Fave Freddie Hubbard sides

ghost of miles

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His brief solo on that Billy Joel tune is a worthy addition to the list of jazz musicians showing up in unlikely pop places.

Someone who attended that session told a story that Freddie indulged heavily in both weed and alcohol at the studio, then asked to hear the tape, and blew that solo perfectly on a first try.

His brief solo on that Billy Joel tune is a worthy addition to the list of jazz musicians showing up in unlikely pop places.

Someone who attended that session told a story that Freddie indulged heavily in both weed and alcohol at the studio, then asked to hear the tape, and blew that solo perfectly on a first try.

I'd probably need heavy doses of weed and alcohol too if I was doing a Billy Joel session. Freddie's solo on that track is the highlight of Joel's career, IMOSHO.

Among many favorites is the 20 minute live version of Red Clay at the end of the reissue of the album. Full of energy and humor, I remember listening to that over and over once on a tiring drive through the Midwest, I needed the charge that comes from live Freddie.