazz is my primary interest. For me then the subscription is quite a lot to pay for a four times a year magazine. However the idea is good and with more members to give it a wider scope it could be very useful

Mike's post has a lot of valid points, but writing articles about jazz in English is not my forte, so contributing to the IAJRC Journal is out of the question for me. The magazine is the only benefit for me too, but I also skip a lot of articles for reasons stated in my first post. I agree with JohnS, at $40 a year (non-U.S. price) a subscription is a costly affair for a four times a year magazine, the more so since most of the time the CD review section is the only part that really interests me.

Edited by J.A.W.

I was a member for a while back in the early 90s and I was appalled at the lack of interest in any post-WW2 Jazz. I expected there to be at least a couple of people who had a similar interest but sadly found none. It's funny, I actually joined on Michael Cuscuna's advice. He said it might be a place where I could find people who had access to hard-to-find hard bop vinyl. It turned out to be quite untrue. They used to have a catalog of members with the name, address, phone number and "area of interest". I searched this thing for one person on my neck of the woods who might have even the slightest interest in my favorite, hard bop... no luck.

I would consider looking into it again if what Mike says is true. They did seem like a nice bunch of guys... they just didn't like to talk about the stuff I liked.

Later,

Kevin

Bop and later jazz styles met with outright hostility from some of the contributors to the IAJRC Journal, at least a few years ago; according to one of them it had nothing to do with music.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans -

Where are you located? (ditto for you, Kevin)

I've definitely made contacts with IAJRC members who have helped with things like the Gryce book. An idea that I just had is to see about publishing the discographical addenda to the book in the IAJRC Journal (and on my website). There have been some post-publication discoveries that we'd like to share before any second edition gets printed. The Journal might be a good place for that - besides, who else would print such a thing?

Perhaps there is work that could be done in terms of coordinating something (there is more to the IAJRC than the Journal, though I haven't participated in the conventions). Or maybe you could collaborate with an English-speaker on a project. Do you have a speciality in terms of artist or label?

I don't recall the specific hostility that you're referring to (I probably shrugged it off). I'll see if I can check on that in the back issues. There will always be idiots and musical bigots/zealots, even in the world of jazz fans. One does one's best to ignore. But is the hostility the reason you are not renewing or is it the lack of more coverage of modern styles? I was under the impression it was the latter.

Glad to see the talk - it's important to discuss this, rather than just give up.

Mike

Mike,

I live in Groningen, the Netherlands. We used to have a thriving annual international jazz festival (the "Jazz Marathon") and lots of great jazz concerts way back in the 1970s, but it's kind of dead these days.

You're right, it's best to ignore those musical zealots, though that's a bit harder when you get your head bitten off by one. However, that's not why I didn't renew - like I said it is the lack of modern jazz coverage over the years and the IAJRC's bias towards predominantly white pre-bop jazz, and the price of a subscription ($40, non-U.S. price) to a four times a year magazine that doesn't interest me that much except for the CD review section.

Edited by J.A.W.

Incidentally the UK members have a get together in a couple of weeks time. I've no idea what it will be like but it should prove to be an indicator on the state of IAJRC in the UK. I'll post something here on the outcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend's meeting was pretty rewarding. It's true that about 90 percent of those present (about 25, not a bad number considering the British membership) were mainly interested in swing and big bands, not necessarily white bands though. The presentations were varied and covered AFRS recordings, black British swing and most interesting for me a talk by Alan Bates on aquiring the Candid label and it's music.

On the strength of the meeting I'll be renewing my membership this year.

I've been an IAJRC member for maybe a decade. I do find the emphasis on pre-war jazz a shortcoming. But I've accepted the bias because we all have them - individuals and organizations alike. There are plenty of places where the bias is on post-war jazz - just think of those Internet bulletin boards.

The magazine is very good and exhibits the pre-war bias in only a few spots - usually the feature bio-discographies. The reviews run almost the enitire range of jazz.

I did have a heck of a time at my first convention. I had pleasant conversations with many attendees, right up until I mentioned the name of a bebopper or hard bopper. Eventually, I found a guy with more modern tastes and we ended up seeking refuge in our own world for significant portions of the get together.

Still, IAJRC members are a sincere and dedicated lot, with an abundance of resources at their disposal (including time, for many of the retirees). Whether I care to see a collection of hotel registration pages for every hotel where Trummy Young ever bedded down or not, however...