Your Top 3 Mosaics...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two I couldn't live without:

Django

Pres

I'd concede that both of these artists are adequately represented on other labels, but I find the Mosaics compelling for their consistent, high-quality presentation, and fine choice of music.

Edited by BeBop

I'm amazed at all the Anita O'Day mentions. I didn't realize it was that popular. I'm definitely going to have to spend more time with it.

Top 3 based on estimated playing time (I'm surprising myself here):

Gerald Wilson

Blue Mitchell

Thad Jones (3CD set)

Runners up:

Jackie McLean

Larry Young

Selects:

Tolliver

Patton

One VERY interesting omission to-date.... (I think).... is the Chu Berry...

Who purchased that??? Not that hot???

You're only allowing for 3. Tough choices have to be made. I love Chu's playing but there is a lot of Cab Calloway to deal with. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for that part of the set.

And answers also obviously depend on when someone found out about Mosaic. For me it wasn't until the Konitz/Tristano/Marsh set came out. Monk's Blue Note material is some of my alltime favorite music, but for me I know it as RVGs. Herbie Nichols is a Blue Note box that fits easily on the shelf, not a big box Mosaic. And so on. If I answered on music I have that was a Mosaic set but I have in another form, you'd get different answers. :)

1) The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio (my first Mosaic set)

2) The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy DeFranco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark

3) a toss-up between the Art Hodes, Amos Milburn, and Shorty Rogers sets

The Art Hodes set was the second Mosaic that I ever purchased (second-hand LP set). It is a terrible shame that his wonderful recordings for Blue Note are not more widely available.

One VERY interesting omission to-date.... (I think).... is the Chu Berry...

Who purchased that??? Not that hot???

You're only allowing for 3. Tough choices have to be made. I love Chu's playing but there is a lot of Cab Calloway to deal with. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for that part of the set.

And answers also obviously depend on when someone found out about Mosaic. For me it wasn't until the Konitz/Tristano/Marsh set came out. Monk's Blue Note material is some of my alltime favorite music, but for me I know it as RVGs. Herbie Nichols is a Blue Note box that fits easily on the shelf, not a big box Mosaic. And so on. If I answered on music I have that was a Mosaic set but I have in another form, you'd get different answers. :)

Definitely. I came to Mosaic just a bit late for the Andrew Hill and Jackie McLean sets, but with patience it has all been reissued on CD. This is unlikely to happen for some of these other artists, particularly as we are in the "end of days" for CD distribution.

It really sounds like the Chu Berry stretches the Mosaic ethos, in the sense that it isn't complete and they sort of arbitrarily included or dropped some of his sidemen sessions. Then like Proper they say, oh for the Red Norvo cuts, go to the Berigan set. Well, the difference is the Proper Boxes almost never go out of print. While they were writing the Chu Berry press release, the Berigan set went out of print. I think it is a little disappointing that they didn't include these tracks (roughly 10 minutes' worth), particularly With All My Heart and Soul, which features Chu more than Berigan. I'll still get the set eventually, but there are definitely some aspects of it I don't care for.

Edited by ejp626