Japanese 10" Blue Note LPs

Leeway

Toshiba EMI put out a series of 10" LPs of many Blue Note titles. Can anyone provide any discographical information about these. When were they issued? How many titles in the series? Sound quality? Is there a site which discusses them? And anything else that might be of interest. Thanks!

They issued about 50 out of a possible 70 from the 10" 5000 series. BLP 5001-5070. I've lost track of when they came out..'99 I think.

Originally sold for 3,000 yen.Tanno still has few.

Discographical info can be had at any site that lists the 5000 series. Here is one

I think they have great sound considering the year they were recorded.

High quality vinyl(dead quiet..not like the originals :D ) and beautiful high gloss covers. Insert inside lists the titles they issued.

I see them on ebay going from $15-50. Just do not bid on the ones I want. :P I have 15 of them and wish I had more.

ebay

ebay

Edited by wolff

Hmmm...I could swear that these were 10" things I saw. Maybe my chronolgy's messed up, or maybe the Garner was a 12", and the Kelley was a 10". In fact, I'm certain about the Kelley, and I'm certain I saw the Garner (and wasn't that an album of previously unreleased material never originally on BN) in the 80s, so maybe I'm adding 2 and 2 and getting 6, allowing for inflation and for objects in the rear-view mind being closer than they appear......

I think they have great sound considering the year they were recorded.

High quality vinyl(dead quiet..not like the originals :D ) and beautiful high gloss covers. Insert inside lists the titles they issued.

I see them on ebay going from $15-50. Just do not bid on the ones I want. :P I have 15 of them and wish I had more.

ebay

ebay

I've managed to acquire about 20 of these and am very pleased with the quality. As you know, a good number of these are now in the 'hard-to-find' category so pick 'em up while you can. The Silver is an excellent one.....and as for that Gil Melle -- I've got Vol. 3 but not the one you're after, so I look forward to adding it to the stax :P (just kidding). Good luck with it!! When you get it, please post a review and let us know what you think.

Leeway, Here's another listing:

TOJJ-5002: Thelonious Monk, Genius Of Modern Music

TOJJ-5003: Bud Powell, The Amazing Bud Powell

TOJJ-5004: Fats Navarro Memorial Album

TOJJ-5006: James Moody and His Modernists with Candido

TOJJ-5009: Thelonious Monk, Genius Of Modern Music, Volume 2

TOJJ-5011: Milt Jackson, Wizard Of The Vibes

TOJJ-5012: Howard McGhee's All-Stars and The McGhee-Navarro Boptet

TOJJ-5013: Miles Davis, Young Man with a Horn

TOJJ-5018: Horace Silver, Introducing the Horace Silver Trio

TOJJ-5020: Gil Melle, Quintet/Sextet

TOJJ-5021: Lou Donaldson, Quintet-Quartet

TOJJ-5022: Miles Davis, Volume 2

TOJJ-5023: Kenny Drew, Introducing the Kenny Drew Trio

TOJJ-5024: Howard McGhee, Volume 2

TOJJ-5025: Wynton Kelly, Piano Interpretations by Wynton Kelly

TOJJ-5026: Memorable Sessions

TOJJ-5028: J.J. Johnson with Clifford Brown

TOJJ-5029: Elmo Hope Trio

TOJJ-5030: Lou Donaldson-Clifford Brown

TOJJ-5032: Clifford Brown, New Star on the Horizon

TOJJ-5033: Gil Melle Quintet, Volume 2

TOJJ-5034: Horace Silver Trio, Volume 2

TOJJ-5035: Sal Salvador Quintet

TOJJ-5036: Urbie Green Septet

TOJJ-5037: Art Blakey, A Night at Birdland, Volume 1

TOJJ-5038: Art Blakey, A Night at Birdland, Volume 2

TOJJ-5039: Art Blakey, A Night at Birdland, Volume 3

TOJJ-5040: Miles Davis, Volume 3

TOJJ-5041: Bud Powell, The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume 2

TOJJ-5042: Tal Farlow Quartet

TOJJ-5043: Frank Foster Quintet

TOJJ-5044: Elmo Hope Quintet, Volume 2

TOJJ-5045: George Wallington and His Band

TOJJ-5053: Julius Watkins Sextet

TOJJ-5054: Gil Melle Quartet, Volume 3

TOJJ-5055: Lou Donaldson Sextet Volume 2

TOJJ-5056: Jutta Hipp Quintet

TOJJ-5057: J.J. Johnson, The Eminent J.J. Johnson

TOJJ-5058: Horace Silver Quintet, Volume 1

TOJJ-5059: Best from The West-Modern Sounds from California, Volume 1

TOJJ-5060: Best from The West-Modern Sounds from California, Volume 2

TOJJ-5062: Horace Silver Quintet, Volume 2

TOJJ-5063: Gil Melle Quintet, Volume 4

TOJJ-5064: Julius Watkins Sextet, Volume 2

TOJJ-5065: Kenny Dorham, Afro Cuban

TOJJ-5066: Hank Mobley Quartet

TOJJ-5067: Lou Mecca Quartet

TOJJ-5068: Herbie Nichols, The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Volume 1

TOJJ-5069: Herbie Nichols, The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Volume 2

TOJJ-5070: J.J. Johnson, The Eminent J.J. Johnson, Volume 3

Gil Melle -- I've got Vol. 3 but not the one you're after, so I look forward to adding it to the stax  (just kidding).

Good one!

I was just kidding about not bidding on them, also.

Been playing this one quite a bit lately: TOJJ-5043: Frank Foster Quintet.

One thing I notice, when I play a bunch of these one after another, is how different Miles' dates sound to the others and that I get some excercise.

King did some 10" twofers in the 80's. 2 10" titles on one 12' lp.

There were six of those (all with excellent anonymous remastering):

K18P-9271 Elmo Hope Trio & Quintet (BN 5029 and 5044)

K18P-9272 Herbie Nichols Trio (BN 5068 and 5069)

K18P-9273 Julius Watkins Sextet (BN 5053 and 5064)

K18P-9274 Howard McGhee All-Stars & Sextet (BN 5012 and 5024)

K18P-9275 Gil Melle Quintet & Sexstet (BN 5020 and 5033)

K18P-9276 George Wallington & His Band/Hank Mobley Quartet (BN 5045 and 5066)

Those came out in 1983.

Thanks all for the information and listings. I was just able to pick up (NOT on EBAY ;) ) the following Toshiba 10-inchers: Bud Powell Vol. 2, BN 5041; Lou Donaldson Sextet, BN 5055; and, The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vols. 1 and 2, BN 5068, 5069. All with OBIs. From what I've heard so far, they sound really good. I'm not sure they make a whole lot of practical sense, but I couldn't resist picking them up, as I will others in the series if/when they come my way. The formula is pretty simple: BN + vinyl= :D

I remember seeing the Errol Garner & Wynton Kelley things on Japanese 10", but this was in the '80s.

There was an expanded 12" issue of the Kelly 10" in the 80's, same goes for the Kenny Drew. Don't remember the name of the series, maybe Blue Note Piano collection. The Garner was not in it, as these were licensed recordings.

I remember seeing the Errol Garner & Wynton Kelley things on Japanese 10", but this was in the '80s.

There was an expanded 12" issue of the Kelly 10" in the 80's, same goes for the Kenny Drew. Don't remember the name of the series, maybe Blue Note Piano collection. The Garner was not in it, as these were licensed recordings.

The Erroll Garner BN albums were reissued back in the '70s by Blue Note France. Two 12-inchers (BNP 25101 'Ouverture to Dawn' and 25102 'Yesterdays') were released but were quickly withdrawn by BN France after representatives of the Erroll Garner estate moved into action. The two volumes became rare BN items.

Some of the items have since been published in the Erroll Garner Chronogical Classics series.

• 17 years later...

I bought two of the Melles, the Quintet/Sextet, and the Volume 2, and Howard McGhee's Vol.2 at Tower Records on East 4th Street, in the main Jazz section's record nook. Even in the late 1990s-early 2000s they continued to carry albums, not many, but enough to fill an approximately 8 foot-long rack. They had a lot of cheap OJC vinyl, European free jazz titles, and some expensive Japanese reissues. Next to it was the jazz-related book and magazine section, where they sold the Swing Journal, among other publications. I have three issues of that magazine that I got from there, just for the pictures. 
Tower had these 10" Toshiba-EMI Blue Notes priced at $28.99-$29.99, and they had maybe 10 titles. My records from the series have price stickers on the shrink wrap. 

Edited by Dmitry