Your musical year, 2009?

A Lark Ascending

Albums (or downloads!!!!), concerts, tours, festivals, books, projects...

In the near future:

Julian Arguelles has two CDs slated for early 2009.

Enrico Rava's January ECM with Stefano Bollani, Larry Grenadier and Paul Motion.

The first full CD by a great young English folk collaboration - Mawkin/Causley.

And there must be a new English Acoustic Collective this year! Been waiting for ages!

A bit nervous about...

Bath and Cheltenham this year. With UK festivals seizing up all over in the current economic climate, a bit worried that the fist might drift a bit further into world music in order to draw off a wider base, the latter may have to cut back on the more off the wall stuff.

More Swing! More Latin (-American and -African)! More Township Jive! I'm only scratching the surface of all these musics so far, lots more exciting stuff to explore.

More live music! Planning a trip to America in the spring, so I expect to get in at least one gig - which will already be more than this year :)

MG

I'm curious about a few things -

* additional Sonny Rollins live recordings

* the Frisell/Hall collaboration (i know it's out, but it will be '09 before I get to it)

* John Scofield's Piety Street album

pietyhk0.png

* Porcupine Tree's next album

* would like to see King Crimson re-convene for a studio recording

* would like to see Genesis tour with Gabriel/Hackett

Picking up more of the Robert Wyatt reissues.

A new Fall album.

of Montreal live at the end of January.

The inevitable stream of Anthony Braxton.

Spending some more time with Sun Ra and Albert Ayler.

Discovering more noise and improv acts int he local area and hopefully playing with them.

Recording a couple of new sessions and giving them away (unless someone with a penchant for ugly wants to put my stuff out on vinyl :))

Hopefully discovering more new music than ever before.

Maybe continuing my exploration of late period Coltrane.

Edited by stuartjewkes

In St Louis we're scheduled for Dave Holland, Pat Martino, and the Blue Note 70th Anniversary tour-and that's just through February!

I'm also hoping for more volumes of Sonny Rollins' Roadshow :excited:

If BMG Jazz Club bites the dust- a great going out of business sale on box sets

Then there's the Ahmad Jamal on Mosaic :tup

and the new discoveries that each new year brings.

Peace,

Jeff T. aka Blue Trane

A few more Mosaics for the upcoming year. I'm interested in the Bennie Green, Charles Tolliver and Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Selects. I've heard some good stuff on the Randy Weston but admit my knowledge of him is extremely limited. I'll continue to delve deeper into the West Coast jazz scene of the 1950's. I've been interested in purchasing a bunch of VSOP titles of Richie Kamuca, Eddie Costa, Stan Levey, Conte Condoli, Victor Feldman, Frank Rosolino etc. Hopefully I can check out a few jazz shows. It's my dream to finally get to The Village Vanguard. Never been there before. It would be a dream come true.

Bath and Cheltenham this year. With UK festivals seizing up all over in the current economic climate, a bit worried that the fist might drift a bit further into world music in order to draw off a wider base, the latter may have to cut back on the more off the wall stuff.

Both of these saw it through the last recesion OK so here's keeping fingers crossed. I am looking forward to both this year and hope that the jazz content will be up to standard - particularly of US artists. Sadly, Heloise Osborne, the lady who was a major organiser/producer of the Bath Fest over the years passed away recently though. :(

I'm likely to see in the New Year with a lot of lesser known Sibelius. Andrew Barnett's bio has really piqued my interest to explore beyond the symphonies/violin concerto/tone poems/Kullervo that I've known for years. Fortunately this has been extensively recorded on Bis and Bis are on e-music!

Guest Bill Barton

Who knows? I'm always hoping to stumble on some new sounds that I've never heard before.

Same here. :tup

Yes, indeed! So much music, so little time, as the ol' saw goes.

My "discoveries" in 2008 included Mary Halvorson, Jim McAuley, The Royal Hartigan Ensemble, Matt Ulery's Loom and Ken Field's Revolutionary Snake Ensemble.

I'd love to finally hear Anthony Braxton in performance during 2009, hopefully with one of the Diamond Curtain Wall groups. He's one of the living giants whom I've never caught "live."

It would be great if Bill Cole's Untempered Ensemble could finally make it to the West Coast too.

It's likely that I'll be catching as many shows as possible at the Chapel Performance Space and Gallery 1412 in Seattle. There's always something "new" to be heard at those two venues.

And high on the wish list for recordings would be a reunion of Strata Institute: Steve Coleman! Greg Osby! Vonski!

Edited by Bill Barton

Who knows? I'm always hoping to stumble on some new sounds that I've never heard before.

Have you ever checked out Wolf Eyes or their kin?

No, as a matter I haven't. Details please :rolleyes:

:)

Most often called noise musicians, Wolf Eyes did a CD recently (haven't heard it yet) with Anthony Braxton.

I'm fascinated by the kind of performances and products that are offered by people like Wolf Eyes. They manipulate electronic sources to create sound textures in waves with crushing percussion and throw in a bit of skronk sax now and then. It's quite oppresive at times but if you give it time it can be quite rewarding.

It just strikes me that there could be some cross over appeal for people interested in more out there jazz. I'm certainly sold and I record albums of lo-fi improvisations with my personal take on some of the ideas thrown about by certain circles.

I find it refreshing, and it cleanses the palette after a more structured or fluffy listening experience.