Blue Note CD-Rs now on Amazon

mjzee

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the board. "Blue Note Records has unlocked their voluminous vault and allowed Amazon Music to re-release more than 200 formerly out-of-print treasures. Landmark recordings, from across their 70 year history, now available again on CD, exclusively." See this link: LINK.

Lotsa OOP titles. Hank Mobley: A Slice of the Top, Far Away Lands; Julius Watkins; Edmond Hall; etc.

Edited by mjzee

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the board. "Blue Note Records has unlocked their voluminous vault and allowed Amazon Music to re-release more than 200 formerly out-of-print treasures. Landmark recordings, from across their 70 year history, now available again on CD, exclusively." See this link: LINK.

Lotsa OOP titles. Hank Mobley: A Slice of the Top, Third Season, etc.

Why release these as CD-Rs? Why not just straight downloads?

Lotsa OOP titles. Hank Mobley: A Slice of the Top, Third Season, etc.

Why release these as CD-Rs? Why not just straight downloads?

My guess? They expect a generally older demographic that's "frightened" of digital downloads.

That, and they're hoping just to fool a few people into thinking these are regular ol' CDs.

How do they work out these prices? Horace Parlan's Us Three, more than $31.!!!!!

That seems to be an exception, maybe an error. I can't see why this should be more expensive than the others. There are far more rare titles in the list (Odyssey Of Iska. Gil Mellé, etc)

Having samplers in this programme like the "Jazz profile" CDs with McCoy Tyner or Gerry Mulligan , at $15, seems quite silly.

Edited by Claude

I really like Big Mamma's Biscuits! As for the prices, my thought is these are manufactured one by one, on demand. Handcrafted, if you will. I can see that being expensive. I'd have preferred them being cheaper and available through downloads, but maybe that was part of the deal: it's only economically viable if there are no competing downloads to sap sales.

Hi all.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

That, and they're hoping just to fool a few people into thinking these are regular ol' CDs.

Just had to chime in and say, "Yep, they got me." I recently got back "into" listening to jazz, and I've been adding a lot of CDs from Amazon to fill some gaps in my collection. I had noted a couple of Blue Note titles that were CD-R and skipped them, but I missed the fact that Duke Pearson's Wahoo! was such a reissue.

When I received the CD, I did note the fact that the booklet staples were straight through the middle of the front cover (not at the spine), but I wrote it off as a Blue Note manufacturing defect. Now I know it was an Amazon manufacturing defect!

Oh well. I copied the disc straight to my iTunes library and then put the disc into storage, so hopefully the sound quality is fine, even if the CD-R has issues down the road.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for some very entertaining reading in the time I've been lurking.

Hi all.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

Just had to chime in and say, "Yep, they got me." I recently got back "into" listening to jazz, and I've been adding a lot of CDs from Amazon to fill some gaps in my collection. I had noted a couple of Blue Note titles that were CD-R and skipped them, but I missed the fact that Duke Pearson's Wahoo! was such a reissue.

When I received the CD, I did note the fact that the booklet staples were straight through the middle of the front cover (not at the spine), but I wrote it off as a Blue Note manufacturing defect. Now I know it was an Amazon manufacturing defect!

Oh well. I copied the disc straight to my iTunes library and then put the disc into storage, so hopefully the sound quality is fine, even if the CD-R has issues down the road.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for some very entertaining reading in the time I've been lurking.

Welcome!!!

To be fair to Amazon, the product description says "CD-R" (as opposed to "Audio CD") right at the beginning, and the longer description text says "recordable media". So I don't believe they will fool anyone into thinking these are manufactured CDs.

This page gives details about how the scheme works: https://www.createspace.com/Products/CDOnDe...390.cspworker00

Edited by Claude

To be fair to Amazon, the product description says "CD-R" (as opposed to "Audio CD") right at the beginning, and the longer description text says "recordable media". So I don't believe they will fool anyone into thinking these are manufactured CDs.

Only those of us not paying attention. :D (Personally, I wasn't blaming Amazon, other than for the mis-stapling of the booklet.)

For what it's worth, while I might question the model/pricing, I have no concerns about the sound quality. They should sound identical to pressed CDs.

That's good to hear! Now that I've accidentally bought one, I'm kind of inclined to see what other ones I might want (though you're right that the prices are on the high side).

A couple of questions:

One: does anyone know if these are allowed to be sold on the "used" market at Amazon or Ebay and will they be correctly identified there as CD-R's?

Two: if anyone has one of these Blue Note CD-R's, would they be willing to scan the cover, tray card and cd, to see what they look like?

Thanks in advance!

HG