Pat Martino - EL HOMBRE

JSngry

I've always dug "El Hombre," and I love Trudy Pitts' work so much that I started a thread on her once in the B-3 section. Not to be missed is the Martino/Pitts Legend of Acid Jazz compilation. It stands as probably my favorite in the entire series of LOAJ. I've got "East" and "Strings" and "Desperado" and all that, but "El Hombre" is the best, I think.

Here it is:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=32805

Edited by connoisseur series500

Is it my imagination (or lack of it?), but does Martino have a stronger lower register tone than most of his "ilk"? What is that, heavier gauge strings?

Maybe the best time I saw him was at Columbia University, right before "Stone Blue" came out. It was billed as a reunion of his Joyous Lake band, but it was more like a reunion of his Philly band. IIRC, the band was Tyrone Brown and Sherman Ferguson, plus some piano player. Around 2 hours of solid, churning, thick jazz; just wonderful music. My point is, Pat's playing was so low that I swear, I wasn't hearing his notes, I was just feeling them in my stomach.

do u guys think when pat martino re-learned the guitar, his brain re-learned it in some out of control super-fast high speed way which gave him his out of control speed and phrasing like when i saw him in 03 or 04 with his B3 group, or was he playing like that before?

I wasn't there in 03/04, but listen to his sixties stuff with Gator Tail Jackson. He was really chopsy then.

MG

Is it my imagination (or lack of it?), but does Martino have a stronger lower register tone than most of his "ilk"? What is that, heavier gauge strings?

Maybe the best time I saw him was at Columbia University, right before "Stone Blue" came out. It was billed as a reunion of his Joyous Lake band, but it was more like a reunion of his Philly band. IIRC, the band was Tyrone Brown and Sherman Ferguson, plus some piano player. Around 2 hours of solid, churning, thick jazz; just wonderful music. My point is, Pat's playing was so low that I swear, I wasn't hearing his notes, I was just feeling them in my stomach.

Doesn't Martino also play electric 12-string on DESPERADO and (parts of) the Prestige session he made with Eric Kloss and the Corea / Holland / DeJohnette rhtym section?

Doesn't Martino also play electric 12-string on DESPERADO and (parts of) the Prestige session he made with Eric Kloss and the Corea / Holland / DeJohnette rhtym section?

Yes. I don't like the sound he got on 12-string on 'Desperado'.