Khachaturian

Bright Moments

Only know the Spartacus ballet music - some great tunes. One is very well known in the UK - it was used as the theme music for a TV costume drama series in the 70s about the clipper ships. Always sounds like the wind filling the sails of a ship setting out on the ocean - though I believe it is love music in the ballet!

Only know the Spartacus ballet music - some great tunes. One is very well known in the UK - it was used as the theme music for a TV costume drama series in the 70s about the clipper ships. Always sounds like the wind filling the sails of a ship setting out on the ocean - though I believe it is love music in the ballet!

Ah yes, the "Onedin Line" :). Bombastic intro... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrxabPBu4gM

I have the piano concerto, which I'm more fond of than it necessarily really merits (at one time I had a real soft spot for 20th century piano concertos, of nearly any kind, what can I say).

I also have the violin concerto, a cello concerto, and his 2nd Symphony -- none of which I've listened to in ages.

Just put the piano concerto on, and enjoying it for the first time in probably a good 5 years.

Just put the piano concerto on, and enjoying it for the first time in probably a good 5 years.

Very nice 2nd movement -- and DAMN, the verison of this I just put on (1972 recording by Alicia de Larrocha and the London Phil) has what sounds like a god damn extended "musical saw" solo in the 2nd movement (playing in unision with the piano for a good couple minutes). The liner say it's a "flexatone", which they describe as bing "an imitation of an Armenian folk instrument". But it sounds just like a damn "

Edited by Rooster_Ties

hellz yeah dawg! its E.K. all the way....dude, i also got this really really really really strange set ive never heard of befroe: Symphony: The Airbone. Its some multimedia orchestreal, chorale, spoken word masterwork about world war II. heres the clinker: its by Mark Blitzstein who wrote cradle will rock and its conducted by leonard bernstein. 7 12" 78 rpm records, 14 sides of music, i have no idea what it is. ive never heard of it, its a little scary, but im pretty sure im not hallucinating it

any "must-have's" for my collection??

:excited:

still awaiting recommendations please!!!

:winky:

Hey, quit trying to derail our thread!

(That Temirkanov Gayaneh highlights is nice, especially if you can find it cheap. There's no need to hunt down a complete Gayaneh, unless you're really into evening-length boy-loves-girl-and-tractor Soviet ballets.)