Gig a month in 2009 - a challenge

Many here regret not going to enough live jazz. So here's a challenge. One gig each month through 2009.

I can identify ones I definately want to go to - the challenge is making the effort in months when there is nothing obvious and hitting an unknown band.

My January concert is the Julian Arguelles Trio (with Michael Formanek and Tom Rainey) next Saturday.

Anyone up for trying to maintain this through 2009?

(I know for some living close to frequent live jazz this is no challenge...but to those of us away from the big centres...)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. Especially for folks out in the hinterlands, like me. I'll give it a whirl. Here's a calendar of what's going on in my immediate area over the next couple of months. (Notice James Moody coming to town in March, some dixieland jazz as well). I actually had my eye on the high school big band performances that are going to run all day Jan. 31. It's right up the street. ... Slightly more variety in metro areas to the north, which I'll now be investigating.

Oh, and Ellington Orchestra with Buster Cooper in March. ^_^

Edited by papsrus

Oh, and Ellington Orchestra with Buster Cooper in March. ^_^

'Tribute' orchestras can as a rule be a bit bland. But it's always good to hear these Ellington charts in the flesh. I recall a particular good performance of 'Such Sweet Thunder' by the Scottish National Orchestra under Tommy Smith about ten years ago.

Though I prefer it when the musicians take liberties - saw a great concert of Ellingtonia by a largish David Murray band with James Newton about ten years ago. I don't think that project ever got to disc (possibly the only project he never put on disc!!!!).

I've got my eye on this one for Feb:

Tomorrow's Warriors: Duke Ellington's The Queen Suite

Line up to follow

On 18 October 1958 Duke Ellington was presented to Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh at a private reception to mark the bicentenary of Leeds Festival. So inspired was Ellington by this meeting that he promised to compose a suite in honour of The Queen.

Inspired by the beauty and majesty of nature, The Queen's Suite - one of Ellington's most beautiful works which he dedicated to HM The Queen - remained hidden from the public until after Ellington's death when it received its premiere in 1998 in Oldham, UK performed by the Bob Wilber Orchestra.

Tomorrow's Warriors was set up by bassist Gary Crosby to showcase the best rising talent in the UK. Previous members include Abram Wilson, Soweto Kinch, Denys Baptiste and Jason Yarde, amongst many other established talents on the UK scene.

Gary Crosby always puts good bands of young musicians together.

This is the one I'm really looking forward to:

Thursday 21st May 8pm

Bonington Theatre

Tickets £12.00 - £10 concs/£5 students/children

Nikki Iles Sextet

Norma Winstone (vocals) Mark Lockheart (reeds) Nikki Iles (piano/accordian) Mike Walker (guitar) Steve Watts (bass) Jeff Williams (drums)

Nikki Iles and Mike Walker's almost telepathic empathy and energy are the perfect foil for exquisite lyricist and pioneering innovator of the voice in jazz, Norma Winstone. The repertoire will include originals by band members as well as exploring the relatively uncharted territory of Steve Swallow, Ralph Towner, Joni Mitchell and the poetry of Rupert Brooke, for an evening of music that defies categorisation. Brought together here by their collective love of song, these musicians cross the boundaries that traditionally separate jazz, folk music and the contemporary music world.

Iles, Lockheart, Winstone and Walker are four of my favourite musicians. Given the date, I suspect this might happen at Cheltenham and/or Bath too so I'll have to wait a bit before booking.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'll take that challenge...won't promise I'll stick to jazz...but I'll do it.

No, don't want to set daft rules about genres. I'm going to try and do 12 that have a jazz relationship; I suspect I'll be sucked into a few outside - just noticed a great Irish folk band at one of the local venues I've not seen for ten years or so (apart from a bit of an informal session in a pub in Sligo),

January ticked off - Julian Arguelles, Michael Formanek and Tom Rainey.

ArguellesJ10.jpg

Not my picture...found here http://www.russpix.co.uk/photo_102108.html

Great start - freewheeling, Ornettish post-bop (though Arguelles has nothing of the earthiness of Ornette; more Lester Young than Coleman Hawkins). I've heard Rainey quite a bit (he's a regular in the UK) and he was as wonderful as ever. Reminded me of the first time I saw Paul Motion in the mid-80s - a small, no nonsense kit yet what sounds! Formanek I've heard on record but never live - very impressive. I know arco playing is often frowned on but I loved his use of the bow.

Highlights - a tremendous pairing of two Spanish themed tracks, one slow and keening, the other uptempo flamenco influenced; and a magnificent closer called 'Redman' dedicated to Dewey. The spirit of Ed Blackwell was there too.

All new compositions - they had their CD of a couple of years back for sale but deliberately went for a fresh book. Which is how I like it - making the record and then touring it always strikes me as artistically back to front - work up the material live first and then record it! Of course, I can see why it makes commercial sense to tour the record. Which is, I suppose, one of the beauties of jazz - in most other musics listeners expect to hear things they know.

UK members can hear them at:

the Vortex, London (26 Jan)

Oliver’s, Greenwich (27 Jan)

Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Cardiff (28 Jan)

St George’s, Bristol (29 Jan)

Polish Catholic Centre, Sheffield (30 Jan)

Black Box, Belfast (31 Jan)

JJ Smyths, Dublin (1 Feb).

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 3 weeks later...

Not jazz, but I saw Falu on 1/4. She's a singer who calls her music 'Hindi-indie'. Nice gig at an unbeatable price(free). here's her website:

http://www.falumusic.com/

I also saw the Dave Holland Octet on 1/9, and it was stunning! Five horns(Trumpet- Alex Sipagian, Trombone- Robin Eubanks, Alto- Antonio Hart, Tenor- Chris Potter, baritone- Gary Smulyan) plus Steve Nelson on vibes and Nate Smith on drums. Tight, loose, swinging, powerful, delicate- they were like a small big band.

Coming up for February is Charlie Hunter on the 19th. I've never seen him play, so I'm excited

March is two consecutive nights of the Allman Brothers and the next day some traditional irish band(the David Munnelly band)

April is Jeff Beck

I went to my February live show this past Friday at Sullivan Hall in NYC and caught Charlie Hunter. Helluva show, Hunter was really enjoying himself and playing his ass off. he had a drummer, Hammond organ on every tune and he was joined by a bari sax and trumpet for some tunes. Big groove, appreciative crowd, loads of fun.

Opening up was a group called Otis Grove, an organ trio with guitar, and they were pretty good also.

Next month, three days, three concerts. 3/19 & 3/20 are Allman Brothers(Rumors abound that Eric Clapton will play on 3/20 & 3/21, but those rumors are around every year) and 3/21 is a traditional Irish Band.

• 1 month later...

Funny - my wife and I also agreed on trying to see some live gig every month this year.

Can't recall if we caught anything during February, but in January it was Cedar Walton with Javon Jackson, this month it was Ron Carter, and next month it will be a new jazz singer from Cameroon, Gino Sitson.

Edited by mikeweil

for those unfortunate people who live in areas not frequented by top jazz acts, have you ever considered getting together and hosting a free jazz concert at your local library featuring some local talent? I've seen some very enjoyable jazz/improvised music in some unlikely venues: art gallery, VFW, YMCA, etc. your local public radio station might be a good source of support and free advertising for such an event.

hell, i think it might be fun to bring some old swing recordings to a retirement community and play them for the residents. for me, some of the satisfaction i get from music performance is sharing that experience with others, whether it's in a club, at home with my dad, or even talking about it on the o-board. music is like laughter - it's much better when shared.