interesting Pat Metheny project news

CJ Shearn

found the link on the Yahoo Metheny list.

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=12087

Pat 'One Man Band' Metheny

Friday, Dec 5, 2008 2:04PM

Jazz guitarist and composer Pat Metheny is gearing up to tour next fall, showcasing modern technology that will allow him to perform complex compositions onstage all by himself.

Expanding on his trailblazing use of guitar synthesizers and modern computer technology, the 17-time Grammy-winning musician has created a new Orchestrion, an ensemble of mechanical instruments that will be controlled by his guitar and pen.

He will show off all original compositions using the new instruments that combine conventional acoustic sound and robotic technology.

Dates are being booked for the North American leg of "An Evening with Pat Metheny Tour," which will kick off in fall 2009. In early 2010 he will head to Europe and then it's on to the Far East and Pacific Rim.

During the tour Metheny will share tunes from his new album, set for release in the fall of 2009.

There is already debate on the Pat Yahoo mailing list as to how this will turn out, but I don't think this is that unusual. It's not that much different then when he used to use the Synclavier, and remember that the various indie film soundtracks he did were all him using the Synclav. Also remember that "Secret Story" was originally all Pat in the rough mixes of the album as Synclavier completed versions of those tunes existed back in 1988. "Still Life (Talking)" and "Letter From Home" have sections that were originally all Pat. Remember how the inside liner to "Letter From Home" says "all basic Synclavier parts played by Pat"? I don't imagine how Pat leading an electronic ensemble is all that dissimilar. Yeah purists will balk, but I don't think this is intended as a "straight ahead" project, as I had heard he was looking to compositionally expand on "The Way Up." How the PMG fits into all this remains to be seen as their quartet tour of Japan begins December 30th. Joe, this concept doesn't sound all that strange to you knowing Pat right?

I really fall into the 'reactionary old codger' camp when it comes to sticking guitars through synths. I like the clean guitar sound Pat had in the late 70s; shoved through all those electronics he always sounds like a bloody mouth-organ (see other thread) to me. All credit to Pat for constantly trying to do something different from what he did before - it just doesn't work for me when it's about synths.

John McLaughlin is another - I really have no sense of him as a player on his albums of the last ten or so years. I actually enjoyed 'Industrial Zen' but would be hard pressed to pick out where John is playing in places. Even in the Remembering Shakti groups he seems more a colouristic presence than a distinctive voice.

I saw Pat play a great concert with his trio in 2007. He played acoustic and electric guitars extremely creatively and well. He obtained some appealing, unusual sounds from his electric guitar in the midst of intense, pure jazz improvisations. Was he using synthesizers at times? I have no idea, but he could have been. I have not heard other guitarists make some of those sounds with their guitars. It did not matter. It was just exciting music.

Pat uses the Roland GR300 for most of his guitar synth work. It a purely analog synth from 1979, its used on such tracks as "Are You Going With Me?" the live "Question and Answer", and "The Red One" among others. Pat told me one of the reasons he sticks with the GR300 is b/c no other guitar synth has the same tracking ability that responds to every "guitaristic gesture", and really IMO, it has such a cool, fat, sound

I don't have any philosophical objection to using technology any way one wants to, and the idea of live electronic performance of multiple parts isn't brand new by any means. My fear is that it will turn out to be gimmicky--that it will be impressive not by what he plays but that he can manage to play so much at all. But he's a virtuoso and a deep thinker, so here's hoping it will be a brilliant tour-de-force and not a self-indulgent display of gadgetry. Could go either way, though.

I also had the opportunity to see Pat Metheny last year when he toured with Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. He did a couple of tunes where he featured synth guitars. I like most of the synth work he does but it doesn't compare to the classic Metheny "sound". Metheny is certainly one musician not afraid of exploring new paths. He is from my home area of Kansas City and I have followed his career for over thirty years. One of his strengths, I believe, is his interplay with other musicians. Will be interesting to hear, though.

I don't have any philosophical objection to using technology any way one wants to, and the idea of live electronic performance of multiple parts isn't brand new by any means. My fear is that it will turn out to be gimmicky--that it will be impressive not by what he plays but that he can manage to play so much at all. But he's a virtuoso and a deep thinker, so here's hoping it will be a brilliant tour-de-force and not a self-indulgent display of gadgetry. Could go either way, though.

Agreed. The technology would only work for me if I didn't miss the other musicians. If the machine reminds me throughout the program that I'm hearing a machine then it spoils it for me. It's like playing along with records.

• 1 year later...