R.I.P. Freddie Hubbard

Michael Weiss

(sniff-Snort)

R.I.P. Hubbard.

I'll never forget waiting outside a club, in NYC, for EVER, 'cuz Hub was on one of his usual cola binges.

When we finally get in and wait donkey's years for the show to begin.....Hub, after 1 tune, pulls a temper tantrum

and LEAVES the show!!

He made somee great music. I'll always dig the cat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(sniff-Snort)

R.I.P. Hubbard.

I'll never forget waiting outside a club, in NYC, for EVER, 'cuz Hub was on one of his usual cola binges.

When we finally get in and wait donkey's years for the show to begin.....Hub, after 1 tune, pulls a temper tantrum

and LEAVES the show!!

He made somee great music. I'll always dig the cat

:unsure:

• 1 month later...

What a terrible loss.

My first Hubbard album was a mono LP of "Ready For Freddie", complete with the nose and toes in the dead wax (actually we never looked for that back then). The LP sound was fantastic - just about jumped off the disk. It's still my favorite by him, but he made so many awesome albums.

Just read the excerpts (in a post above) from an interview with Freddie.

It's interesting to hear that "Ready For Freddie" was a favorite session of his, cos I've always felt that it was just about his best.

He says "Louis Armstrong: He had that funny sound. I didn't dig it when I first heard it, that Dixieland. But if you listen to him for a while he had that feeling. He didn't have that execution like Dizzy Gillespie."

Funny sound? Didn't have the execution? What utter bullshit. Amazing, coming from a top trumpeter.

He says "Louis Armstrong: He had that funny sound. I didn't dig it when I first heard it, that Dixieland. But if you listen to him for a while he had that feeling. He didn't have that execution like Dizzy Gillespie."

Funny sound? Didn't have the execution? What utter bullshit. Amazing, coming from a top trumpeter.

perhaps to you!

Very sad the way Friday went out.

What I didn't understand however was why Hub chose to persist with trumpet once his chops were clearly irreparably damaged to the point meaningful playing became impossible ?

Freddie was a very talented composer/arranger/orchestrator and played a little piano. He could have put the horn down and with some work might have resumed contributing to jazz at the highest levels in one or both of those areas. I know , I know , easier said than done , but remember that the chops problems started what , about 15+ years ago ?

Those concerts where he couldn't play a lick just didn't seem right to me. People kept on hoping he'd magically recover ( and I'm sure some attended not even realizing how bad it was ) , and that set the stage for endless disappointments.