• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These have begun to appear on eMusic in the US.

In that format? Or with slightly different sleeves under the label name 'Complete Jazz Series' like this:

51+zNOvpmCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There are 572 at present on UK e-music. I'd still like to know if they have the blessing of Classics.

Edit: Just looked and the ones you mention are also there under the label "Chronological Classics / Abeille Musique". Which poses big questions about the Complete Jazz Series!!!!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

"I also picked up a catalogue the other day which is a gold mine in itself - full track list for discs, personel, indications of vocal tracks etc. If you are trying to follow the work of a particular artist its a marvellous way of getting a full track listing." (From the second post in this thread, from the old BNBB.)

Bev, was this available as a PDF file, or only a paper catalog?

"I also picked up a catalogue the other day which is a gold mine in itself - full track list for discs, personel, indications of vocal tracks etc. If you are trying to follow the work of a particular artist its a marvellous way of getting a full track listing." (From the second post in this thread, from the old BNBB.)

Bev, was this available as a PDF file, or only a paper catalog?

Only paper, I'm afraid.

JCC are up to 179 already on e-music. Looks like they are going for it big time.

I'm especially pleased to see some of the Fats Wallers. I have a gap between a JSP set and the first of three successive RCA sets that I've been waiting to fill, without buying another JSP with huge overlaps.

The Classics MP3s are officially starting to explode. Yesterday, I noticed a bunch on Amazon for only $5.99 each. I typed "Chronological Classics" into a search and got 482 albums. 24 hours later, I did it again, and just got 604. Same for Emusic. Yesterday they had 15 Classics discs, today, 179. I live on Emusic but the $5.99 price tag is almost impossible to pass up on Amazon. This can get ugly (for my bank account),

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

The Classics MP3s are officially starting to explode. Yesterday, I noticed a bunch on Amazon for only $5.99 each. I typed "Chronological Classics" into a search and got 482 albums. 24 hours later, I did it again, and just got 604. Same for Emusic. Yesterday they had 15 Classics discs, today, 179. I live on Emusic but the $5.99 price tag is almost impossible to pass up on Amazon. This can get ugly (for my bank account),

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

$5.99 on amazon will work out to be cheaper than eMusic for most albums.

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Thanks for the tip about Amazon. I downloaded the McKinney's Cotton Pickers disk. As for which is more/less expensive: If you're on the 100 download for $25 plan at eMusic, and each CC has 20 - 25 tracks, they're roughly the same in price. The difference is that eMusic only allows you the 100 downloads, so you couldn't download other titles. From that perspective, it's better to download via Amazon, tho costlier, since your only limit is your self-restraint. This then leaves the 100 eMusic downloads for other uses.

And just like that, Emusic jumped from 179 Classics titles to 477 in the span of one afternoon! You make a good point, about the Amazon vs. Emusic dilemma, Mjzee. I'm going to Emusic to cherry pick discs where I only need a handful of tracks to complete my collection (I need four from the Chu Berry, six from a Benny Goodman, etc.). And if I need a complete disc, it's over to Amazon. Either way, after so many years of seeing ridiculous prices for this series on Amazon, I'm glad to be able to scoop them up in bulk like this. Back to browsing and making lists...

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Somebody mentioned abeillemusique.com on another thread and I'm wondering if they really have the back catalog and how much it would be to get US delivery. Trying the Google translator on the site I got ridiculous US dollar shipping charges in parentheses following reasonable euro figures. I did find that three of the Mary Lou Williams classics were "Out of Date" (Indisponible ce jour) - presumably that's not in stock. Yeah, more translating gets me to the conclusion that those three are not gettable - the button is "add to my alerts". I think I'll stop worrying about the shipping and settle for downloads.

Somebody mentioned abeillemusique.com on another thread and I'm wondering if they really have the back catalog and how much it would be to get US delivery. Trying the Google translator on the site I got ridiculous US dollar shipping charges in parentheses following reasonable euro figures. I did find that three of the Mary Lou Williams classics were "Out of Date" (Indisponible ce jour) - presumably that's not in stock. Yeah, more translating gets me to the conclusion that those three are not gettable - the button is "add to my alerts". I think I'll stop worrying about the shipping and settle for downloads.

I confirm that 'indisponible ce jour' means that it out of stock or possibly OOP in that case.

Yes, "indisponible ce jour" probably means that they had it once, hence it's still listed on the website, but it's unlikely that they'll get it again (Amazon states "4-6 weeks" in such cases, I guess...)

I think Abeille have all that's currently in print on CD. That shows how much is NOT in print these days, and it seems rather unlikely that this situation will change to the better...

Has anyone gotten any news yet btw, if these downloads are legit and in fact being offered either by the label themselves or by someone actually holding a license?

I've not started paying anything for crappy MP3 though I guess with many of these transfers, it would indeed not be a big loss... but there are still enough actual CDs to be found that I've never yet felt a need to explore what i-music or e-music or who/whatever they are actually have on offer... the weirdest thing is that these offerings are different depending on where you live, and I'm quite sure their offerings in Switzerland are pretty modest anyway... at least that was the case when I last browsed the apple store years ago...

Pretty sure the eMusic are legit, label listed as Chronological Classics / Abeille Musique. I believe a Chronological Classics principal alluded to this earlier in this thread. I've been digitizing my CDs anyway, downloads of something that's fifty bucks on Amazon are well worth 4-6 bucks to me. I will download the Mary Low Williams Chronological tracks that I don't already have on Asch Recordings, Zodiac Suite or Jazz in Paris.

Just to explain my scepticism, as I don't regularly take part in those MP3 downloads threads and debates... I'm still hoping that some day the labels will offer lossless downloads (preferredly the majors who hold all that material in the case of many of the labels included in the Chrono series and other such reissues - preferredly that is, in cases where any kinds of "masters" still exist).

I mean, for a lossless 7CD set of Bessie Smith's music (of which I own nothing so far, alas) in lossless format plus a nice PDF with all the documentation (do you get any kind of documentation with e-music or Amazon MP3s? I'd not buy Classics downloads without that, I think! I'm anal, I know...) - I'd be willing to pay a far bit more than 40$ for that, I think. But there's no one offering that, so...

I mean, for a lossless 7CD set of Bessie Smith's music (of which I own nothing so far, alas) in lossless format plus a nice PDF with all the documentation (do you get any kind of documentation with e-music or Amazon MP3s? I'd not buy Classics downloads without that, I think! I'm anal, I know...) - I'd be willing to pay a far bit more than 40$ for that, I think. But there's no one offering that, so...

As a sucker for liner notes, discographical info and artwork, I absolutely agree with you, ubu!

As a sucker for liner notes, discographical info and artwork, I absolutely agree with you, ubu!

I think they're "nice to haves," but honestly, I rarely dig out my CD covers and read them. Even when I bought Blue Note LPs, I found I usually just skimmed the liner notes. I do like discographical info, but can often find it on the Net (jazzdisco.org and the like). Similar for artwork.