Fave Freddie Hubbard sides

ghost of miles

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very surprised that no one has mentioned his outstanding playing on Bluesnik, which is a Jackie McLean lp, but Hubbard had a great set of pipes and was also superb on:

Open Sesame

Hub Cap

Blue Spirits

Roll Call (Hank Mobley Blue Note LP)

Doin' Alright ( Dexter Gordon Blue Note Lp, his playing is outstanding here as well.

Ready For Freddie

First Light (Maybe a bit commercial but I like it)

Red Clay

Polar A/C

Keep Your Soul Together

The Blue Note 1985 reunion DVD with Ron Carter and Herbie and the gang

Empyrean Isles

Any date with Ron Carter backing him up is superb (shows my bias towards Ron, but who cares?)

I will now go fishing in my vast collection and see what obscure dates from him I can find, quite a chore when you have 5000+ to go through, but Hubbard is surely worth it. RIP Freddie, you did us well, will listen to the Ken McIntyre Complete UA recordings as sort of an eulogy for Freddie since he was good friends with Ken and Ken also passed from a heart attack as well.

Edited by Duvivierlover1960

Freddie was one of my absolute favorites, so picking favorite albums is difficult to say the least. Other than the 2 or 3 absolute dreck albums he did for Columbia in the mid 70s, I like them all, but....

Leader:

Ready for Freddie

Keep Your Soul Together (don't let the smoothy trappings of the album cover fool you...this thing burns!)

First Light (beautiful playing, my first jazz album)

Sing a Song of Songmy (who else would have even DONE this?!?!?!)

The mid-80's bluenotes with Woody Shaw

Superblue

Sideman:

Blues and the Abstract Truth (man!!!!) - Oliver Nelson

Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter

Maiden Voyage/Empyrean Isles - Herbie Hancock

VSOP (3 albums) - Herbie Hancock

4x4 (one side) - McCoy Tyner

with Dexter Gordon

with Blakey

you get the picture =:-)

bigtiny

Ready For Freddie, but I'm playing Blue Spirits right now and may have a new favorite.

It's almost hard to believe (and this is true of many of the musicians he played with) that one person did all of that. It's staggering really.

Takin' Off, Speak No Evil, everything he played with Dolphy, The Turnaround, Ugetsu! And so many more that I love, never mind all I like.

The Hub Of Hubbard (MPS) will always be special to me. That stuff is just nuts, and in the best possible way.

I just bought this LP today at the Streetlight Records here in Noe Valley, SF that is closing next month. Anyway, I'm listening now. Badass!

Yeah......I need to stop in there before they close.

NP: "Here to Stay"

Don't remember seeing anyone mention the Blakey Riversides, "Ugetsu" and "Caravan".

Just off the top of my head:

The entirety of the following albums:

Herbie Hancock - MAIDEN VOYAGE (especially "Dolphin Dance") and EMPYREAN ISLES

Wayne Shorter - SPEAK NO EVIL

Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes - HUB-TONES, READY FOR FREDDIE, OPEN SESAME, and BLUE SPIRITS

Tina Brooks - TRUE BLUE

Art Blakey - FREE FOR ALL, UGETSU (especially the title track), and MOSAIC

Freddie Hubbard CTIs - STRAIGHT LIFE and SKY DIVE

Stanley Turrentine - SUGAR

And many, many, MANY more!!! More than enough to last me a lifetime, as I'm discovering right now while spinning the Atlantic 2-LP set THE ART OF FREDDIE HUBBARD.

Keep Your Soul Together

Sunflower

All of his collaborations with Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock

His work with The Jazz Messengers

First Light

Red Clay

Hub Cap

VSOP: The Quintet & Live Under The Sky

Blues and The Abstract Truth

True Blue

On virtually every album he participated on there were, at the least, outstanding moments.

Edited by Blue Trane

The Hub Of Hubbard (MPS) will always be special to me. That stuff is just nuts, and in the best possible way.

I just bought this LP today at the Streetlight Records here in Noe Valley, SF that is closing next month. Anyway, I'm listening now. Badass!

Yeah......I need to stop in there before they close.

NP: "Here to Stay"

Don't remember seeing anyone mention the Blakey Riversides, "Ugetsu" and "Caravan".

Was just in there a little while ago. Everything was 10% off. Great staff, selection and decent prices for rare stuff. Another sad sign of the times. Will miss their 25% off used sales. At least the Market St. one will stay open.

Edited by trane_fanatic

A couple of later recordings on which Freddie shines:

"The Griffith Park Collection 2 - In Concert" (Elektra) recorded in 1982. This double LP contains 6 long tracks on which Freddie absolutely smokes!

"One Night With Blue Note Preserved" (Blue Note) On this 1985 concert, Freddie takes an astounding solo on "Canteloupe Island" with Joe Henderson, Herbie, Ron Carter, & Tony Williams. If you can track down the video release, watching him play it is even more amazing.

"One Night With Blue Note Preserved" (Blue Note) On this 1985 concert, Freddie takes an astounding solo on "Canteloupe Island" with Joe Henderson, Herbie, Ron Carter, & Tony Williams. If you can track down the video release, watching him play it is even more amazing.

You got THAT right!!!

I really like "Above and Beyond" on Metropolitan, recorded live at the Keystone Korner in 1982. Freddie's really on fire on that one (and was quoted as saying "this is my best playing on record"--'course, he might have said that about other records!).

Agreed - I'd forgotten about that record until the Randy Brecker piece reminded me. Played it last night and Freddie is scary!

I really like "Above and Beyond" on Metropolitan, recorded live at the Keystone Korner in 1982. Freddie's really on fire on that one (and was quoted as saying "this is my best playing on record"--'course, he might have said that about other records!).

Agreed - I'd forgotten about that record until the Randy Brecker piece reminded me. Played it last night and Freddie is scary!

That version of Softly as in a Morning Sunrise is unreal.

Not familiar with this, but it turns out that this album -- and the Keystones -- are on eMusic, so I'll be checking them out today. ^_^

You've got THAT right....I just listened to it last night for the first time this year. Geez...I'd forgotten how nasty this is. I wonder if they recorded the second set???

bigtiny