Ricardo Montalban, RIP

Talk to me about your rich Corinthian leather!

Quien es mas macho, Fernando Lamas o Ricardo Montalban? :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479941,00.html

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...0,4189863.story

The LA Times obit is too long to cut and paste, but here is something noteworthy that I didn't know:

"A deeply spiritual man, Montalban once said that the guiding force in his life was his Catholic faith. In 1998, Pope John Paul II made him a Knight Commander of St. Gregory, the highest honor bestowed upon non-clergy in the Roman Catholic Church."

In the late '70s or early '80s, I saw and reviewed Montalban in a Chicago-area production (somewhere in the suburbs, might have been a dinner theater) of Samson Raphaelson's 1935 comedy of manners "Accent on Youth" (Raphaelson also was an ace screenwriter -- "Trouble in Paradise" and "The Shop Around the Corner," among others), and while the venue might have been modest, Montalban gave one of the most delightful, stylish, committed performances I've ever seen anywhere. And it was not a star turn; he made it a true ensemble affair. Montalban had chops, wit, and intelligence; all thoughts of "rich Corinthian leather" vanished immediately.

BTW, I see that "Accent On Youth" is going to get a Broadway production this April, with David Hyde Pierce in the role that Montalban played:

http://www.mtc-nyc.org/current_season.asp

I see the La Times obit mentions Montalban's role as a undercover Mexican law enforcement official in Anthony Mann's "Border Incident" (1949). That's one hell of a movie, with one of the most harrowing death scenes ever filmed (won't say who gets it or how so as not to spoil things). Also, Howard da Silva is terrific as the chief villain.

Will always love his turn as Khan Noonian Singh in the "Space Seed" episode of the original Star Trek. Just saw that he only got $100,000 to reprise the role in the ST movie The Wrath of Khan. They really should have paid him more. Or else given him a little of the back end. Nobody else could have played that role.

Oh well. RIP

(He was also in one of my favorite war movies, Battleground.)

Edited by BruceH

Patrick McGoohan AND Ricardo Montalban die...PLUS Steve Jobs stepped down at Apple!

Courage, Alexander, courage.

Okay, Free For All, you win the geek-of-the-month award.

No, you do, because you got the joke!

Thank you; thank you very much.

No trophy or certificate necessary...I will however accept cash. :)

• 5 weeks later...