Illinois Jacquet Mosaic

Bol

I would like to find out people's opinions about this set. I'm just beginning to enjoy pre-bebop jazz, and I thought I might like this. I've been listening to some old Blue Note recordings by the likes of Edmund Hall, Art Hodes, and (old pre-4000 series) Ike Quebec, and I've been enjoying them (to my surprise). Based upon the track samples on the Mosaic website I get the impression that Jacquet and Quebec are quite similar in their styles and temperament. Am I way off on this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The 40s Ike Quebec stuff, which was in a long-OOP Mosaic, is all excellent. There are single CDs of some of it ("Swing High, Swing Lo" etc.)

I think it fair to say that Ike and Illinois are similar - both out of the Hawkins and Webster school. If you like Ike, the Jacquet set would be a safe buy.

It's not one of my favorite Mosaic sets, and I really like Jacquet - his tone, his approach, his superior ballad artistry, etc. So yes, there are some definite parallels with Quebec.

The sound on the original Jacquet recordings was not great (even for the RCA stuff, somewhat surprising - they sound flat and dull, lacking high end and presence), and the box doesn't work any magic there. There is also quite a bit of formula jump playing, which means it's best enjoyed in small doses. Still, there is the superb material with Fats Navarro and JJ Johnson on board, and every time Jacquet plays a ballad it's worth dropping whatever you're doing and paying the utmost attention. And the jump stuff, well taken several tracks at a time it's great fun. So - I'm glad I have it, but again can't list it at the top of the Mosaic list.

Edited by DrJ

I like the Jacquet very much. It was among the first 10 of my Mosaics. I never did care about the sound, but it might be as good as possible with existing sources etc etc. It's from the forties, so no one expects something pristine.

The music often is quite r'n'b influenced, sometimes with vocals, some jump stuff, one big band session, and (this has been mentioned) there are many ballad masterpieces.

Get it while it's around!

ubu

I think of "jump" music as a mixture of 40's r&b with (perhaps pared down) big band swing music. Or as swing with a more gutbucket, bluesy approach.

If you've ever heard the music of Wynonie Harris, that's 'jump blues' if anything is.

Edited by BruceH

• 2 weeks later...

The Mosaic Jacquet box is one of my all-time favorites, especially Disc 3, with the big band and sextet ("Robbin's Nest") sessions. I hear a unique nexus of swing, bop, and nascent r&b in this music. It's headstrong, exciting, very swinging stuff, and most of the sessions include the great drummer Shadow Wilson, who really kicks things along. I thought the sound quality was very good, considering that the source material was mostly small, independent labels like Apollo and Savoy that didn't have the best equipment to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have album information for this set? I like to make mp3's out of my Mosaic sets and then arrange the tracks into the original album sequences. This particular set is a bit of a nightmare, and unlike many other Mosaic sets, the original album names are not given. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have album information for this set?Ā  I like to make mp3's out of my Mosaic sets and then arrange the tracks into the original album sequences.Ā  This particular set is a bit of a nightmare, and unlike many other Mosaic sets, the original album names are not given.Ā  Any help would be appreciated.

Vibes,

Didn't most of these originally come out as 78s/singles? I know they eventually showed up on album compilations...

Does anyone have album information for this set?Ā  I like to make mp3's out of my Mosaic sets and then arrange the tracks into the original album sequences.Ā  This particular set is a bit of a nightmare, and unlike many other Mosaic sets, the original album names are not given.Ā  Any help would be appreciated.

Vibes,

Didn't most of these originally come out as 78s/singles? I know they eventually showed up on album compilations...

I believe you're right, but even having that information would be helpful--the catalog numbers are given, but the corresponding single/78 info is not.

According to Mosaic's online Jacquet discography info about 78 releases *is* included. Or maybe I misunderstood what you're looking for?

By the way, Mosaic left one track (Don't Push Daddy) off the set, at the request of Jacquet, who didn't like his solo. This track can be found on the Classics volume 1946-1947.

That information is just like what you get in the Mosaic booklet. Maybe I'm just dumb/inexperienced with this sort of thing, but I was under the impression there should be titles of singles/78's next to the catalog numbers provided in the discography. I'm also interested in original track order as well.

According to Mosaic's online Jacquet discography info about 78 releases *is* included. Or maybe I misunderstood what you're looking for?

By the way, Mosaic left one track (Don't Push Daddy) off the set, at the request of Jacquet, who didn't like his solo. This track can be found on the Classics volume 1946-1947.

And Mosaic should not have released the set as The Complete Illinois Jacquet Sessions.

That 'Don't Push Daddy' is not bad at all by the way, it just shows Jacquet running out of inspiration at the end of his solo and being stuck on a one note spin!

Have this on the French Aladdin vinyl 'The Complete Aladdin Sessions Illinois Jacquet' that was put out - with some help from Michael Cuscuna - in 1983 by Gilles Petard, the man responsible for the Chronogical Classics series.

That 'Don't Push Daddy' is not bad at all by the way, it just shows Jacquet running out of inspiration at the end of his solo and being stuck on a one note spin!

And how is that different from several other solos on this set? :g

Some good stuff on this one, but it is the most formulaic and least favorite of the Mosaic sets I have...

I just won this off ebay and rather like it. Favorite? Of course not, given I'm more of a post-bop fan, but it's a nice addition to my colleciton. The only thing that's tough about it is that 78s, singles and LP versions of the same tune are right next to each other and, like CDs with alternate takes, I don't like listening to the same song more than once in a row.

I have the Jacquet, but it's not one of my favorites. A little bit of r&b goes a long way for me and there's just too much JATP, Flying Home-style blowing on this one for my tastes. On any Mosaic you're likely to find enough good things to make it worth the investment, and, Lord knows when Jacquet toned himself down, he could be a wonderful player, but it's all a matter of balance. I know any of the sets moving to "Running Low" or "Last Chance" status take on an increased patina of desirability, but, frankly, if it was up to me, I would spend what money I had on something else from the catalog.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 11 years later...

Still a favourite set!

Remember when teenage me was teaching my old man the difference of the Bean v. Pres schools, after having listened to this set in depth (Pres *was* the original honker, after all), as if he absolutely needed to care ... the fact that he didn't really pay much attention, even less so when I went into explaining how Pres AND Hawk could be discerned as influences on Jacquet's playing seemed scandalous to young meĀ :lol: