BFT #61

Durium

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just listened to #7 a few more times. it sounds a lot like the hot club of san francisco--could it be them? i have most of their recordings, but not quite all, so i can't be sure. a wonderful group.

No, sorry Alex. It isn't that group. Let me help you a bit. The violin player has played with DR ....... but he's not SG.

Keep swinging

Durium

Alex, I have to correct myself. DR wanted the violin player in his band, due to the fact that SG was in England, but he wasn't allowed to leave the band he was laying at that time. BTW: This recording is nopt from that period - it's a contemporary one !!

How you can have this small correction without starting to pull your hair again !!

Keep swinging

Durium

2 - Disney Theme (When You Wish Upon A Star). No idea who, maybe Frank Morgan.

This track has been finished by Sidewinder.

<snip>

4 - Know the tune, but can't put a name to it. Shit... I know this recording -- I have this. Shades of Hank Jones, maybe, but I'm leaning towards Vince Guiraldi. If I don't have it, I want it! Why doesn't anybody play like this anymore?

Great - it's Vince. now the details please ....

Just a couple of notes. Typically I begin all of my guesses with the disclaimer that I haven't read any of the responses, and/or that they are ear guesses, not researched guesses. I rarely (I can think of only once) ever research the guesses as I'm listening, that would take the fun out of the BFT for me. Pretty sure I'm not alone in that regard.

Here are my shots into the dark - I'm a new member:

1) "Looking Good, But Feeling Bad" - a killer, but no clue to who's playing/singing

2) "When You Wish Upon A Star" - Frank Foster Quartet

3) "Django" - played by Robert Normann, g w/ accompaniment, rec. 1989?

4) ?

5) Hamilton da Holanda Quintet - the name of the tune not detected, yet, Hamilton on bandolim

6) "Anno 1926" played on fingerpicking ukulele by Ton Van Bergeyk, rec. 1976 - Ton's cover version of Oscar Aleman's "O.A.1926"

7) "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" by Leo Slab Quintet, rec. March 2000 - lead guitar by Philippe Guignier, Bernard Anthérieu (rh g), Marc Roger (rh guitar), Gilles Sclaf (b)

8) Sound like Muppet Show - I like it, no clue to who's playing

9) That's my stuff - keep playing that thing! The clarinet could be a creole, but no clue to the name of the band ... probably some French revival NO Band (?)

10) Great band, great soloists - but, again, no clue to the name and origins of the band

11) Ok, Oscar Peterson started out as a boogie player, nice, anyway, only 88 available to tickle ....

12) Ron Carter with some other bass player plus piano and rhtyhm????

13) Late night radio jazz, not my style, anyway, great players ...

14) Bud Powell in a Monk mood???

15) More late night radio jazz, no clue at all ...

16) Great trombone playing, no clue

17) More Monk inspiration included here - Rein de Graaff???

18) Heather Simmons, vocalist, with Ted Barnett, p, Roger Curphey, b, Marc CEcil, dm, Mike Pigott, violin - rec 2007 at the album "I'm Oldfashioned"

19) Short stuff - OPSO, maybe???

Well, well I better have a closer look at the Keepswinging website to get some more clues, right?

Snoozer

Welcome Snoozer - looks like a lot of this was right up your street!

How did you get to this so quickly? Incredible!

MG

Welcome ( or should I say Velkommen ! )

He must be one of those regular visitors of my Keep Swinging blog, doing some research before he shoots and maybe even knows me personal, my interests, my collection, ........... :excited: . I found some answers which learns me that he did his homework before he introduced himself on the list.......

Well let's have a look in his list :blink:

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

1) "Looking Good, But Feeling Bad" - a killer, but no clue to who's playing/singing

4) ?

5) Hamilton da Holanda Quintet - the name of the tune not detected, yet, Hamilton on bandolim

6) "Anno 1926" played on fingerpicking ukulele by Ton Van Bergeyk, rec. 1976 - Ton's cover version of Oscar Aleman's "O.A.1926"

Let's have a look, Snoozer! .....................

You're right, but who recorded this killer diller that way?

That's wrong. Sidewinder already labeled it correct as Frank Morgan. Frank Foster, if he's still active in music, must be in his 80s now.

That's correct. Let's give the details:

3. (2:46)

ROBERT NORMANN - The definitive collection, vol. 5

ROBERT NORMANN Robert Normann g - Håkon Nilsen b - Per Nyhaug dm - John Svendsen vib - Bjørn Helberg rhythm guitar

Django (John Lewis)

Recorded NRK studio in Oslo (Norway) 1st of May 1989

30923.jpg

This Norwegian guitar player is one of those unknown jewels in jazz music, unknown and underrated outside his country. He was one of the first in his country to build and play an electric guitar and was fascinated by the music of Django

Reinhardt. He was a bit a solitary guy, who loved to live hidden in the country - he only traveled and played in Scandinavia. After the war he had to play in studio bands that accompanied all kinds of (Norwegian) pop music, but some of his recordings from that period, like this Django tune, are really enjoyable. His complete collection has now been reissued by his family from the originally recordings and contains, except all his 78rpm records, also his radio and TV work that survived. A great video was released with this TV stuff. You can see some fragments here (scroll down)

Robert Normann - Sweet Sue | Ding-Dong-Dang | Smålåt | Harry Lime Theme

It feels great to introduce you to this Django-of-the-North !!

It is, but what tune does he play? And what to tell about the style of music and about his instrument ....... :rolleyes:

Of course ........ There are but few people who know about this recording and, you, Snoozer, are one of them. You must be an insider :excited: Let's give the details:

6. (2:10)

THE PRACTICALLY COMPLETE TON VAN BERGEYK

Ton Van Bergeyk g

Anno 1926 ( Oscar Aleman)

Recorded ca. 1983

Kopi%20af%20tvb.jpg

This Anno 1926, also titled O.A. 1926, was the first tune, young Oscar Alemán learned to play on his first cavaquinho, when he tried to play for a living in the cafés andstreetcorners in Buenos Aires mid 1920s. He never recorded it, but it survived on several radio transcriptions, when he played this tune, dancing around using his feet to play the rhythm .... Just like he did in the 1920s. You could label it as his signature theme. Ton Van Bergeyk, now the guitar player in Holland's third export article after tulips, and cheese, .... the Dutch Swing College, studied the finger picking guitar and made numerous albums. This is one of his private records, now released on a compilatiopn album titled The Practically Complete Ton Van Bergeyk.

The Fingerpicking Wizard Still Kicking

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

7) "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" by Leo Slab Quintet, rec. March 2000 - lead guitar by Philippe Guignier, Bernard Anthérieu (rh g), Marc Roger (rh guitar), Gilles Sclaf (b)

9) That's my stuff - keep playing that thing! The clarinet could be a creole, but no clue to the name of the band ... probably some French revival NO Band (?)

10) Great band, great soloists - but, again, no clue to the name and origins of the band

11) Ok, Oscar Peterson started out as a boogie player, nice, anyway, only 88 available to tickle ....

Well, well I better have a closer look at the Keepswinging website to get some more clues, right?

Snoozer

Another one that learns me that he's a regular visitor of the Keep Swinging Blog

Let's give the details:

7. (4:53)

LEO SLAB QUINTETTE

Leo Slab v - Philippe Guignier (solo)g - Bernard Antherieu and Marc Roger g - Gilles Schlaf b

A Pretty Girtl Is Like A Melody

Recorded Marseille 23-25th of March, 2000

slab-2a.jpg

A year ago, this French unknown violin player Leo Slab passed away. He was one of those musicians that played during the 1930s and 1940s in the shadow of the Django Reinhardt hype in France. He founded the Swing Quintette de Paris and after the war he played with musicians like Django's brother Joseph. Georg Lankester visited him, just before he passed away, and told his story.

A few years ago he recorded this tune with a group of contemporary French "manouche' musicians.

Leo Slab (1920 - 2007) (by Georg Lankester)

No, it isn't ........ you're not even warm !!

Sorry, it's not a French revival NO band.

correct - this track was already identified by Alex.

Correct, but not complete. This info was already available :excited:

Keep swinging

Durium

13) Late night radio jazz, not my style, anyway, great players ...

15) More late night radio jazz, no clue at all ...

16) Great trombone playing, no clue

18) Heather Simmons, vocalist, with Ted Barnett, p, Roger Curphey, b, Marc CEcil, dm, Mike Pigott, violin - rec 2007 at the album "I'm Oldfashioned"

Snoozer

No, Bud Powell is Bud Powell - Monk is Monk

No, not Rein De Graaff.

Yes, you must be an insider in my blogs .................

18: (2:40)

HEATHER SIMMONS - I'M OLD FASHIONED

Heather Simmons vo - Ted Beament p - Roger Curphey b - Mart Cecil dm - Mike Piggott v

Looking At The World Through Rose-Colered Glasses

Recorded ca 2006

heather-cd.jpg

If you know my taste of jazz music, you should know that I don't like jazz vocalists ...... ( of course I mean their singing - it's not personally :excited: ). There are but few exceptions: Pauline Van Schaik, Fay Claassen ( with her great Chet Baker imitations), Roberta Gambarini and ........ Heather Simmons This young British lady sent me her first album, titled just Heather Simmons - I'm Old Fashioned. It's an album with surprising tracks, swinging tunes and, above all, her fresh pretty voice. She sings the "classics"as if they are new, so, maybe, she might be "old fashioned", her songs are new and fresh as if they were made yesterday. And, she has some great swinging accompanists who know how to swing ...... She deserves further recogniton .............

I'm Old Fashioned

Correct, it's "short stuff", but not the OPSO

Thanks Snoozer for your posts ...... some hard to guess and great tracks have been identified, but there is enough left for the others ..........

Keep swinging

Durium

but there is enough left for the others ..........

A couple of scraps.. :D

As for me, I'm giving up

Christmas diner?

Don't give up ............... I posted some suggestions between the lines ....................... and will post more ............... and more .................

Keep swinging

Durium

4) ?

Let's have a look, Snoozer! .....................

You're right, but who recorded this killer diller that way?

That's wrong. Sidewinder already labeled it correct as Frank Morgan. Frank Foster, if he's still active in music, must be in his 80s now.

That's correct. Let's give the details:

3. (2:46)

ROBERT NORMANN - The definitive collection, vol. 5

ROBERT NORMANN Robert Normann g - Håkon Nilsen b - Per Nyhaug dm - John Svendsen vib - Bjørn Helberg rhythm guitar

Django (John Lewis)

Recorded NRK studio in Oslo (Norway) 1st of May 1989

30923.jpg

This Norwegian guitar player is one of those unknown jewels in jazz music, unknown and underrated outside his country. He was one of the first in his country to build and play an electric guitar and was fascinated by the music of Django

Reinhardt. He was a bit a solitary guy, who loved to live hidden in the country - he only traveled and played in Scandinavia. After the war he had to play in studio bands that accompanied all kinds of (Norwegian) pop music, but some of his recordings from that period, like this Django tune, are really enjoyable. His complete collection has now been reissued by his family from the originally recordings and contains, except all his 78rpm records, also his radio and TV work that survived. A great video was released with this TV stuff. You can see some fragments here (scroll down)

Robert Normann - Sweet Sue | Ding-Dong-Dang | Smålåt | Harry Lime Theme

It feels great to introduce you to this Django-of-the-North !!

It is, but what tune does he play? And what to tell about the style of music and about his instrument ....... :rolleyes:

Of course ........ There are but few people who know about this recording and, you, Snoozer, are one of them. You must be an insider :excited: Let's give the details:

6. (2:10)

THE PRACTICALLY COMPLETE TON VAN BERGEYK

Ton Van Bergeyk g

Anno 1926 ( Oscar Aleman)

Recorded ca. 1983

Kopi%20af%20tvb.jpg

This Anno 1926, also titled O.A. 1926, was the first tune, young Oscar Alemán learned to play on his first cavaquinho, when he tried to play for a living in the cafés andstreetcorners in Buenos Aires mid 1920s. He never recorded it, but it survived on several radio transcriptions, when he played this tune, dancing around using his feet to play the rhythm .... Just like he did in the 1920s. You could label it as his signature theme. Ton Van Bergeyk, now the guitar player in Holland's third export article after tulips, and cheese, .... the Dutch Swing College, studied the finger picking guitar and made numerous albums. This is one of his private records, now released on a compilatiopn album titled The Practically Complete Ton Van Bergeyk.

The Fingerpicking Wizard Still Kicking

Keep swinging

Durium

Ok, I see, I'm an insider, well then I have to add a few details regarding the Ton Van Bergeyk tune. You're correct, Durium, that the tune has been re-issued on a private cdr-collection of some of his recordings - I guess only a handfull of persons have had access to this item. Anyway, as stated in my shot: the recording was made 1976, actually in London at Stefan Grossman's Kicking Mule studio, and it was released on a vinyl LP, an anthology titled "I got Rhythm" containing 6 more fingerpicking goodies by The Dutch Wizard. Regarding Alemán, you're incorrect when stating that Aleman never recorded "O.A. 1926", he did on the Redondel LP titled 'Alemán '72', please check out your own collection or the online discography! - A little more inside info regarding Ton's cover version: Ton told that the hard thing was not to pick the notes, but to hold the ukulele that kept slipping away while trying to apply fingerpicking technique to the tune - I guess Oscar Aleman must have met the same problem while playing the tune on the cavaquinho. - Further, Ton's 'Anno 1926' is a cover version, I said - the original 'copied' from Alemán is on an acetate made c. 1953, a radio transcription only known by few insiders, I guess ... <_<

................ Regarding Alemán, you're incorrect when stating that Aleman never recorded "O.A. 1926", he did on the Redondel LP titled 'Alemán '72', please check out your own collection or the online discography! .................

Redondel%2010508.jpg

You´re right, Snoozer. It´s on Aleman´72. It might be age, too much oliebollen ( a Dutch doughnut ball especially at the end of the year) or glühwein. :rolleyes:

BTW: Thanks for the additional information about Ton.

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Ok, I see, I'm an insider

This must be an insider collaboration job with Durium :lol:

Either that or the rest of us are bozos.. :unsure:

No colboration, nor foreknowledge .... he's just a regular reader of my Keep Swinging blog that asked for the link. :blink:

There are 13 tracks left ......................

Who's next? :excited:

Keep swinging

Durium

I will join on January 12, when my new DSL in the house we moved to will be connected.

Will get a new comp next week - but still so much to work on, moving all the books and LPs .... :rolleyes: noticed this morning I have to move the CD shelves I just filled two inches to the right!

Edited by mikeweil

Apologies that my answers aren’t the usual long-winded drivel of the past. Then again, maybe this is a good thing? :w

The usual disclaimers apply. As I said in the signup thread, this disc will definitely keep (you) swinging! I don’t know the answers to any of these, so these comments are for entertainment purposes! :)

1. Fats Waller or a reasonable facsimile!

2. Rabbit doing “When You Wish Upon a Star?”

3. Nice update of “Django”

4. Vince Guaraldi? Bill Evans? Bass/drums sounds more like a Guaraldi unit.

5. No clue, but I like the energy!

6. Nice tribute to the Hot Club of France sound.

7. I hadn’t even noticed the track changed! Nice segueway!

8. Scott Hamilton and someone similarly like-minded?

9. New version of old Dixieland sound. Very nice. Peanuts Hucko maybe?

10. How ‘bout a little salt peanuts to go with your Dixieland? Cool! Drummer reminds me of either Krupa or Rich.

11. Started off like “Jumpin’ at the Woodside.” Swings like crazy! Art Tatum? Tons o’ notes!

12. “Money Jungle” sounding tribute to that album’s “Solitude” with clarinet thrown in for good measure.

13. Is anyone else hearing various Christmas songs quoted throughout this jumpy little tune?

14. Kinda Monk-sounding to start it off, has some Monk phrasing. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it could be a platypus.

15. Sounds like a nice knockoff of the classic 50’s hardbop quintet style. Nothing wrong with that, and everybody does a good job of swingin’ that mother!

16. Nice two-trombone harmony on “Love is Here to Stay.” Are they paying tribute to JJ and Kai?

17. Sounds like Hampton Hawes “Played Twice” (I always mess up the names of Monk tunes). Just has the nice East-Coast-sounding-West-Coast sound that I always identify with Hawes.

18. WOW! Had I seen this on paper—female singer, violin—I would’ve just passed on it and missed out on this terrific little gem! Can’t wait to find out who this is!

19. Keep swinging, indeed!

Great collection, Durium! Now off to read everyone else’s guesses!

4 - Know the tune, but can't put a name to it. Shit... I know this recording -- I have this. Shades of Hank Jones, maybe, but I'm leaning towards Vince Guiraldi. If I don't have it, I want it! Why doesn't anybody play like this anymore?

Keep swinging

Durium

WOO HOO!!! I GOTS ONE RIGHT!!! :party:

I don't have any details, though.... :w

Keep swinging

Durium

OK, details - this is, somewhat astonishingly, from an album by Vince and Bola Sete, http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:0zfexq8gldte

though Bola Sete must be off having a quiet cough and a drag. It doesn't say who the bass player & drummer are, so I don't know.

MG

Ok – I've finally gotten a chance to post. I've had the BFT on my car stereo and listened thru a couple of times. I'm going to post my impressions. First off -Thanks Durium – It's all good. I enjoyed every track. IMHO there were no clunkers. These tests can be real humblers though- I really have no positive ids.

1.Looking Good But Feeling Bad - Good humorous version.

2.When You Wish Upon A Star – Nice Bird like alto in a smoky mood.

3.Django – Very nice version. They hit the “Gypsy Jazz” feel pretty nicely when they go into tempo and in the out of tempo parts the guitarist states the melody beautifully. Nice chops. guitar

4.People – I get very bugged when I can't id something I think I should. Nice.

5.Don't know what and don't know who. Nice playing all around.

6.Almost sounds like “Grandpa's Spells” in the front but then the changes go elsewhere. Cute.

7.A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody – Very Hot Club like. Latter day Stephen Grapelli is just a guess on my part. Nice record.

8.A nice whimsical little piece. Electric bass on this.

9.Dippermouth – Liked it, but no idea who. The trombonist managed to play a lot of Dutrey's licks but put his own “english” on it.

10.Salt Peanuts - A Dixieland version! Hah! Made me laugh out loud. Dig the quotes from El Manisero (The Peanut Vendor) by the trumpet. A while back – on my previous computer- somebody sent me a Dixieland version of “Giant Steps”. I had the same reaction. I Loved it.

11.The Sheik Of Araby – A stride/boogie rendition. Wild guess – Joe Turner?

12.In My Solitude - Two basses and a piano. Nice.

13.A piano quartet

14.Piano trio playing a blues. Again I'm bugged because I can't id the player. Monkish but not Monk.

15.With A Song In My Heart – Nice playing all around.

16.Our Love Is Here To Stay – Nice trombone duo with rhythm. Good playing all around.

17.Evidence - again Monk but not Monk. Monk is unique. So when a pianist does a Monk tune and goes ….Monkish I'm not thrilled. It's too much of an effection. Then on the other hand why shouldn't a good player do whatever he wants to? So I'm conflicted about that issue.

18.Looking At The World Through Rose Colored Glasses – It's a nice way to see the world.

19. The tag.

Now to read everybody's posts.

Edited by Harold_Z

Keep swinging

Durium

OK, details - this is, somewhat astonishingly, from an album by Vince and Bola Sete, http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:0zfexq8gldte

though Bola Sete must be off having a quiet cough and a drag. It doesn't say who the bass player & drummer are, so I don't know.

MG

Wow! Gonna have to check that one out!

Apologies that my answers aren’t the usual long-winded drivel of the past. Then again, maybe this is a good thing? :w

The usual disclaimers apply. As I said in the signup thread, this disc will definitely keep (you) swinging! I don’t know the answers to any of these, so these comments are for entertainment purposes! :)

5. No clue, but I like the energy!

7. I hadn’t even noticed the track changed! Nice segueway!

10. How ‘bout a little salt peanuts to go with your Dixieland? Cool! Drummer reminds me of either Krupa or Rich.

Thanks Al for your list of thoughts. Let's have a look if you say some wise words.

Fats in stereo - that would be great !! No, it'sn't even a fascimile I guess as they make their own weird interpretation.

No, it isn't Johnny Hodges, but the title is correct. Sidewinder finished this one !!

It is: Snoozer identificated this.

It is, but no Bill Evans .... but we need some more details. <_<

This tune was originally performed this way in the mid 1920s, so it can't be a tribute too ... So, maybe the Hot Club du France so8und isa tribute to ....... oh boy, don't throw shoes :excited:

BTW: This one has been identificated already by Snoozer.

No, it isn't Scott Hamilton.

No, not Peanuts Hucko. You will be surprised. Some list mates say, this is the pure NO sounds - other's say it is a great imitation or a fascinating replay of an old recording.

No, not Krupa or Rich. Some list mates, like you, gave the key to the solution, but didn't open the door ..........

Something Old Something New.

Thanks so far Al. The rest in the next session.

Keep Swinging

Durium

11. Started off like “Jumpin’ at the Woodside.” Swings like crazy! Art Tatum? Tons o’ notes!

12. “Money Jungle” sounding tribute to that album’s “Solitude” with clarinet thrown in for good measure.

13. Is anyone else hearing various Christmas songs quoted throughout this jumpy little tune?

14. Kinda Monk-sounding to start it off, has some Monk phrasing. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it could be a platypus.

15. Sounds like a nice knockoff of the classic 50’s hardbop quintet style. Nothing wrong with that, and everybody does a good job of swingin’ that mother!

16. Nice two-trombone harmony on “Love is Here to Stay.” Are they paying tribute to JJ and Kai?

17. Sounds like Hampton Hawes “Played Twice” (I always mess up the names of Monk tunes). Just has the nice East-Coast-sounding-West-Coast sound that I always identify with Hawes.

18. WOW! Had I seen this on paper—female singer, violin—I would’ve just passed on it and missed out on this terrific little gem! Can’t wait to find out who this is!

19. Keep swinging, indeed!

This one is realy a killer-diller and when you know who made it .......

Half way OP is going to play some stride and then he shows some of his style. This one has been indentified already by Alex.

No, it isn't Charlie Mingus, who played on that track in Ellington's Blue Note album of September 1962, nor a tribute to that, as far as I konw.

Maybe your neighbours next door are still playing their Christmas albums, Al, and you can hear that through the walls :excited: But no kidding, al - you're right. After the intro by the drummer, the piano player starts the theme which sounds like, or has elements of "Gloria in excelsis Deo" a very old psalm. Something Old Something New? Well, to wake you up. The tune or the album has nothing to do with Christmas, but I liked it as a wink to the time of year.

But who are the musicians of this ttrack and, who is the composer of it.

Well, I don't know how this animalsmells, but my record doesn't smell like that. :excited:

I fully agree ....... :rolleyes:

Sure, both players pay tribute to Jay and Kai and the bass player in this band is originally a trombone player too, fascinated by Jay & Kai. ....... the liner notes label him as The Best Trombone Player of this band will be heard on bass.

It's a Monk composition, you're right, but not played by Hampton Hawes.

Isn't that great - I had that same feeling until I listened to this fresh charming swinging voice. Well, Snoozer already identief this charming young lady, who deserves, in my opinion, further recognition.

Thanks al for your suggestions. Some tracks have already been identified, so you can sroll back to read these. Others still need information, so I'm waiting for your second shot :winky:

Keep swinging

Durium