Chronological Classics

Swinging Swede

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No recent releases from the Chronogical Classics in the Paris stores yet.

On the other hand, the Classics Blues & Rhythm Series keeps releasing new CDs.

Hope Jaffa will update his posts with more precise informations!

Brownie and Roger,

I wish I had more precise information myself - but I am afraid to say that I don't have any news. I am waiting for further details from the parties involved and, as promised, I will keep the list informed as soon as there is anything to report !

Edited by Jaffa

There is a recent thread about Classics on the Big Band Talk forum. Here is a worrying quote from someone with inside knowledge.

"One of the label's owners has expressed his desire to keep the label going but are partnership owns the label and not all partners are of like mind.

The partner who wants to keep the label going is, fortunately, the person behind the Classics R&B label and he is the sole owner of that label."

I certainly hope it works out. I would hate for Charlie Barnet to end at 1940 and Woody Herman at 1941 to take just a couple of examples.

There is a recent thread about Classics on the Big Band Talk forum. Here is a worrying quote from someone with inside knowledge.

"One of the label's owners has expressed his desire to keep the label going but are partnership owns the label and not all partners are of like mind.

The partner who wants to keep the label going is, fortunately, the person behind the Classics R&B label and he is the sole owner of that label."

Yes, that's how it is. The info found on the other board is more or less correct, too. Please understand that I cannot and will not comment details as the situation is intricate and complex since more than just the two parties mentioned on the bigband-era-board are involved. Talks are on-going and let me just say that it is NOT correct to assume at this point that (Jazz)-Classics will NOT go on !

Again: I will let this forum know as soon as I know myself. Actually, speculating about who, what, when might even be contraproductive. Please don't get me wrong on that remark but I'm afraid it is so since this forum is public, after all.

There were many white big bands that weren't as hugely successful as Goodman, Shaw and Dorsey, but still belonged to the scene of the day and recorded regularly, so it will be interesting to hear their output. Very little of it has been available for a long time...

"Now you're talking my language" (Chu Berry, March 23, 1937) - I totally agree with you ! But please bear in mind that Classics has to be profitable, too. Shaw, Goodman, Woody etc. sells although most/all has been issued often before on LPs and CDs. However, I think it is tough selling an extended series of - let's say Les Brown CDs - no matter how desirable they are for a number of fans that read this forum ^_^ - and myself !!

Here's hoping, very much, that the series continues... and I'd definitely snap up any Jimmy Dorsey titles that come out, as his Decca material is quite hard to find on CD outside of the now OOP CONTRASTS compilation.

Just received an e-mail from jazzscript.co.uk that Classics is about to make a large reprint of backlisted titles. This would be great news if true as a lot of the older reissues have been unavailable anywhere (online at least) for a few years now.

Just received an E-Mail from Worlds Records.They believe that Classics has departed from the jazz reissue business.Anyone receive a similiar mailing ?

This is simply NOT TRUE - and a totally unconfirmed rumor !

I talked to the producer/co-owner of the label a few days ago and things look much brighter than they did a few months ago.

Actually, chances are very good that the next issues will come out within two to four months - and out-of-print CD's are gradually being re-pressed !

Although I repeat myself for the zillionth time - I keep this board informed based on FACTS - not hear-say.

Anatol Schenker

Edited by Jaffa

• 1 month later...

I have just spoken to the owner of Classics and I am pleased to announce the good news on this forum - as promised:

The next CDs (Classics 1380 to 1384) will be released in July !

Monthly production of 5 CDs finally picks up again after a nine month break.

Please spread the news to stop rumors that Classics went out of business.