RIP Ron Asheton

Robert J

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ANN ARBOR, MICH. – Punk guitarist Ron Asheton of The Stooges has been found dead in his Ann Arbor home. He was 60.

City police Sgt. Brad Hill says officers discovered Asheton early Tuesday after they were called to his home around midnight by an associate who had not heard from him in several days.

Hill says there were no signs of foul play, and the death appeared to be of natural causes.

Asheton was an original member of The Stooges, the influential protopunk band founded in Ann Arbor in 1967. Asheton's brother, Scott, was the band's drummer.

Asheton's distorted guitar was a hallmark of the Iggy Pop-led group's late-1960s and early-1970s sound. He was named the 29th greatest guitarist of all time in 2003 by Rolling Stone.

Classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_XCECbAEU...feature=related

chicago tribune story

The godfather of punk guitar, Ron Asheton of the Stooges, was found dead Tuesday in his Ann Arbor, Mich., home.

Asheton, 60, had not been heard from for a few days, and police were called to the guitarist’s house by his personal assistant to check on him. An investigation continues, but police do not suspect foul play..........

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/tur...guitar-pio.html

Fuck.

I had a very similar reaction. The Stooges were near the top of my personal pantheon when I was growing up.

At least they got to reform with Mike Watt on bass and tour extensively over the past several years, something I never expected to happen. Too bad I never got to see them play live. :bwallace:

Watt sent this out in an email today...

friends,

I'm thinking of ron asheton, a beautiful

man who I learned from much and shared many

joys w/and always played my heart out for

him. he was a pioneer w/a guitar sound all

his own and was very very kind to me...

"you're a good sailor" he would always say. I

can't find the words to really put it right

here but he was truly a righteous brother,

much deep respect. I miss him so so much.

big big love from watt