Mosaic's "End of January" Selects and Singles sale

J.A.W.

Just checked:

$1 = €0.75 / £0.69

€1 = $1.33 / £0.91

£1 = €1.10 / $1.45

Not that long ago it was £1 = $1.90, so I've actually been ordering a handful of things off of Amazon.co.uk, and even with the shipping it hasn't been too bad. Obviously only for things you just can't find on Amazon.com (which still beats the pants off almost anything in the UK cost-wise).

Got a question for you guys...

I had the Andrew Hill Solo Select a while back... I only gave it a couple of spins, couldn't get into and uncharacteristically sent it back to Mosaic... :unsure: :unsure:

Since then - I gave the Live at Montreux Solo CD a few more spins and am really liking it... :rolleyes:

So for those of you who purchased it... should I use this sale as a opportunity to correct my mistake???? :huh: :huh:

Edited by tranemonk

Among the sets, I can endorse the Pacific Jazz Trios (the Twardzik material is essential, the Clare Fischer is close to that), the Mulligan, and the Dizzy Reece. Not all the Mulligan material is a total success, but the mastering on the sax section date is a huge upgrade. The Brookmeyer I've been waffling over getting, in part because I already have a fair bit of it but also because I recall not liking the date with the Big Miller vocals -- not for Miller's presence alone; the feel of that date just seemed rhythmically loggy. There's also something a bit loggy (at times) and also "twee" about the "Traditionalism Revisited" date IMO. On the other hand, I've always wanted to hear the "Street Swingers" material, and that may push me over the edge.

I would like some advice myself about the Andrew Hill solo set; the sound samples I've heard sound like he's in a nice place or places, then breaks continuity to the point where I can't figure out what he's thinking. I know, it's probably my problem, but I've heard lot of Hill before, and this left me befuddled.

Of the singles, the Bud Freeman is fine, as is The Brothers, if you like those guys. I've been enjoying the Art Farmer more than I thought I would -- the Art of that particular period is not my favorite Farmer (very flugelhorny, if you know what I mean), but it's a good group, and the live setting definitely helps; there's some electricity in the air. Haven't heard the Mosaic version of the Wiley album, but have the old RCA LP and that's fine Wiley. Likewise with the Buddy Rich, if you like that band. By contrast, the Slide Hampton was a disappointment, a kind of "off," nervous/unsettled atmosphere on most tracks. Also, though I haven't heard the Mosaic version, I recall from way back when that the Braff album was kind of a dud -- and I say this as a Braff fan. I think it was an unhappy day in the studio, though on paper the band looks top notch. Maybe Ruby was put off by the Berigan premise -- he seems to be straining at times to sound "hot" and brassy -- though no doubt it didn't take much to put Ruby's back up.

Among the sets, I can endorse the Pacific Jazz Trios (the Twardzik material is essential, the Clare Fischer is close to that), the Mulligan, and the Dizzy Reece. Not all the Mulligan material is a total success, but the mastering on the sax section date is a huge upgrade. The Brookmeyer I've been waffling over getting, in part because I already have a fair bit of it but also because I recall not liking the date with the Big Miller vocals -- not for Miller's presence alone; the feel of that date just seemed rhythmically loggy. There's also something a bit loggy (at times) and also "twee" about the "Traditionalism Revisited" date IMO. On the other hand, I've always wanted to hear the "Street Swingers" material, and that may push me over the edge.

I would like some advice myself about the Andrew Hill solo set; the sound samples I've heard sound like he's in a nice place or places, then breaks continuity to the point where I can't figure out what he's thinking. I know, it's probably my problem, but I've heard lot of Hill before, and this left me befuddled.

The Andrew Hill solo material is not very similar to the rest of his output, to my ears. It reminds me somewhat of Keith Jarrett's "Koln Concert" vs. Jarrett's Impulse material, although the comparison is not perfect. What I mean is that in both cases, the solo material is long, comparatively lyrical and not as focused as the rest of his output.

Also, purely my opinion, in both the Hill and Jarrett solo recordings, the memorable moments are fewer and more far between, compared to their earlier small group recordings.

Edited by Hot Ptah