musicians playing an ENTIRE session NOT on their primary instrument

Rooster_Ties

Since "To qualify -- said musician has to play ONE instrument on nearly the entire album," then I'm putting in

Bill Easley - Wind inventions - Sunnyside

Bill plays mostly clarinet on this one, with a little bit of alto sax and flute (but anyway, his main instrument was a tenor sax :))

MG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Newman & Ray Charles - Fathead - Atlantic

Ray Charles in Person - Atlantic

Ray Charles at Newport - Atlantic

Hank crawford plays only baritone sax on all these albums.

I've actually seen an album or two where Ray Charles plays alto sax--I believe for the entire album. I can't track down the info though right now.

Edit to add that it was a tribute to Charlie Parker, iirc

That's "Soul brothers", with Milt Jackson. Ray plays piano on most, if not all, tracks, but gets in some alto playing, too. And Milt gets in some piano playing, when Ray's on alto, and guitar playing. But they're both on their main instrument most of the time.

But you've reminded me about

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz - Impulse

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz Live - Golden Age of Jazz

Ray plays organ throughout these two albums.

MG

That's the one, yep. Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't the whole album. How are the Ray Charles organ albums?

-Jay

• Lee Konitz, TENORLEE
  • John Benson Brooks, FOLK JAZZ U.S.A., with Zoot Sims on alto and Al Cohn on (rhyming) baritone
  • Charles Gayle, JAZZ SOLO PIANO and TIME ZONES
  • Yusef Lateef, keyboards throughout on NOCTURNES
  • Joe Chambers, keyboards on DOUBLE EXPOSURE

Edited by Joe

David Newman & Ray Charles - Fathead - Atlantic

Ray Charles in Person - Atlantic

Ray Charles at Newport - Atlantic

Hank crawford plays only baritone sax on all these albums.

I've actually seen an album or two where Ray Charles plays alto sax--I believe for the entire album. I can't track down the info though right now.

Edit to add that it was a tribute to Charlie Parker, iirc

That's "Soul brothers", with Milt Jackson. Ray plays piano on most, if not all, tracks, but gets in some alto playing, too. And Milt gets in some piano playing, when Ray's on alto, and guitar playing. But they're both on their main instrument most of the time.

But you've reminded me about

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz - Impulse

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz Live - Golden Age of Jazz

Ray plays organ throughout these two albums.

MG

That's the one, yep. Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't the whole album. How are the Ray Charles organ albums?

-Jay

If you're into Ray, the Impulse is very good. He's no Jimmy Smith, though.

If you're into Don Wilkerson, the live one, done in Paris October 1961, has his most incredible solo of all time.

MG

Zoot Sims -- "Zoot Sims Play Four Altos" (ABC-Paramount). Does that count as four sessions? Pretty remarkable album BTW, both for Zoot and for George Handy's writing.

On the previously mentioned John Benson Brooks "Folk Jazz USA," Zoot's alto on (I think) "Sara Jane," is otherworldly in the way he connects with the old-timey, hill-country feel. Believe it or not, it reminds of something Roscoe Mitchell plays on either "Numbers 1&2," "Congliptious," or "Old/Quartet" (all Nessa).

e61026oexhx.jpg

Wayne Shorter Saxophone, Sax (Soprano), Sax (Tenor)

Ron Carter Bass, Cello

Chick Corea Percussion, Drums, Keyboards, Marimba

Dave Holland Guitar (Acoustic), Bass, Guitar

John McLaughlin Guitar, Guitar (12 String), 12-String Bass Guitar

Michelin Prell (apparently Micheline Pelzer http://www.whatmusic.com/info/productinfo....2Fcatalogue.php ) Percussion, Drums, Percussion Arrangement

Edited by JSngry

Big deal -- switching from tenor-to-soprano, trumpet-to-flugel, piano-to-Rhodes or pedal-free organ....

Consider the talent of someone such as Don Thompson, the genius of Toronto (b. Powell River, BC): bass with John Handy and Jay McShann and Jim Hall -- piano with Jim, too; bass and piano and vibes with George Shearing; vibes on any number of sessions because I think he likes playing that most; drums on several recordings (and lots of percussion too); started on trumpet and flugelhorn; is a great composer and arranger; teaches everything at the University level, and is a recording engineer, too. He also (on too-rare occasions) writes about jazz with a clarity that few have achieved.

Too bad y'all haven't paid attention to him. You're so provincial.... :winky:

Big deal -- switching from tenor-to-soprano, trumpet-to-flugel, piano-to-Rhodes or pedal-free organ....

Consider the talent of someone such as Don Thompson, the genius of Toronto (b. Powell River, BC): bass with John Handy and Jay McShann and Jim Hall -- piano with Jim, too; bass and piano and vibes with George Shearing; vibes on any number of sessions because I think he likes playing that most; drums on several recordings (and lots of percussion too); started on trumpet and flugelhorn; is a great composer and arranger; teaches everything at the University level, and is a recording engineer, too. He also (on too-rare occasions) writes about jazz with a clarity that few have achieved.

HELL YEAH!

I can't believe Don was not the first to come to mind. I have many of his recordings and I have seen him play bass and piano and vibes. A former band mate of mine even bought a bass amp from him :cool:

But maybe Don doesn't count - for the purposes of this thread - as "primary instrument" for him is hard to define.

Michelin Prell (apparently Micheline Pelzer http://www.whatmusic.com/info/productinfo....2Fcatalogue.php ) Percussion, Drums, Percussion Arrangement

the album you linked too (Open Sky Unit - Open Sky Unit) has Michel Graillier exclusively on percussion (while i'm at it... i really like that open sky unit album though it's quite different from the other stuff i listen too - most (of the few) fusion records i've heard are very different from it, much less lively/quirky, this is more like "soft machine plus soul=?" can you recommend anything similar?[there are sound samples...] [is this what return to forever is like? havn't heard them]

anyway this album is definitely recommended as is the other j&m pelzer album reissued by whatmusic "song for rene" [which is again quite different and in a genre i don't know much about, spiritual jazz from belgium?]

HELL YEAH!

I can't believe Don was not the first to come to mind. I have many of his recordings and I have seen him play bass and piano and vibes. A former band mate of mine even bought a bass amp from him :cool:

But maybe Don doesn't count - for the purposes of this thread - as "primary instrument" for him is hard to define.

Don't know Don, but you're right in principle. I've kept away from mentioning people who are well known for doubling (trebling etc) on instruments, like David Newman, Plas Johnson, Red Holloway, Frank Wess, Rahsaan etc.

MG

Pat Metheny: New Chatauqua: bass, and fretless bass

Pat Metheny: Secret Story: keyboards, percussion, electronic percussion, bass, Synclavier

does Steve Reich playing organ on "4 Organs" or any other pieces count?

Chick Corea: drums "Confirmation" (duet with Mike Brecker)

Bobby Hutcherson: drums (the last tune on "Oblique")ditto Joe Chambers marimba and vibes

Keith Jarrett: guitar (Restoration Ruin)

Kenny Garrett: piano (title track, "Beyond the Wall)

Wayne Shorter: piano (on "Black Market" from "Weather Report:Live at Montreux 1976" DVD)

Woody Shaw: "Stepping Stones" cornet

Freddie Hubbard: "Empyrean Isles"- cornet

Johnny Hammond: electric piano "CTI All Stars: California Concert"

Thad Jones: french horn (section playing on Grover Washington Jr's "Inner City Blues")

Tony Williams: vocals ("Emergency", "Turn it Over")

Ok, so not full sessions BUT................. except for the Jarrett (which I don't have) these are all cases in my collection where musicians switch off

Oscar Pettiford already mentioned playing cello on "My Little Cello" - other bassists who recorded on cello:

Doug Watkins "Soulnik"

Sam Jones "Cello Again"

Ray Brown "Jazz Cello"

and of course Harry Babasin must be mentioned as the man who first doubled on cello - see "Harry Babasin and the Jazz Pickers" and an ep of cello duets with Pettiford.

Edited by Pete B

the album you linked too (Open Sky Unit - Open Sky Unit) has Michel Graillier exclusively on percussion (while i'm at it... i really like that open sky unit album though it's quite different from the other stuff i listen too - most (of the few) fusion records i've heard are very different from it, much less lively/quirky, this is more like "soft machine plus soul=?" can you recommend anything similar?[there are sound samples...] [is this what return to forever is like? havn't heard them]

anyway this album is definitely recommended as is the other j&m pelzer album reissued by whatmusic "song for rene" [which is again quite different and in a genre i don't know much about, spiritual jazz from belgium?]

Sorry, but I know nothing about the Open Sky album. I found that link while Googling Prell/Pelzer.

In doing that searching, I found out that many people seem to have thought that "Michelin Prell" was Tony Williams performing under a psedonym!

Sonny Stitt - Night letter - Prestige

Sonny Stitt - Turn it on - Prestige

Sonny Stitt & Jack McDuff - Stitt meets Brother Jack - Prestige

on these - and numerous sessions with Gene Ammons, Sonny plays only tenor sax.

Tenor sax was Stitt's primary instrument after 1948.

Really? I've never tried to work out what the balance was between tenor and alto on his records - so bloody many of 'em!

MG

And who can forget this Capitol session where the whole point was that all played instruments they weren't associated with:

TEN CATS AND A MOUSE

Los Angeles, October 13, 1947

Dave Barbour (tp)

Billy May (tb)

Bobby Sherwood (tb)

Paul Weston (cl)

Eddie Miller (as)

Benny Carter (ts)

Dave Cavanaugh (bari)

Red Norvo (p)

Hal Derwin (g)

Frank DeVol (b)

Peggy Lee (dr)

And who can forget this Capitol session where the whole point was that all played instruments they weren't associated with:

TEN CATS AND A MOUSE

Los Angeles, October 13, 1947

Dave Barbour (tp)

Billy May (tb)

Bobby Sherwood (tb)

Paul Weston (cl)

Eddie Miller (as)

Benny Carter (ts)

Dave Cavanaugh (bari)

Red Norvo (p)

Hal Derwin (g)

Frank DeVol (b)