What Music Did You Get For Christmas?

Quite a bit.

First and foremost, an album of Christmas carols by Donald Ryan, whom you may have heard of. There is a plant in York, PA, which still has a steam whistle. Every Christmas at midnight, this guy plays Christmas carols on it for fifteen minutes, and the whole town can hear it. It's quite extraordinary, and comical too! One of a kind in the world!

The new album Beautiful Memory by vocalist Bill Henderson. He's another old (81) black guy with one foot in the grave who can still sing, like Ed Reed. I'm looking forward to that one.

Three boxes:

Sonny Rollins - The Freelance Years

Sonny Rollins - Original Album Classics (five RCA albums)

The Byrds - Original Album Classics (their first five Columbia albums)

Special thanks to my new best friend Alec, who got me the Freelance box; and my other two new best friends, sidewinder, who let us know about the Original Album Classics series, and Chuck, who let us know where to find them cheap!

...and my other two new best friends, sidewinder, who let us know about the Original Album Classics series, and Chuck, who let us know where to find them cheap!

Didn't know about this one...are they sleeved with the original artwork? I always like the RCA Sonny Rollins album covers.

...and my other two new best friends, sidewinder, who let us know about the Original Album Classics series, and Chuck, who let us know where to find them cheap!

Didn't know about this one...are they sleeved with the original artwork? I always like the RCA Sonny Rollins album covers.

Mine is still on its way, but I believe the answer is yes, like mini-LPs.

My Rollins and Byrds boxes arrived yesterday, the day after Christmas, and I can confirm that they are mini-LPs.

Three of the five Rollins discs include bonus tracks.

My Rollins and Byrds boxes arrived yesterday, the day after Christmas, and I can confirm that they are mini-LPs.

Three of the five Rollins discs include bonus tracks.

Cool! Gotta get this set :excited:

I got Tina Brooks-The Waiting Game; The Jazz Icons DVDs-Bill Evans and Dizzy Gillespie. My big catch was Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection featuring 7 of the comic master's flix including Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Lady Eve; Hail The Conquering Hero, The Great McGinty etc. With a 40% off Borders coupon it ran $36 plus sales tax, which I call one hell of a deal. I bought myself a slew of CDs from BMG-heavy on the Hank Mobley-Sextet, Hi Voltage, Dippin', Soul Station- and Stanley Turrentine-The Return of the Prodigal Son & Look Out!; Antal Dorati:Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker; Poco: Gold; Marvin Gaye:Gold; The Summer of Love; The Coleman Hawkins All Stars at Newport; Milt Jackson At The Museum of Modern Art; An Electrifying Evening With The Dizzy Gillespie Quintet-all for S & H only.

I got Tina Brooks-The Waiting Game; The Jazz Icons DVDs-Bill Evans and Dizzy Gillespie. My big catch was Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection featuring 7 of the comic master's flix including Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Lady Eve; Hail The Conquering Hero, The Great McGinty etc. With a 40% off Borders coupon it ran $36 plus sales tax, which I call one hell of a deal. I bought myself a slew of CDs from BMG-heavy on the Hank Mobley-Sextet, Hi Voltage, Dippin', Soul Station- and Stanley Turrentine-The Return of the Prodigal Son & Look Out!; Antal Dorati:Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker; Poco: Gold; Marvin Gaye:Gold; The Summer of Love; The Coleman Hawkins All Stars at Newport; Milt Jackson At The Museum of Modern Art; An Electrifying Evening With The Dizzy Gillespie Quintet-all for S & H only.

That Preston Sturges box set is really great.

my family instituted a one person-one gift rule this year. there was only one thing on my list, and i got it: mosaic's arista recordings of anthony braxton. i've got some good listening ahead. thanks santa.

I was wondering how to pay for a copy of this and a very good friend gave me a copy this afternoon.

I'm totally blown away! :tup

The Genesis 1970-1975 box

Phil Keaggy - Phantasmagorical: The Master and the Musician 2

With the Half-Price Books gift card, I got the following LPs:

George Benson/Jack McDuff (Prestige 2-fer)

The Art of Freddie Hubbard (Atlantic 2-LP comp)

The Crusaders - 1

Wes Montgomery - California Dreamin'

Commercials to Cringe To (some weird LP I found in the spoken word section; it's a parody of 60's commercials, almost like a Stan Freberg record. Pretty funny stuff!)

Haven't decided what I'm going to use my Borders gift card for. Probably Pat Martino's El Hombre, thanks to Sangrey's thread about it!

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse

Maria Schneider - Coming About(remastered, autographed by Maria)

Have since placed a large order at Tower, what with all these announced BN deletions. [Decent prices on the ECM Touchstones and some Palmettos as well]... Currently receiving a separate Tower email confirmation for each shipped disk. Hopefully they will arrive in a small number of packages.