Modern Classical Music on the Radio?

Frisco

Any recommendations for places to hear modern classical music on the radio? I sometimes hear the occasional pieces on "Afternoon New Music" om WKCR but can't think of anything else. I used to co-host a program called "Delusions and Furies" (a take on Partch's Delusion of the Fury) on WHFR-FM. Now I incorporate some pieces at the tail end of my other program "Spirits Rejoice", mainly an avant-garde jazz program. What programs are out there playing exclusively the music of Xenakis, Stockhausen, Partch, etc....? I'd love to hear some.

Not sure about those specific composers, but there's a lot of contemporary music available via Internet. Unfortunately I can't give specifics, not having broadband. There are definitely good programs from BBC (Radio 3?) and Radio France, among others. Less certain about Stateside; if your tastes happen to align with Kyle Gann's, for instance, he puts out a "Postclassic Radio".

Don't have any suggestions, but am reminded of a story.

I was on a business trip years maybe 10 years ago, with just me and a high-price, snotty, not-very-helpful, young (mid-20's), female consultant -- who I never did find much to like about in any way.

During an hour drive back from a LONG day of training, and then dinner together (so it was at least mid-evening by this time), on the way home I let the 'scan' button on the rental-car radio do it's thing...

...and on comes this AMAZING piece of knock-out 20th century symphonic music. I *had* to know what it was -- and kept hoping the host would back announce it. Turned out to be a latter Roger Sessions symphony (Sessions was a fantastic mid-century serialist, IMO), and for at least a good 15 minutes I subjected this poor consultant to this music that I'm sure she found horridly annoying. (Prior trips the car that week revealed she listened to nothing but top-40 bubblegum music -- and this was circa 1999, 2000 -- so we're talkin' the crappiest of the crappy.)

Of course "the customer is always right", and she put up with it like a trooper. But for 15 minutes I was as delighted as could be to have annoyed her with that music, as she had annoyed me nearly every minute we worked together for about 2 months. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Any recommendations for places to hear modern classical music on the radio? I sometimes hear the occasional pieces on "Afternoon New Music" om WKCR but can't think of anything else.

On weekday mornings, WKCR also has classical programming. I tune in when I can to see if there's anything interesting. Too bad all their classical programming is during the weekday - normal working hours. <_<

I'm assuming you mean "current/contemporary" and not "modern" in the strict sense.

Frisco is quite specific:

What programs are out there playing exclusively the music of Xenakis, Stockhausen, Partch, etc....? I'd love to hear some.

I don't think Frisco is describing easy listening.