R.I.P. Freddie Hubbard

Michael Weiss

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freddie,

Let your eye go to the Sun; your life to the wind; by the meritorious acts that you have done, go to heaven, and then [for rebirth] to the earth again; or, resort to the Waters, if you feel at home there; remain in the herbs with the bodies you propose to take.

Rig-Veda X, 16,3

Very upsetting to hear. Saw Freddie at a small place called the Musicians Exchange in South Florida in the mid to late 80's. During his first set he was on fire......tremendous control over his horn.......my brother and I still talk about this set as one of the best live jazz performances we've seen.

Been thinking about Freddie today. First noticed him on Dolphy's first Prestige. A couple of years later Joe Segal had me operate his tape recorder at some Wells St. club to record Freddie and a band I don't remember. I'm sure Joe still has the tapes. Next was his quintet in Madison around 1971 - Junior Cook was in the band. The next deal was at a record store in Boston (I was in charge) and Freddie said "Damn, you have all the old Blue Notes, that costs you money, thanks". This was in his CTI period.

Had a couple of later experiences in a festival setting.

Was impressed with him early on but paid more attention when Lester Bowie told me "Freddie is a mother fucker". Lester wanted him to play Louis in a biopic.

Sad but not unexpected. I saw Freddie live once, with what I think may have been the first performace of the VSOP quintet- Freddie was blowin' the roof off the place that night! Thanks for tons of great music and for being an adventurous spirit- hard bop, Ascension, East broadway Rundown, etc.

Very sad. RIP, Freddie.

Two quotes from Freddie come to mind. The first was from the documentary "Blue Note: A Story of Modern Jazz," where Freddie talked about how cool Alfred Lion was, that Art Blakey invited him back to his house "when we wouldn't invite me!" The other was Freddie describing playing in Blakey's band: "Art had a heavy foot, and he kept it planted in your ass. You had to play."

Guest youmustbe

I haven't read all the posts, but I'm told that Freddie died from a combination of cirhhosis of the liver and lung disease from smokong various things over his lifetime.

What the hell, he made it to 70...didn't need to take out assisted living insurance!!!

Next was his quintet in Madison around 1971 - Junior Cook was in the band.

Also saw him in '71 - my first jazz concert. I think Lenny White was on drums (don't remember who was on bass/piano).

Saw him again at Keystone Korner in '74 and then once more in '77 at the Berkeley Greek with VSOP.

Always been a big fan. RIP, man.

So many great albums, I don't even know where to begin. Open Sesame, Ready for Freddie, Hub-Tones, Blue Spirits, Straight Life, Red Clay.... and that doesn't even touch on the Atlantic stuff that I've never heard.

Remedied that with a trip to Half Price Books, where they had the 2-LP The Art of Freddie Hubbard. Spinning it right now; very nice!

So many great albums, I don't even know where to begin. Open Sesame, Ready for Freddie, Hub-Tones, Blue Spirits, Straight Life, Red Clay.... and that doesn't even touch on the Atlantic stuff that I've never heard.

Remedied that with a trip to Half Price Books, where they had the 2-LP The Art of Freddie Hubbard. Spinning it right now; very nice!

Yeah, thats a nice set - I'm going to bring it out today too. A good way also to sample the 'Songmy' material.

Yeah, thats a nice set - I'm going to bring it out today too. A good way also to sample the 'Songmy' material.

The Atlantics are underrated. 'Sing Me a Song of Songmy' is patchy (it was an experiment which the Hubbard group was only one element) and 'A Soul Experiment' is a waste, but 'Backlash', 'High Blues Pressure' and 'The Black Angel' are all terrific.