Art Pepper: The Hollywood Allstar Sessions

RonF

A friend of mine gave me the single CD compilation of stuff from this box. Although I'm still fully exploring it, my overall assessment is "nice but far from essential." If you're a Pepper fanatic, you'll want it. Otherwise, I'm not sure. For me what lets it down in many spots are the rather staid rhythm sections...later period Pepper cried out for a more dynamic, energetic approach (Cables/Williams/Higgins or Elvin Jones).

Get this box! You'll never regret it. There are sessions with Bill Watrous that I love, as well as a session with Milcho Leviev and Jack Sheldon where they do Night and Day that is just superb; I've never heard it better. Plus there are two sessions with Sonny Stitt. The only downer were the liner notes by Art's wife. I didn't think they were very informative. But that's a really minor complaint. There is really some great music here.

I kinda liked Laurie Pepper's notes which provide insight into Art the complicated person, rather than technical stuff about the music. Basically he got to be a sideman on his own records here (kinda like [D]erek & the Dominoes that way). Which means he wasn't responsible for the albums on a conceptual level and was free to just play well on material, and with people, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to do otherwise. If you're at least a 'pretty big' Pepper fan you'll probably dig it. I certainly do. But then I own the complete Galaxy box (16CDs), so I guess I'm more than a pretty big fan.

I would recommend it as well; the notes by Laurie Pepper are very good, provide the background to the sessions; but it is also interesting to hear Art Pepper playing as part of a somewhat larger ensamble.

Compared to the Village Vanguard sessions, less intense. But still not at all bad.