Fave Freddie Hubbard sides

ghost of miles

In light of this morning's sad news, I thought it might be good to start a tribute thread to Freddie's recordings, which I'm sure many of us will be revisiting over the next few days. For me, BREAKING POINT, OPEN SESAME, the Keystone live dates, and RED CLAY are some of the records I've found myself spinning a lot throughout the years (and, in the past year, the Mosaic reissue of SUPER BLUE).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say Freddie was one of my favourite trumpet players but there are a few of his albums I like a lot. "Backlash" and "Life flight" are probably my favourites, with "A soul experiment" and "Hubbard & Turrentine in concert" arriving shortly afterwards. "Open sesame" gets a lot of plays here, but because of Tina Brooks.

I think I prefer some of the stuff he's done as a sideman - in particular his work on Charles Earland's "Leaving this planet", Dexter Gordon's "Clubhouse", Mobley's "Turnaround" and Hancock's "Maiden voyage".

MG

I like Ready For Freddie and Hub Tones for the compositions as well as his playing to name a few.

As a side man is great on Speak No Evil but I think my favorite all time session by him is on Herbie's Empyrean Isles.

He is amazing on that. What a loss. RIP Mr. Hubbard.

Edited by WorldB3

Yes that Maiden Voyage was my first real intro to his groove.

A local station played Us3's "Cantaloupe" for years as it's intro and break source ... years ago i remember a shopper at a Borders was asking the clerk for the tune he "kept hearing all the time". I had to step in and let him know that it was a Brit revamp and that he had to get the real deal and showed him the Herbie and Freddie sections.

R.I.P.

as a leader:

Ready For Freddie

Breaking Point

Straight Life

Red Clay

First Light

Skydive (ditched the shitty sounding CBS CD years ago)

Keystone Bop: Friday and Saturday Nights

Keystone Bop: Sunday Night

Born to be Blue

Live at the Northsea Jazz Festival

as a sideman:

Dialogue

Components

Free For All

Ugetsu

True Blue

Speak No Evil

Maiden Voyage

Empyrean Isles

Sugar

CTI Summer Jazz at the Hollywood Bowl

California Concert

Ascension

One Night With Blue Note Preserved

Face to Face

The Trumpet Summit Meets the Oscar Peterson Big 4

VSOP

Tempest in the Colosseum

Live Under the Sky

The Griffith Park Collection Vol 2: In Concert

Edited by CJ Shearn

'Breaking Point' and 'Blue Spirit' are hard to beat.

As are 'Hub Cap', 'Hub Tones' and 'Ready For Freddie'. All great faves. 'Night Of The Cookers' too, in its wild and crazy way.

His sideman work on Sam Rivers 'Contours', Herbie's 'Maiden Voyage' and 'Empyrean Isles' is first rate. Plus every single thing he recorded on Blue Note with Blakey. :tup

I also like most of the Atlantics. Currently spinning 'High Blues Pressure' and that one is under-rated.

Fabulous playing also on Kenny Drew 'Undercurrent' (also just given that one a spin).

Edited by sidewinder

I'm coming down on the sideman side, and Dialogue, particularly Ghetto Lights, and Maiden Voyage were the first two to jump, along with Night of the Cookers. It's the intense drive of the theme of Jodo that kept me coming back to that album over and over.

If we're going to mention Ascension, let's not forget Free Jazz. He always seemed to be around when history was being made. Big ears and an open mind.

Guest Bill Barton

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the often-neglected Outpost on Enja. The version of "You Don't Know What Love Is" on this album is one of my all-time favorite ballad performances by anyone.

And a really off-the-beaten-path personal favorite is the truly bizarre and often downright disturbing Sing Me A Song of Songmy.