Archeophone Records

papsrus

Stumbled across this site and was wondering if anyone was familiar.

Warning: When I tried to listen to some sound samples at the site my computer went completely bonkers, opening up tabs in rapid succession for apparently every sound sample on the site. I had to do a hard reboot because there was no way to stop the tabs from popping up at light speed.

But, I am curious about these recordings. First stumbled upon them here at amazon.

EDIT: I tried a different sound sample and again, computer went bonkers. So, fair warning. (Maybe I'll try disabling tabs to see what happens ... later).

Edited by papsrus

Archeophone is a label that focuses on early (generally "pre-jazz") recordings. I have the Six Brown Brothers and King Oliver releases. They have excellent transfers and impressive booklets. I've been tempted by some of their other releases, including the "Lost Sounds" set that apparently dovetails with the book (Lost Sounds: Blacks and the Birth of the Recording Industry, 1891-1922).

Stumbled across this site and was wondering if anyone was familiar.

Warning: When I tried to listen to some sound samples at the site my computer went completely bonkers, opening up tabs in rapid succession for apparently every sound sample on the site. I had to do a hard reboot because there was no way to stop the tabs from popping up at light speed.

But, I am curious about these recordings. First stumbled upon them here at amazon.

EDIT: I tried a different sound sample and again, computer went bonkers. So, fair warning. (Maybe I'll try disabling tabs to see what happens ... later).

excellent label; however, some of their releases (the early ones, I think) have horrendous noise reduction and have that gargling, "too much hiss reduction" problem. But they have done some excellent work -

As far as I can tell the Archeophone King Oliver set does not have excessive noise reduction, unlike the Retrieval King Oliver set. I'm told Retrieval applied heavy noise reduction after John R.T. Davies had done the mastering. It's very audible on the Retrieval set.

Edited by J.A.W.

James, I think you and Hans are talking about the same set. . . .

Thanks Lon. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the term "distributed." It implied to me that the audio work was done prior. I could be off on that, though.

I'm listening to the set right now...

The credits say "Produced by Doug Benson and David Sager for 'Off The Record'" and says that of the 37 disc transfers 30 were done by Doug Benson, 2 by Marty Alexander, 1 by Michael Kieffer and 4 by Steven Lasker. Presumably those 7 non-Benson transfers were from discs owned by Alexander, Kieffer and Lasker, who didn't wish to have them out of their own hands.

Further down, "Distributed by Archeophone Records, LLC" is noted.

Websites indicated are www.offtherecord.us and www.archeophone.com.

• 1 year later...

I've listened to a few samples, post-ordering.

I've mixed feelings about the spoken word components: Great to have, fascinating to hear at least once, but I wonder how they'll affect the long-term enjoyability of the set.

They're not that long, so not intrusive, for me. But they don't add a whole lot either, frankly. It may have been better to include a couple of longer interviews at the end of the disc rather than shorter snippets sprinkled among the music. But at the same time, the way it's presented is kind of folksy, and so pleasant, I think.