Kenny Dorham

Claude Schlouch

Dorham had such a gorgeous tone and great ideas, really perfect on his "Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia" set and of course, the JM Bohemia sets. As a side note how long was Kenny Burrell with the Jazz Prophets, was that a steady gig or just a 1 off for that recording?

doesn't it say in the notes burrell was just a guest for that night? one of my favorite trumpet players!

Really one of the great trumpet players. I love everything he did, from the great 1946 sides with Fats, Sonny, Bud, Klook, his tenure with Mr. B., his playing with Bird, with Monk in 1952 and above all, when he together with Hank Mobley formed the front line of the Messengers.

I really love his BN albums "Afro Cuban", "Round Midnight at the Bohemia", "Una Mas" etc. and his many sessions with Joe Henderson. It´s too bad he stopped recording after 1964.

IIRC, Dorham also wrote semi-regularly for DOWNBEAT in his latter years. Record reviews, mostly, but I believe he also penned an autobiographical sketch for the magazine as well. I for one would love to have all that material collected.

Not so.

Recorded with Cecil Payne and Clifford Jordan for Strata-East in the nascent days of that label.

Austin's own left quite a legacy!

jazzdisco.org lists ten sessions after 1964... (and the barry harris sextet date from 1968 is easily recommended)