Mosaic's "End of January" Selects and Singles sale

J.A.W.

Among the sets, I can endorse the Pacific Jazz Trios (the Twardzik material is essential, the Clare Fischer is close to that), the Mulligan, and the Dizzy Reece. Not all the Mulligan material is a total success, but the mastering on the sax section date is a huge upgrade. The Brookmeyer I've been waffling over getting, in part because I already have a fair bit of it but also because I recall not liking the date with the Big Miller vocals -- not for Miller's presence alone; the feel of that date just seemed rhythmically loggy. There's also something a bit loggy (at times) and also "twee" about the "Traditionalism Revisited" date IMO. On the other hand, I've always wanted to hear the "Street Swingers" material, and that may push me over the edge.

I would like some advice myself about the Andrew Hill solo set; the sound samples I've heard sound like he's in a nice place or places, then breaks continuity to the point where I can't figure out what he's thinking. I know, it's probably my problem, but I've heard lot of Hill before, and this left me befuddled.

The Andrew Hill solo material is not very similar to the rest of his output, to my ears. It reminds me somewhat of Keith Jarrett's "Koln Concert" vs. Jarrett's Impulse material, although the comparison is not perfect. What I mean is that in both cases, the solo material is long, comparatively lyrical and not as focused as the rest of his output.

Also, purely my opinion, in both the Hill and Jarrett solo recordings, the memorable moments are fewer and more far between, compared to their earlier small group recordings.

Nicely put there Hot Ptah. Thats the kind of review I appreciate.

The Andrew Hill solo material is not very similar to the rest of his output, to my ears. It reminds me somewhat of Keith Jarrett's "Koln Concert" vs. Jarrett's Impulse material, although the comparison is not perfect. What I mean is that in both cases, the solo material is long, comparatively lyrical and not as focused as the rest of his output.

Also, purely my opinion, in both the Hill and Jarrett solo recordings, the memorable moments are fewer and more far between, compared to their earlier small group recordings.

Well put. It's pretty much how I feel about the Hill solo set.

Ever since I bought it I've been thinking of selling it. It just doesn't grab me as much as Hill's earlier small-group sessions; some (and at times much) of the tension is lacking.

Edited by J.A.W.

Even though you guys didn't directly answer my question... :blush: this has me thinking :huh: :huh:

If anyone (other than me) has the Hill CD - Live at Montreux... How does that compare to the Solo Select?? I believe they were recorded around the same time... 1975 v. 1978... :unsure: :unsure:

Well put. It's pretty much how I feel about the Hill solo set.

Ever since I bought it I've been thinking of selling it. It just doesn't grab me as much as Hill's earlier small-group sessions; some (and at times much) of the tension is lacking.

Edited by tranemonk

It's much less riveting and focused than "Montreux." It's more ruminative, rubato. . . I like it but I like this sort of thing. There was a time when sitting in a darkened room with a piano was the highlight of my week, odd as that is as I'm not really a pianist. I'm a fan of solo piano. But this set is different than "Montreux" or "Hommages". . . as Hot Ptah and J. A. W. point out.

But if I already have Katanga, do I "need" the Select?

For my money, this session from the Amy select is very tasty -- maybe even nearly as good as "Katanga"...

( C ) "GROOVIN’ BLUE" Curtis Amy, tenor sax; Carmell Jones, trumpet; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Frank Strazzeri, piano; Jimmy Bond, bass; Frank Butler, drums.

:tup

The Brookmeyer I've been waffling over getting, in part because I already have a fair bit of it but also because I recall not liking the date with the Big Miller vocals -- not for Miller's presence alone; the feel of that date just seemed rhythmically loggy. There's also something a bit loggy (at times) and also "twee" about the "Traditionalism Revisited" date IMO. On the other hand, I've always wanted to hear the "Street Swingers" material, and that may push me over the edge.

Just my opinion, but this set bored me, so if you already have a "fair bit of it," that's probably all you need.

The Brookmeyer I've been waffling over getting, in part because I already have a fair bit of it but also because I recall not liking the date with the Big Miller vocals -- not for Miller's presence alone; the feel of that date just seemed rhythmically loggy. There's also something a bit loggy (at times) and also "twee" about the "Traditionalism Revisited" date IMO. On the other hand, I've always wanted to hear the "Street Swingers" material, and that may push me over the edge.

Just my opinion, but this set bored me, so if you already have a "fair bit of it," that's probably all you need.

Well, let me just say that this set is one of my favorite Selects. It grew on me, and I now consider it a great body of work. There is much here that doesn't come out and slap you in the face, but woos you over time. Very interesting new takes on older material, very mellow and swinging playing.

cool... thanks guys... i may refrain....

It's much less riveting and focused than "Montreux." It's more ruminative, rubato. . . I like it but I like this sort of thing. There was a time when sitting in a darkened room with a piano was the highlight of my week, odd as that is as I'm not really a pianist. I'm a fan of solo piano. But this set is different than "Montreux" or "Hommages". . . as Hot Ptah and J. A. W. point out.

Well, let me just say that this set is one of my favorite Selects. It grew on me, and I now consider it a great body of work. There is much here that doesn't come out and slap you in the face, but woos you over time. Very interesting new takes on older material, very mellow and swinging playing.

The Brookmeyer is a favorite of mine too. The guitar (Jim Hall and Jimmy Raney) mixes really nicely with the valve trombone--like Lon said, a mellow sound (but still swinging)

Put in a BIG order last week, and of the sale items -- I got the Hill Solo select, the Hutcherson select, and the Art Farmer single.

Wanted all three of them (sale or not), but was on the fence about the total amount ($) the order had gotten to (and was about to tell myself I could wait on the Hill and/or Hutcherson). The sale definitely push me over the edge to getting all three titles now.

Guest Bixieland

I really dig the Lee Wiley.

I was playing with the track order to make it become like a Sinatra concept album. Not Riddle, with session-men and great charts. Really nice, jazz-club backgrounds.

Look at the names in the band. Perfect for the vocals.

Wiley's delivery is super. I haven't heard anyone, except Sinatra, carry a word like that. Songs I've heard a million times ...blah blah blah, with lyrics I could recite in my blah, blah -- as they say -- "took on new meaning" as they say -- "as they say!"

One of the rich female vocalist experiences. I dig Billy Holiday. But Wiley's like a new shade on that. Think "as they say": pretty girl gets big in the 20s, sings for Paul Whitman, lived hard and looking back.

It's low.

1008.jpg

EDIT: How hammered was I when I made this post? :huh:

Edited by Bixieland

Guest Bixieland

I've got a sweaty trigger-finger on these... :excited:

Mulligan Select

Bechet Select

Onzy Select

Hill Solo

Farmer Single

JJ Single

and some nice to haves...

Patton Select

Braff Single

...this is really just a senseless addiction at this point...

warning of the Bechet Select... A LOT of alernate takes...!!!!! :angry: :angry: So many I had to send it back..... :beee: :beee:

I've got a sweaty trigger-finger on these... :excited:

Mulligan Select

Bechet Select

Onzy Select

Hill Solo

Farmer Single

JJ Single

and some nice to haves...

Patton Select

Braff Single

...this is really just a senseless addiction at this point...

• 1 year later...

It's a little irritating that the two Helen Merrill's aren't on sale along with the rest of the singles. Those are the only two I don't have!! <_<

greg mo

I was eying the Helen Merrill/Katz one today but was struck by the number of comments re: the substandard sound. If it's the odd comment or two, it's easy to dismiss it...but there seem to be a fair number here. So, what's the story? ...and who did the re-mastering anyway?

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1019

It's a little irritating that the two Helen Merrill's aren't on sale along with the rest of the singles. Those are the only two I don't have!! <_<

greg mo

I was eying the Helen Merrill/Katz one today but was struck by the number of comments re: the substandard sound. If it's the odd comment or two, it's easy to dismiss it...but there seem to be a fair number here. So, what's the story? ...and who did the re-mastering anyway?

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1019

I just read the comments and got the feeling that the negative opinions on the sound were posted by one and the same person. The style and contents of the negative posts are remarkably similar.

I haven't heard the CD, so I can't comment. Anyone else?