Chronological Classics

Swinging Swede

In case anybody wonders: Classics have been on (unpleasant) temporary hold for some time due to a distribution problem that should be resolved within weeks. The last issued was 1379; Stan Getz.

Incidentally, Classics' Blues & Rhythm-series (5000 ff.) is not affected at all.

How do I know ? I have written all liner-notes for the (Jazz-series) since 1989...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Chronogical" - "Chronological" - I've been asked many times before... Nobody seemed to believe it - but that's how it really went: When the French producer sketched some hasty drafts of how the design MIGHT look like (back in 1989 !), he erroneously wrote chronogical instead of chronological.

The graphic lay-outer - obviously far from being proficient in English - chose that ill-spelt version for the very mere reason that it fit with the given font-size above the cameo-pix on the covers !

Since the first 5 issues of Classics (500-504) were rushed into production before Christmas 1989 nobody noticed the typo in time; at least not before the booklets/inlays had already been printed...

Excellent news! I was fearing the worst...

I remember the excitement when the first Classics discs appeared in record stores back in 1989. Suddenly one could get the complete recordings of 78 era artists instead of just compilations. I've picked up many Classics discs through the years, and am glad that the series will continue.

But how can a distribution problem affect the jazz series, and not the Blues & Rhythm series?

While I'm at it; any new big band names you're going to start releasing? I'm thinking of Jimmy Dorsey especially, but there are so many others I would like to see: Les Brown, Casa Loma, Jan Savitt, Van Alexander, Teddy Powell, et cetera, et cetera. Later bands like Elliot Lawrence as well, btw.

And let me echo EKE's welcome to the board. This is a very nice place with a lot of knowledgeable people, and the earlier eras of jazz covered by Classics get their fair share of the discussions here.

How do I know ? I have written all liner-notes for the (Jazz-series) since 1989...

Then you must be Anatol Schenker!

A very heart welcome here. And thanks for filling us on the series developments. Looking forward to see the next batch of Chronogical Classics soon!

This is a fantastic collection :rolleyes:

But how can a distribution problem affect the jazz series, and not the Blues & Rhythm series?

If you check any of the more recent CDs from the Blues & Rhythm-series (to be precise: Since issue 5114; Percy Mayfield) you will note on the back-inlay that the distributor is not the same as for the Classics Jazz-series.

While I'm at it; any new big band names you're going to start releasing? I'm thinking of Jimmy Dorsey especially, but there are so many others I would like to see: Les Brown, Casa Loma, Jan Savitt, Van Alexander, Teddy Powell, et cetera, et cetera. Later bands like Elliot Lawrence as well, btw.

Thank you kindly for the welcome suggestions - most of which are already on our "to do" list ! Although there is a rough schedule for the next 100+ issues, please understand that I cannot go into details before the pending problems are solved.

Thank you kindly for the welcome suggestions - most of which are already on our "to do" list ! Although there is a rough schedule for the next 100+ issues, please understand that I cannot go into details before the pending problems are solved.

Great news... we appreciate any info that you can offer! I'm especially grateful for the Georgie Aulds you guys have put out in the past year--will be doing a big-band show devoted to him in a couple of months that will utilize all three (four?) of the Auld entries in the CC series.

Anatol, it is quite an honor to have you here and to finally solve the riddle of the "chronogical" spelling. This has been debate on these board before. Thanks to your wonderful efforts, I have been able to listen to much music that I would not otherwise have been able to.

Jaffa, any idea if Classics is going to do an updated encore of the wonderful catalogue that listed all of their first 500 releases? That catalogue went up to nr. 1024 and was released several years ago.

I assume you allude to the 56 p. catalogue from 1998 that listed issues up to 1004. Basically, this was meant to "celebrate" the 500th CD issued. After 5 years on the market, Classics had issued a modest "best of" sampler and another 5 years later, a more structured Double-CD (plus an included 3rd CD correcting goofs and errors).

Logically, there are plans to do something once the 1000th Classics-CD is due. Please don't ask we whether it's going to be an updated catalogue of some sorts - or anything else - I just don't know. But I promise to let this forum know as soon as I know more.

the riddle of the "chronogical" spelling. This has been debate on these board before.

Yes, I had noticed discussions on this topic here before.

Actually, I got sort of annoyed by rather nasty if not rude remarks (albeit not in this forum !) about then Frenchmen's subborn inability to spell English properly and similar bla bla.

Those of you who own the Classics double/triple CD issued in 1999 know the sketch on the back-cover of the booklet which already pretty much "explains" the typographical error.

A double welcome to the club then :tup:tup

Triple welcome would be alright with me! Great to have you on the board!

May I ask if further volumes of Gerald Wilson and Lucky Thompson are planned?

And is there any coordination with other series on other labels? Or do you simply avoid overlaps?

Ah, the B&R series already has a new distributor! (And the jazz series will have a different one, I suppose?)

Glad to hear that big bands of that kind already are on the “to do” list! There were many white big bands that weren't as hugely successful as Goodman, Shaw and Dorsey, but still belonged to the scene of the day and recorded regularly, so it will be interesting to hear their output. Very little of it has been available for a long time, so I think Classics' concept will come in very handy. I understand that you can’t go into details prematurely. But boy – would I like to see that 100+ list! ^_^

And is there any coordination with other series on other labels? Or do you simply avoid overlaps?

Thanks for asking: I also wish there were further issues by either Lucky Thompson or Gerald Wilson real soon !

But: Lucky T. only has two more sessions (under his name) from 1949/50 before going into "the LP era". And only about 16 tracks from Gerald W. are left to be issued from 78's.

There are plans "in the pipeline" for further CDs by Thompson and Wilson - but don't ask me when they are issued: But they will be !!!

It's not quite clear to me what you mean by asking about "overlaps with other series". Do you mean labels from Spain/Andorra or (PROPERly produced) Box-Sets from the U.K. ? Either way: I couldn't (and wouldn't want to) answer your question since I am neither the owner of Classics nor in charge of production !

There were many white big bands that weren't as hugely successful as Goodman, Shaw and Dorsey, but still belonged to the scene of the day and recorded regularly, so it will be interesting to hear their output. Very little of it has been available for a long time...

"Now you're talking my language" (Chu Berry, March 23, 1937) - I totally agree with you ! But please bear in mind that Classics has to be profitable, too. Shaw, Goodman, Woody etc. sells although most/all has been issued often before on LPs and CDs. However, I think it is tough selling an extended series of - let's say Les Brown CDs - no matter how desirable they are for a number of fans that read this forum ^_^ - and myself !!

It's not quite clear to me what you mean by asking about "overlaps with other series". Do you mean labels from Spain/Andorra or (PROPERly produced) Box-Sets from the U.K. ? Either way: I couldn't (and wouldn't want to) answer your question since I am neither the owner of Classics nor in charge of production !

I guess Mike was referring to Neatwork.

Does anyone know the date of the next Erroll Garner release on Classics ?

Vol. 14 is 1370: Have you got it already ? Vol. 15 should be out before long; most likely as 1391. It was originally scheduled to be part of the Nov. 2004-batch which had to be postponed for the reasons I mentioned the other day in this string.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Jaffa

Thanks for asking: I also wish there were further issues by either Lucky Thompson or Gerald Wilson real soon !

But: Lucky T. only has two more sessions (under his name) from 1949/50 before going into "the LP era". And only about 16 tracks from Gerald W. are left to be issued from 78's.

There are plans "in the pipeline" for further CDs by Thompson and Wilson - but don't ask me when they are issued: But they will be !!!

I'd gladly take a Wilson CD with only 16 tracks!

And there should be some small group Thompson recordings with obscure leaders to fill the CD, e.g. the Lyle Griffin sessions from 1946, or sessions where Lucky lead the instrumental group behind a singer, e.g. Danny "Boy" Cobb (1950).

But anything you will do is welcome to me.

regarding the "other" labels - I was referring less to Neatwork, which concentrates on the alternates the Classics leave off, but any British or Spanish label that happens to reissue the same artists at around the same time. But I guess they all follow their own paths, so don't bother to answer. When in doubt, buy the Classics reissues, is my philosophy. Great work, and nice liners, BTW!

• 2 months later...