Bird at Birdland

medjuck

Anyone familiar with the "Bird at Birdland" Charly box set? I've got the Ember "complete" set but it only goes to 1952. The Charly set goes to 1954. I just noticed that I only have vol 1 of the Ember set. Is there a volume 2 that goes to '54? I see something on Amazon called Birdland" 1&2 but there's no description. (Amazon does give the listing of tracks for the Charly set so I'll compare it with the Ember set when I get home, but I'd appreciate info on the sound quality. (BTW The Ember set is great.)

There is a volume 2 of the Ember set. There is also a an over 90% overlap between the Ember sets and the Charly. If I am not mistaken, the two Ember sets contain everything on the Charly and a couple more obscure sessions. If you already have Ember vol. 1, you should look for volume 2.

To answer my own question: I checked with Peter Losin's Bird discography and it looks like rather than releasing a Vol 2 of just the remaining cuts from Birdland, Embers put them on a 2 cd box entitled "Charlie Parker at Café Society Downtown and Birdland". Gotta find it now.

I was fairly sure that I saw a volume 2 in Europe. But I could be wrong. I own the Charly myself. Note: the Cafe Society tracks are not on the Charly Birdland box, but they can be found on quite a number of other reissues.

Edited by John L

I was fairly sure that I saw a volume 2 in Europe. But I could be wrong. I own the Charly myself. Note: the Cafe Society tracks are not on the Charly Birdland box, but they can be found on quite a number of other reissues.

John, the 4CD box "At Birdland 1950-1951 Volume 1" (got it recently) was also released as two 2CD sets, as far as I know. So maybe you saw volume two of this?

ubu

I was fairly sure that I saw a volume 2 in Europe.  But I could be wrong.  I own the Charly myself.  Note: the Cafe Society tracks are not on the Charly Birdland box, but they can be found on quite a number of other reissues.

John, the 4CD box "At Birdland 1950-1951 Volume 1" (got it recently) was also released as two 2CD sets, as far as I know. So maybe you saw volume two of this?

ubu

Yes, that must be it. I must have somehow confused the second one with the volume 2.