Your Top 3 Mosaics...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Tina Brooks. Maybe because it was only released on LP and has subsequently been issued in its entirely on individual CD's, you tend to forget what a revelation it was when Mosaic first made it available. For that reason, I'm going with that as my #1. The "blown away by" factor for this one was off the charts.

Second and third would have to go to compilations, the HRS and the Capital Jazz boxes in no particular order. That's simply a function of diversity. The idea of being able to throw on a handful of discs from either set and be able to listen to so many different musicians just seems to be my cup of tea.

I know I can only choose three, but I'd feel guilty if I didn't at least bring up the Jackie McLean.

Up over and out.

I'm familiar with the Herbie Nichols, Andrew Hill, Larry Young and Cecil Taylor sets as individual releases and all are must have in one format or another. I'm usually happy with the master takes, so no pining for a few bonus tracks here. I guess my favorite Mosaic that I actually own is the Don Pullen Select, McCoy Tyner Select a close second. Also, Jazztet, Parlan and Gerald Wilson that I haven't had as long ... Weston, Patton, first Hill Select, Amy ...

Impossible task! OK, here's three I listen to alot...

Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions

H.R.S.

Chu Berry

and some runner ups/honorable mentions...

Hardy & Quebec Blue Note

Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura & Flip Phillips

Capitol Jazz

Ellington Small Groups

Verve Hodges

Edited by Brute

Anthony Braxton

Andrew Hill

Chico Hamilton (still haven't found anyone to sell me a copy of this...)

Honorable mention: Cecil Taylor

I have some reservations about including the Hill and Taylor just because all of the music has since been made available in other formats, but on the musical merits alone they make the cut for me. By that standard, I guess the Mingus set has to be included as well.