Your Top 3 Mosaics...

okay... my last post got me thinking..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Of those Mosaics you possess.... what are your three favorites??? (Doesn't have to be in order of preference..)

I'd have to go...

1) Elvin Jones Blue Note Sessions

2) Anita O'Day

* 3) Two way tie... :blink: :blink: :blink: Stanley Turrentine & Tal Farlow...

** With one caveat... I have the Oscar Peterson but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet... and I suspect it might jump on this list...

How's that for a top 3... maybe 5? :winky:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite. . . .

Charlie Parker

Herbie Nichols

Art Hodes

I'd probably have been tempted to include either T-Bone Walker or Charles Mingus (Columbia) if I had Mosaic versions of those; I listen to this material a lot.

Tough one! I'd have to go with Complete Commodore Vol. 1, Art Pepper and Bud Powell. But it would hard to live without the the Monk, Herbie Nichols, Sidney Bechet, Cecil Taylor, Larry Young, Lester Young, Basie Live, and Chet Baker/Russ Freeman sets.

Edited by blind-blake

I only have a handful, so this is relatively easy for me:

Ellington 36-40 Small Group Sessions

Hodges Small Groups 56-61

Complete H.R.S.

(a certain theme to those three)

... with the obligatory caveat that the Lester Young-Basie is on the way, and is certain to jump onto the list.

Hmm...you ask a tough question. Out of 21 big boxes:

Venuti/Lang - such a diverse set, and the sound in most places is almost criminally good given the age of the recordings.

Django Reinhardt - have the JSP too, but this is nicer. Guess I like violin in jazz alright, but I also like how the clarinet period is included here as well.

Gerald Wilson - I go back to it all the time. This may have been the release that pushed me over the edge to the Malcolm Addey cult too. :rhappy:

It's very tough to leave off the Duke small groups, but I still associate that set with having the Columbia releases. And hell yes, I love a bunch of the Blue Note sets (Byrd/Adams, Mobley, Turrentine, Parlan), the 2nd Hodges, Bix/Tram/Tea, and H.R.S. too. Not a one I dislike. I still need another couple of years to digest the Classic Capitol to see where it ranks. :)

From the 79 I own:

The Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie

The Decca Studio Recordings of Louis Armstrong

The Lester Young/Count Basie Sessions

But it's impossible not to mention the Blue Note and Pacific Clifford Brown, the Serge Chaloff, the Anita O'Day, the Ellington Reprise, the Lionel Hampton... And I'm still listening to the new Goodman's (I'm halfaway)

Just thinking about how to answer this question made me realize I need to get into my Mosaics a bit more. Off the top of my head:

Horace Parlan

Hank Mobley

The Jazz Crusaders

Of the Selects:

Curtis Amy

Carmell Jones

Dizzy Reece

Some more listening could easily change my picks. The Basie's are outstanding. The Jazztet and the Jazz Messengers are right up there and there's some from West Coasters that I've only heard once.

Edited by mikelz777