Joe Satriani sues Coldplay

Shawn

It's a simple enough melody that I'd actually buy the coincidence defense--plus I imagine Coldplay might be the types who haven't delved into the Satriani discography. Find the Satriani tune on one of their iPods or in their cd collection, then they've got a case. Unless of course, a tune with the same melody preceding both can be found--then someone else has a case.

To me the fact it's from a musician like Satriani makes it even more believable. It's not like they would have much of a chance getting sliding it by if was Van Halen or Bruce Springsteen. But an instrumental tune from an 80s dude like him? Hell yes it is possible they lifted it.

I think he has a solid case and I think Rachel is right. This will be settled with cash to Satriani and then swept under the carpet.

LOS ANGELES – A noted guitarist has sued members of Coldplay, claiming the band's smash hit "Viva La Vida" copied parts of one of his songs.The copyright infringement lawsuit by Joe Satriani was filed Thursday in federal court in Los Angeles....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081205/ap_en_...ht_infringement

Here's a YouTube clip showing the song comparison...I think Satch has a chance with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I...feature=related

I just noticed the video has been removed from youtube. The other link is also gone for some reason.

Thank you. (obviously not a fan here). What bugs me the most about this is their "Sting-like" megalomania. ^_^

Hmmm. I'm not really a fan - though I love the "Viva La Vida" single - but I've never gotten any kind of a megalomia vibe from them. In fact they all seem like decent guys - at least for rock stars.

It's a simple enough melody that I'd actually buy the coincidence defense--plus I imagine Coldplay might be the types who haven't delved into the Satriani discography. Find the Satriani tune on one of their iPods or in their cd collection, then they've got a case. Unless of course, a tune with the same melody preceding both can be found--then someone else has a case.

To me the fact it's from a musician like Satriani makes it even more believable. It's not like they would have much of a chance getting sliding it by if was Van Halen or Bruce Springsteen. But an instrumental tune from an 80s dude like him? Hell yes it is possible they lifted it.

I think he has a solid case and I think Rachel is right. This will be settled with cash to Satriani and then swept under the carpet.

Oh I'm sure it will be settled. The songs are way too similar for Satriani to not win in court. That said, I really doubt that Coldplay intentionally "stole" the tune. On one of their earlier songs, in fact (or so I read), they actually credited another writer whose tune they used part of.

I imagine Joe Satriani will then be swept under the carpet again after a short ride on the coattails of this law suit.

This is the second time I've heard his music in thirty two years. The other was at a friend's house (who sat around finger-tapping a lime green guitar) in high school. Satriani was always featured in ads in the Electric Guitar Magazines. I guess one of his songs made the cut on a sample CD that came with one of the magazines.

As soon as it was over, we made him put Are You Experienced? back in.

Boy, we're a bunch of music snobs around here! :w

I'm not a Joe Satriani "fan", but I admire his guitar playing skills and his ability to sustain a career playing instrumental rock music, which has about the same sales potential as your average jazz album.

Agree. Dude has skills, that can't be denied, fan or not.

I guess this should be in the "Guilty Pleasures" thread, but I actually like a lot of what I've heard of Coldplay.

They are good for what they are. From what I’ve heard of the new album, it could have used more Rolaids than Eno, but their previous two albums were good for those who like such music and tolerable for those who don’t. When my wife plays Coldplay, I think “thank god it’s not Dido” just as she prefers “The Sidewinder” over “Machine Gun.”

This case will likely get settled out of court. Seems to be closer to a “I Wan’t a New Drug” v. “Ghostbusters” kind of a case rather than a “He’s So Fine” v. “He’s So Fine My Sweet Lord” type of case. Funnily, there’s something familiar about the other single off the new Coldplay album, but I can’t put my finger on it.

Boy, we're a bunch of music snobs around here! :w

I'm not a Joe Satriani "fan", but I admire his guitar playing skills and his ability to sustain a career playing instrumental rock music, which has about the same sales potential as your average jazz album.

I was a freshman in high school... that was a good six months before I became a music snob! All's I can say is I'm glad my wife owns Coldplay albums instead of Joe Satriani albums.

I'm sure he has influenced plenty of guitarists and has plenty of people that are actually TRYING to copy his music, and I don't care to hear their albums either!

Let's all hope Joe and Coldplay get together for a romping rendition of I Can Fly/Viva La Vida on a television near us very soon.

"Viva La Vida" is one of the WORST mastered albums I've ever heard. It sounds identical to the streaming MP3's. Anyway, yeah Satriani probably has a case, but I wonder what the bridge of his tune sounds like.

"Recorded in a bakery, a nunnery, a magic shop, and a church."

"Mastering by Bob Ludwig with thanks to George Marino."

"Thank you to everyone who has helped us."

Doesn't that last part get them off the hook?

Did they?! That's funny. I saw them on Austin City Limits recently. Michael Stipe came out and did Night Swimming.

I also feel like I've seen them on some other HD concert programming... so many small venue HD recordings going on right now! The coolest one I've seen I think was The Mars Volta. They BLEW IT OUT with question and answer sessions between tunes!!!