Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh well, no good me looking then.

Thanks SS.

MG

Hello everybody.

I'm french, and new on Organisssimo, and don't have a big collection of Jazz records (oh no), ... but you'll surely be happy to know that I made a wiki page this week-end about the Classics Rhythm and blues series.

It's here.

Infortunately, all of you have to read french, but I'll be sure that the complete discography will be useful. It's a work I made this week, after having realised there was no web site, as you all know.

The conclusion about this serie, is that the distributor is again "dead". (Nocturne in this case) since Dec 2008.

But some new CD's have appeared early 2009.

I do advise you to buy Soul bag, the french revue, to know more... and actually, they do have a (very cool) web site.

For my part, I will not be surprised that Frémeaux & associés keep the following of the distribution.

Cheers ! ;)

well, I just went to that page and did Google Translation, which told me the following:

"yes it is. Why not? 1928-1939. Jazz is not. Blues on occassion. Why doth the maiden dance at midnight with the well-hung horse? T. Bone Walker said that his left arm was based in Memphis. Three times he tried to call Joe Turner but Eddie Durham was born in Oklahoma."

though I would question the historical accuracy of your sixth sentence, I congratulate you on your work.

Edited by AllenLowe

I found several Slim Gaillard Classics discs last week used, and I must say I enjoyed them alot. Especially the 1945 disc, which features a session with Lucky Thompson and Teddy Edwards, plus a bounty of Dodo Marmarosa. Maybe lighthearted and humorous, as opposed to the usual seriousness of jazz, but still interesting music.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jazz Record Center had a copy of Russell Jacquet, 1945-49, which I immediately snapped up. It's a nice one, especially the last two sessions from 1948-49. The 1948 session is on the Sensation label and is not that well recorded, but there is some superb Leo Parker (along with Sonny Stitt, J.J. Johnson and Sir Charles Thompson) on this four title session. The final session on King is a swinging nonet, with Bumps Meyers, Joe Newman, Henry Coker, Gerald Wiggins and Chico Hamilton. Love those late 1940s bebop sessions.

• 1 month later...

As with the Jazz Record Center, you just have to keep your eyes open in every possible shop that may carry them. The bulk of my Classics were purchased for $5. And I kick myself when I think of the dozens I didn't buy because I just didn't know how good they are.

Also, buy every one you see, whether you like the artist or not. They can be traded or sold for other titles. I just picked up 9 last week.

The great elusive ones? The Benny Carter 1948-1952 (1297). I know it will be the weakest of the Carter series, but I still want it. After that, the Lil Hardin Armstrong. That shows up occasionally, and next time it will be mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, no good me looking then.

Thanks SS.

MG

Hello everybody.

I'm french, and new on Organisssimo, and don't have a big collection of Jazz records (oh no), ... but you'll surely be happy to know that I made a wiki page this week-end about the Classics Rhythm and blues series.

It's here.

Infortunately, all of you have to read french, but I'll be sure that the complete discography will be useful. It's a work I made this week, after having realised there was no web site, as you all know.

The conclusion about this serie, is that the distributor is again "dead". (Nocturne in this case) since Dec 2008.

But some new CD's have appeared early 2009.

Hello Hector

I'am french too and I have the complete collection of the Chronological from 1 to 1464. If you have news about getting the last numbers 1465 to 1469 announced but never published I guess ..

thank you

I do advise you to buy Soul bag, the french revue, to know more... and actually, they do have a (very cool) web site.

For my part, I will not be surprised that Frémeaux & associés keep the following of the distribution.

Cheers ! ;)

Hello Hector

I'am french too and I have the complete collection of the Chronological from 1 to 1464. If you have news about getting the last numbers 1465 to 1469 announced but never published I guess ..

thank you

• 4 months later...

I would think that numerous copyright and licensing issues would preclude that.

Although this may have been previously noted (no time to wade through the entire thread), note that the series was actually entitled "Chronogical Classics" not "Chronological Classics." Don't ask me what "chronogical" is.

The series was a mixed bag. It was quite well intentioned and wide in scope but had rather uneven production values (even within a singe cd) depending upon what source material the producers were able to find or chose to use.

The series was a mixed bag. It was quite well intentioned and wide in scope but had rather uneven production values (even within a singe cd) depending upon what source material the producers were able to find or chose to use.

What do you expect? They did do a good job of presenting chronoLOgical runs of commercially released master takes, and as you will realize sourcing material from obscure 40s indie labels (that HARDLY ANY other reissue label - vinyl or CD - had ever bothered to resurrect) can be a hassle if mint copies are inaccessible. So for what they attempted to do I found it quite OK the way they handled these items. Ultra-hi-fi fetichists need to look elsewhere with sources from the 78rpm indie label era anyway.

Though I have often refrained from buying these CDs as in all too many cases I found I already had two thirds or more of the material elsewhere (on records I do NOT see fit to part with ;)) I do regret now not having taken the plunge quite a bit more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Duplications are very rare, but occurred sometimes with singers who had made their first sides under some other leader's name. Sarah Vaughan is one example that comes to mind. Her tracks with Dizzy Gillespie, John Kirby, Georgie Auld et cetera occur both on the CDs under her name and on those under the respective leaders' names. But in general it is not something you have to worry about; it is basically each artist's leader sessions that are presented, plus sometimes sessions that were made under the leadership of someone who doesn't have enough sessions to fill a CD of his own.