Where do you get your musical joys?

BeBop

I sidetracked one of Bev's threads, but wanted to post separately for a more focused discussion. (My thanks to those who posted in Bev's thread, responding to my question.)

Most of us probably derive musical pleasure from both recordings and live events. And we probably enjoy both the living musicians and those that have passed. ("Paying dues", is one musician's term.)

Because of my travel/home situation, I get 97.4% of my musical joy from concerts. Most of these concerts - the occasional contrived Art Tatum performance aside - are by living musicians. :blink: I feel that this is the best way to enjoy a spontaneous jazz performance, good sound/presentation, minimum distraction and the simple presence of being 'in the moment'. (One might argue that many performances lack some element of this list: the 'canned' solo, the poor acoustics, the 'off' night...)

Some people, of course, don't have good concert venues at-hand. (I seldom do either, but I catch lots of street performances and such.)

So, what's your mix? Could you live without ever seeing a concert? Does a concert bring additional meaning to your recordings? Do you prefer recordings, based on convenience, reliable sound or for some other reason?

Overlay: I'm guessing that Organissimo would characterize itself as mainly a performing, rather than recording, group - though I could be wrong. (And yes, I've seen them perform. Not on a street corner.) How would you, as a musician like to be enjoyed and remembered? From recordings only or from first-hand listening experience?

I'm biased. I'm a virtually un-recorded "musician" (now "failed musician").

Good question!

I am a lifelong jazz fan, and will always be. But my experience is that you get a lot of geeks and nerds at live jazz events (I have no idea why) and so I tend to avoid them. If it's live, then I go for clubs where they play house. The people there are, for the most part, very friendly. They are there to have a good time. And the evenings are almost always a real groove. Plus, you can dance as well.

Hey, i resent being called a geek :ph34r:

Seriously, there's a unique thrill of watching a great show and watch all the faces of acquaintances and anonymous fans lighting up because they know they heard and saw something special. To me concert going is more about sharing an experience with fellow fans. No matter whether i interact or not with them.

Listening to CDs to me at least, is more of a private and introspective experience, it's a place where i go when i want to forget about the rest of the world, it's more like a private island where nobody is invited.

I love going to live events but their joys can be overstated - for every vital, totally engaging performance there are many that just go through the motions. Or where you are just not properly alert - too tired, drunk one too many beers, just listless. All of which effects home listening - but you don't have that thought 'Gosh, why did I come all this way?'

Two places I really enjoy recorded music:

a) Driving - I'm probably quite wrong here but music and driving seem to use different bits of the brain. I can get really tuned into a CD whilst driving (unlike reading (or typing!) and listening to music where one or the other gets tuned out).

b) Solo walking - ipod, walkperson or whatever. A nice wander in the country with appropriate music can be quite magical. Maria Schneider's 'Concert in the Garden' has never sounded better than when I listened to it in the gardens of Cordoba and Seville a few years back.

But I do like live music too. I've not done a jazz one since the end of May. Must try harder!

For me, it is the recordings. No matter if the artist is still with us or not.

I am easily distracted, and it doesn't take much to ruin a performance for me. Whether it is the sound, someone acting a fool nearby, or something else, my mind wanders away from the music. I have been to too many shows with drunk loud talkers and cigarette burners than I care to remember. And for the $25-$45 that the local places charge for mainstream acts, I am not one to shell out for it.

The free outdoor concerts are fun, and I try to hit a couple of those each year. The drunk & cigarette quotient goes up quickly with those, however.

I would rather buy a disc or two and listen and listen and listen again.

Being a new dad really cuts down on the social time, too. I find myself hearing all of my jazz via headphones.

The free outdoor concerts are fun, and I try to hit a couple of those each year. The drunk & cigarette quotient goes up quickly with those, however.

Its been a couple of years since I attended, but Minneapolis had that great music and street festival along Nicollet Mall, not far from Dakota, as I recall. I say a "couple of years"; I may be nuts.

I probably see 100+ live shows a year....and have music playing in my car/home/office most of the time I'm around. I really love the live experience!

Mark~

If I could, I would see that many. If I didn't travel and had to rely on Dallas options, I would probably see less than five a year. Work-related and personal trips to New York City are my live music savior.

There's nothing like the live experience when the musicians involved are "on". My limited time availability i.e. weekends only and limited finances means that I see a lot less live than I'd like to. Similarly, my local jazz station's programming is pretty much MOR and there are artists I have to gamble on, previously unheard, based on Downbeat and JazzTimes reviews along with the fan reaction on this forum and the others I participate in on the early hours of the AM. So, the majority of my collection is dead musicians and musicians I saw in the late 60s and 70s when I had more time and disposable income. Am I happy about this state of affairs? No. But unless someone can point me toward some innovative contemporary programming via the Internet, that's the way it will probably stay.

Any suggestions for radio listening will be welcomed.

Peace,

Blue Trane

I try to see plenty of live music but it is mainly small local acts that push my buttons. Affordable door prices and some really good bands! Also playing live with my band has exposed me to a lot of new and exciting acts. I might even end up playing with a few of them in the near future, plus I've been invited to do a short recording for a brilliant looking creative commons licenced project.

I don't see much in the way of live jazz as there isn't much about that does anything for me. Mainly just boppish groups retreading old ground. I did get to see the Sun Ra Arkestra this year as well as a good Django Bates show, but it's mainly been experimental noise and more leftfield rock-ish acts that have done it for me.

I spend a lot of time listening to my MP3 player as I have to travel to and from work, about 2-3 hours commuting a day. Lets me explore music more fully.

I most enjoy sitting in the comfort of my home with no distractions really listening to an LP or a CD. I decided not to put my Ayler box set on my MP3 player soley so I would have to properly sit down and make listening to each of the sets an event. Haven't listened to it as much as I would have but I've certainly enjoyed every second of the experience so far, especially the Cecil Taylor bit!

Last night I listened to a Braxton LP with full concentration and it made me all warm and glowy.

I also think that an underrated way to 'listen' is to simply walk around a city and take in the ambient noise. Some great natural and man made sounds to be found. I suppose that's the noise musician in me talking.